mickymcd

Prominent Member
Reaction score
My elderly father in law rang me today to inform me could i look at his sky box he was watching it and the picture went off during a storm a lot of lightening for around ten mins.He said he heard a crack them lost signal upon checking his system his box still ouputs ok via rf as he has a return path amp to various rooms.Also his lg lcd tv hdmi ports are no longer working so at present he can only watch via rf sadly he had no surge protect ext leads etc.Im certain there has been a lightening strike near and fried his hdmi on his sky stb and his tv although he dont belive me :) anyone else heard of this ? thx

Get him to try removing the power plug from the TV and Sky box wait a few minutes then powering up again?

Have you tried the box into different TVs? Might just be the tv that has gone bang. More common than you might think. HDMI does not like being hot plugged, let alone subjected to high voltage spikes.

ive tried the sky box into another tv via hdmi and it doesn't worth either not tried power down and unplug for a while yet ill inform him.He has his sky hd box in a back room which is feeding his main tv in the lounge which was affected this is fed via a pretty long hdmi cable prob 10m the other tv round the house are all fed via a return path amp and digieyes on each one.Only tv that has been affected is the hdmi fed one the 50" lg I need to try a freeview hdmi type pvr too on another tv as that may have gone pop as that was connected to that tv via hdmi 2

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom