Sky HD sound variance

steve081272

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi all. I dont know if its just me or not, but I am noticing a volume difference between SD and HD channels. For example if i switch from BBC1 to BBC HD showing the same broadcast the volume level drops significantly.

I feed the HD box through a Bose Lifestyle system and cannot find any setting that allows for an adjust. My old sony CRT had a setting that allowed volume to be equalised across all channels on my old Sky+ box ie CH4 louder than Bravo before being set.

So is anyone else experiencing similar problems with sound fed through just their TV or surround systems?

Any help or pointers greatly appreciated

Hi all. I dont know if its just me or not, but I am noticing a volume difference between SD and HD channels. For example if i switch from BBC1 to BBC HD showing the same broadcast the volume level drops significantly.

I feed the HD box through a Bose Lifestyle system and cannot find any setting that allows for an adjust. My old sony CRT had a setting that allowed volume to be equalised across all channels on my old Sky+ box ie CH4 louder than Bravo before being set.

So is anyone else experiencing similar problems with sound fed through just their TV or surround systems?

Any help or pointers greatly appreciated

This is a known issue and has been done to death on here.

Have a look here for one of the last threads on this subject, if you do a search you will find lots more! HTH.

ATB

Max

It's not a fault it's a feature (as a Microsoft engineer might say!:D) Many many posts here already on this (do a quick search).

But briefly, with HD you get Dolby Digital, which has a much bigger dynamic range, so the 'normal' sound level is set low to give headroom for the much higher peaks you can get with DD than regular stereo. You can't alter this balance with any Sky box setting. (Of course, if you get an amp then it's all different . . .)

Hi Max, you beat me to it again!

It's not a fault it's a feature (as a Microsoft engineer might say!:D) Many many posts here already on this (do a quick search).

But briefly, with HD you get Dolby Digital, which has a much bigger dynamic range, so the 'normal' sound level is set low to give headroom for the much higher peaks you can get with DD than regular stereo. You can't alter this balance with any Sky box setting. (Of course, if you get an amp then it's all different . . .)

Hi Max, you beat me to it again

Sorry Fredsie! :hiya:

I even did a search for the thread so you should have beat me to it this time! :thumbsup:

Your turn next! :smashin:

ATB

Max

Hi Max, you beat me to it again!
Thanks for that, but did I not receive DD on some movie broadcasts through my old Sky+ box and old Sony 5.1 sysytem connected with RGB scart and digital optical cable? If I remember corrcetly switching between 2.0 stereo and 5.1 surround on these movies did not result in a noticeable drop in percieved level. So where does that leave me?

Dunno, but this seems to be the way the HD box is set up for DD 5.1, and there's not much you can do about it. :(

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom