sky hd sound through home cinema speakers

Discussion in 'Sky Digital TV Forum' started by shoregirl, Jan 10, 2012.

1. shoregirl

shoregirl
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hello
    I need some help and am not very technical so forgive me if this query seems simple to you. I have a panasonic TX-37LZD800 television and a skyplus hd box. I have purchased a panasonic SC-BTT270 Blu ray home theatre sound system. The sound works fine on the dvd. I connected a digital optical cable from the sky box to the home cinema but got picture and no sound. I tried the cable from the home cinema to the television and got stereo but no cinema sound though sky. Can anyone advise what I need to do to get surround sound when using sky. Thanks

2. Broadz

Broadz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,423
    You need the optical cable between the Sky box and the home cinema for digital surround sound - but you also need to select the optical input as source on the home cinema. I suspect that it is still expecting the source to be DVD or Blu Ray, rather than the optical input (may be labelled OPT, AUX, D-IN or some other weird and wonderful name). You also need to set the optical out to Dolby D (rather than the default of Stereo) if you want Dolby Digital broadcasts (Sky Movies and some of the HD channels) to give you true 5.1 surround sound.

3. shoregirl

shoregirl
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for your prompt reply. I have connected the cable between the sky box and the cinema system and I think I have followed the remainder of your instructions although the prompts were not the same . Sky is operating on av1 with no sound but the cinema system is looking to operate on AV2 so I must have done something wrong?

4. Broadz

Broadz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,423
    Nothing to do with AV1 or AV2 - those are methods of connecting Sky and home cinema video outs to TV. You are looking for an audio in on the home cinema - which will be labelled something like EXT or AUX or D-In.

5. Stevenage Neil

Stevenage Neil

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +897
    The obvious question to ask, not related to the original question though, is why on earth are you using Scart video connections and not HDMI?

6. shoregirl

shoregirl
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    ok I have selected d-in on the home cinema menu and I am getting a message on the box saying cable audio signal not conditional. In answer to the question I am using hdmi cables.

7. logiciel

logiciel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,718
    Can you clarify that?
    On what "box" are you getting the message, and is that exactly what the message says?:confused:

8. shoregirl

shoregirl
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The message is on the front of the home cinema box and that is the exact message. Thanks

9. logiciel

logiciel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,718
    Is there anything in the manual to explain what it means, especially the "conditional"?:confused::)

10. HD sceptic

HD sceptic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +81
    Looking at the online manual, (p25) on the menu ensure ext-in is set to Digital-in.
    When watching sky, on your dvd remote press ext-in until the display shows D-In

On the Sky HD box ensure optical output is turned on, and set to Dolby-D

11. logiciel

logiciel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,718
    :)

12. Broadz

Broadz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,423
    After searching for this phrase using google, it seems that it is a common message that appears regarding Panasonic home cinema kit if it doesn't automatically recognise that the optical input is being fed a digital signal, or if optical input has been selected when there is nothing connected to it.

Supposedly pressing the status button (not sure whether this is on the remote or on the unit itself) will scroll through the entries until it says "cable audio on" - at which point the system will play the digital audio it is receiving from its optical input.