Sky HD & Sky Plus Together Wont Work !

Discussion in 'Sky Digital TV Forum' started by madgames, Aug 22, 2006.

1. madgames

madgames

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +83
    Hi
    I have had sky HD installed since day 1
    I also have sky plus upstairs in the bedroom , this worked for 2 weeks now all i can do with it is watch "normal" channels , i try and watch sky 1 etc and it says i need to upgrade my subscription. This is a fault in which apparently alot of people now have when using sky plus and a HD box together and the fault is skys end and the card thinks its a HD card (the one in the sky plus box)
    i have phoned sky over 25 times, apparently its an "upstairs IT dept" problem and they will call me back, they NEVER do.
    Having just come off the phone to them and being told im not the only one with ths problem and they are working on it but cannot give me a timescale of fix , days, weeks , months etc i thought i would post to see if anyone else has this very annoying problem.

Thanks
    John:devil:

2. Starburst

Starburst

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +975
    Have you sorted out some compensation for the duration of this problem, working on a fix is fine but you should not lose out in the mean time.

3. madgames

madgames

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +83
    well i dont think im paying for it , they tell me ill be reinbursed, all i want is sky plus upstairs, not too much to ask
    Sky = DEADBEATS

4. dns

dns
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    idiot.

I'm sure if you'd been involved in the implementation of SkyHD then every aspect of it would have worked perfectly from the outset.

5. Jonstone

Jonstone

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +543
    Whereas I would agree that it is very difficult to roll out a new product without any technical problems it is not acceptable to release a product and charge a not inconsiderate amount for it and not have even tested it with your own existing equipment.

Not finding the hdmi problem with pioneers during testing when they are one of the premier plasma manufacturers is one thing, not being able to operate one of your own boxes with another one is not acceptable and people have every right to complain about that.

6. madgames

madgames

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +83
    Dont call me an idiot you know nothing.
    you obviousdly think its normal for sky HD and sky plus to not work for over 2 months with no sign of a fix ??
    whos the bloody idiot

7. madgames

madgames

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +83
    oh and another thing, i guess by sticking up for sky in such a way you must work there or have something to do with them and as your so clever can you show them how to use a telephone properly as i have been promised over 18 times a call back within 24hours and guess what , not ever had ONE phone call back , thats great customer service that is.

8. one_grim_reaper

one_grim_reaper

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    I have Sky HD, Sky+, and 2 normal sky subscirptions and every single one of them works fine and has done since my install which was over 2 months ago.

They moved the main card from my Sky+ box when I had my install and put it into my HD box. The new card was put into the Sky+ box and worked straight away.

Crazy that you should be having this problem.

9. Ethan2000

Ethan2000

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +65
    dns, not the best reply mate really, If you have nothing constructive to say....................................

10. LFCRules

LFCRules

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +188
    DNS,

Please do not reply in this manner again, it is Rule 1 of the AVForums rules to not be abusive or insulting to other members.

All others, please do not reply to DNS's original comments, and keep on topic. Failure to do so will mean posts will be removed.

Thanks

Andy

11. CrispyToast

CrispyToast

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13

Your not alone I have the same problem, I also had to use just one sky card for awhile as they forgot to send me my new one, so maybe that was the cause. If i take my HD card and put it in the Sky+ box it works fine and I can view my recordings, but the sky+ card does not give me HD channels in the SkyHD box.
    Also had the run around from sky.
    Out of curiosity how old is your sky+ box madgames, mine is less than 1 year old and is the same as the Sky+160 box, but without the 160 logo.
    I really need this fixed with the tiny HD drive.

12. madgames

madgames

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +83
    Hiya
    Mine is the standard size sky box not the 160 but it is about 4 months old thats all, sky admit that the fault is the card and the only way to fix immediate is for me too purchase another HD box as they say the non working sky plus card will work fine in a HD box, i said i would purchase one at a heavily discounted price from them but gues what they wont sell one discounted at all, guess i just gotta wait a few more months till hopefully they can fix, its annoying as i have a sky plus box thats useless as it is :mad:

13. CrispyToast

CrispyToast

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    Your box should have a 160Gb drive in it like mine, that had just become the standard when I bought mine, it also looks like a 160 box.
    If thats sky answer to you there having a laugh, buy a £300 box for a card fault. It sounds like they need to issue some new cards and pair them up with the sky+ boxes.
    Sky's customer service stinks.

14. madgames

madgames

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +83
    yeah they do suck big time, how would i tell if its a 160 drive mate ?

15. CrispyToast

CrispyToast

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    Not sure, maybe on the back or under the services menu. I am in work now so can't check myself.

16. dns

dns
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Just so I'm clear on this, it's okay for madgames to call Sky employee's "Deadbeats" but I am not allowed to respond?

I'm sure this post will be deleted, but I would be very grateful if it was not.

Yes I work for Sky, and I can assure you that many many people have worked very very hard to bring you all this service - far far harder than their terms of employment dictates.

I am very sorry if SkyHD has not lived up to peoples expectations, as has been said before, it has only just launched and early adopters do usually tend to get the wrong end of the ****ty stick in situations such as this. But I can assure you that no matter what your view of the BSKYB corporation there are a huge amount of people working very hard to get this right and it is slightly demoralising to constantly read derogatory remarks from forum members who seem to think that Sky is staffed by incompetent fools and run by accountants who don't care.

Never forget that as consumers you have the choice not to subscribe and by the sounds of things many of you are going to take that path, however I wouldn't hold your breath for someone setting up a cheaper or superior service.

If it wasn't for Sky driving the market I doubt we would have seen any kind of nationally available HD service for many years.

Sorry for any offence caused.

17. CrispyToast

CrispyToast

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    An interesting reply dns.
    Could you tell us what you do at sky?
    and can you be of any help with our problems?
    You may not like to hear bad opinions of sky, but thats the nature of the industry sky is in. I will have invested £420 into Sky HD on top of my Sky+ package and thats alot of money to me so just like any other product I buy I want to see that my money has been well spent. If my amp or TV played up I would voice my opinion on that as well.
    "Never forget that as consumers you have the choice not to subscribe" ,but as there is no competion to sky in UK it a case of have it or nothing.
    Mabe as a Sky employee you can tell us how to activate the external sata port on the skyHD box so I can add more storage to it, now that would be helpful.
    Cheers

18. dazzafact

dazzafact

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +81
    Opinions are fine, I think, but to finish a comment with SKY- DEADBEATS would be quite offending to Sky employees. I too have had many problems with Sky and I'm currently considering reducing my package due to faults and poorer quality broadcasts but to generalise all at Sky as deadbeats would be quite wrong. Sorry if I sidestepped the topic slightly. :oops:

19. dns

dns
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    I would love to be able to help you all with these technical problems, unfortunately I work in production, not the technical side.

However, I do have access to people with influence and often ask them about the technical concerns I read about in this forum and I can assure you that they are doing everything they can to resolve these issues.

My opinion is that with a product of this complexity, that is subject to so many variables, it is simply impossible to test to 100% reliability - things are always going to slip through the net. What is important is that Sky is made aware of these issues and rectifies them in a timely manner - which I believe they are doing, already many of the apparent early problems have been solved, but software updates are fickle things and Sky has to be very careful that a fix to one part of the code doesn't have dire consequences somewhere else.

I understand that people are upset, SkyHD is a lot of money and it is disappointing if it doesn't live up to expectations but it is still very early days. There is only so much HD content out there and companies are only going to generate more content if they have somewhere to show it. Sky has provided that platform and hopefully the programmes will follow.

Before Sky announced SkyHD there were relatively few true HD outside broadcast trucks and certainly no HD broadcast infrastructure available. Due to Sky's HD commissions there are now new trucks appearing seeming on a weekly basis. It is doubtful that these facilities companies would have embraced HD without Sky's influence and hopefully when other broadcasters hire these trucks they too will originate in HD.

It is Sky that is driving HD in the UK and everyone is learning together - it is very unfortunate that consumers are having to participate in that learning process but that's just the nature of the product.

20. Deputy Dawg UK

Deputy Dawg UK

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +58
    I actually find Sky Customer Services really pleasant and helpful....Apart from that short period of time when I appeared to be continually getting put through a call centre the staff I speak to apppear to really try there best!!! (No i don't work for SKY) I think DNS is quite indicative of the sort of representative I seem to speak to!!

21. madgames

madgames

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +83
    thanks for the comments, i personally pay for 3 Sky HD feeds in various houses and quite a few sky plus boxes i have spent 1000s in the last few months
    I have no problem with HD it does what it does and works fine connected up to a Pioneer 436XDE via component , my original question and problem was however why cant my sky plus work upstairs ?
    I would not have thought a stupid issue like this would take over 2 months so far with no sign of an immediate fix.

Oh and my right to opt out of the service, well i was kindly informed yesterday that i am tied to a 1 year contract and if i stop my direct debit i would be in breach of this contract and in serious trouble, whether the service is usable or not !
    DNS you care to comment ?
    And im not pointing any sticks at you DNS but as you now admit you work there and obviously dont mind commenting what would you do in my situation ?
    Get your boss to call me witha HD box for £200 and ill be happy :)

22. madgames

madgames

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +83
    Just to let you know, this is still not working
    Sky so far have done nothing to help
    Its now getting beyond a joke

23. Dave P

Dave P

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    DNS, you and your colleagues may well be working hard at solving issues and concerns regarding HD and Sky+, no ones doubting that.

However, it has to be said that because of the ineptitude of the public facing services of Sky that to many customers it seems the left hand doesn't know what the right hand is doing.

As already quoted, you can call the same number with the same problem and depending on who you speak to, get totally different answers. As for the poor sole in this thread who's waited two months for a call back, that's disgracefull, but sadly I'm not suprised.

Sky really need to work on the customer service side of their organisation. Unfortunatley they have a monopoly on the industry, so they can charge what they like and don't give a monkeys about the customer.

I've had to deal with their 'customer services' loads of times and what the original poster said I find very typical.

And I'm in a very good position to comment and what does and doesn't make a good helpdesk as I worked on an award winning helpdesk for a multinational finance house for over ten years.

Sky customer service stinks, end of.

24. staxdoobie

staxdoobie

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +35
    Agreed. Sky and BT should slug it out for the title of Worst Customer Services. It would be a bloodbath.

Trouble is, both of these companies are just TOO BIG. And each monopolises its field in the market place. Which can only ever mean bad news for existing customers, sadly.