MattyMurph

Standard Member
Reaction score
We had Sky HD installed around 2 weeks ago. At the time our tv was not HD ready as we hadn't taken delivery of our new tv. The installer set the HD box up for the old style tv and told my wife that we'd have to change the settings on the Sky HD box when we connect the new tv. He showed her what to do when we got the new tv but now we have it she's forgot what he said, bless her.

Can anybody help me with the settings that I have to change?

The first thing you need to do is connect the box to the TV using the HDMI cable.

After that, change the output resolution setting on the receiver under - settings- picture to 1080i.

That's the box end of things done. Then you'll need to apply settings on your TV to suit, but that's something only you can do.

By the way, what make of box is it you have? Pace, Samsung, Thomson or Amstrad?

The old TV will probably have been connected to the Sky box with a scart cable. In order to view programmes in HD though, you will need to use an HDMI lead. If you haven't already done so, replace the scart with an HDMI cable.

You can change the HD output resolution if you wish in the Sky box's menu - the choices are 1080i, 720p, 576i or AUTO. I'd try using both 1080i and 720p for a while, then opt for the one which you think is better. You may not notice much difference though.

Edit:- Silver beat me to it!

Thanks for the replies guys. I've set it up but the difference doesn't seem so great. I'll have a play with the settings on the tv.

The Sky HD box is Amstrad, Silver.

Thanks for the replies guys. I've set it up but the difference doesn't seem so great. I'll have a play with the settings on the tv.

The Sky HD box is Amstrad, Silver.

You should notice a differece between HD an SD content. Remember though - not everything is broadcast in HD.

First, tune to an HD channel, and then make sure the programme you're watching is actually being broadcast in high definition. The info banner will say 'HD' along thetop if it is.

I'd try using both 1080i and 720p for a while, then opt for the one which you think is better.
On a Sky box, you should never, ever use 720p unless that's the only resolution the display will accept. 576p is always better for SD material, and 1080i always better for HD.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom