Sky+ HD set up

wellsc01

Standard Member
Hi, Can anyone tell a total AV virgin what i need to connect a Sky+ hd box to an Onkyo 605 reciever and a Panasonic DMP=BD55 blu ray player via a LG PK590 tv so that i can get HD audio from Sky, I've basically got to disconnect everything from my current set up (all in one) as far as i know all i will have left to use on new set up is a HD lead that currently runs between the tv and the sky box, i don't want to go and buy cables that i dont need so any advice would be appreciated. If anyone could recommend where to purchase what i need, that would be great also, i say this because my local Currys/Comet and alike are having a laugh with there prices. In anticipation, Col.:lease:

PSM1

Distinguished Member
You can not get HD audio from sky HD but if you want 5.1 surround sound then you need to connect it to the reciever via an optical cable. For the bluray player you need to connect it to the reciever via a HDMI cable to get HD audio. You can also connect the skyHD box to the reciever via the HDMI (as well as the optical) so that you can use the reciever to switch sources (but only has stereo sound via HDMI so need to assign the optical input to the HDMI input). If you want to use the internal tuner in tv then you will need to connect that to the reciever via an optical or phono cable as well.

wellsc01

Standard Member
Fantastic, thanks for that, shall start surfing for some cables, wont be using TV as a tuner so that just leaves me to find x1 optical and x2 hdmi :clap:.

wecpc

Standard Member
Fantastic, thanks for that, shall start surfing for some cables, wont be using TV as a tuner so that just leaves me to find x1 optical and x2 hdmi :clap:.
I tend to use the Digital coax cable instead of the optical cable as the optical cables are more delicate in constuction. Some I have bought in the past were very thin whereas the coax is a much heavier cable.

Colin

wellsc01

Standard Member
Thanks wecpc, will take your advice as the area behind the amp is very "busy" and will no doubt get even busier once i start putting everything together. Just have to decide on speakers now, and i can start enjoying the AMP. Col.

Trending threads

Top Bottom