Sky HD self installation 199 quid?

Discussion in 'Sky Digital TV Forum' started by eoconnor101, Sep 11, 2007.

1. eoconnor101

eoconnor101
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Did anyone else receive an offer from sky to buy an HD box for 199 quid and self-install? I just rang to accept their offer to have the most dimwitted guy take an hour to upgrade my service, only to have him insist that they schedule an engineer to visit for install. When i told him I wanted self installation, because I can't take time off work to watch some idiot screw a few cables, he stated that there was no way around it? I rang back to find out that this OFFER had expired and though they could still give me the HD box for 200, they could not, for, and I'm not kidding...'health and safety concerns', allow me to install it myself. Should I just buy one off Ebay or the gumtree, any suggestions as to which merchant, will I have a problem getting sky to activate my HD channels if I go this route?

Cheers,
    eric

2. cookds

cookds
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I just bought my Sky HD box yesterday morning from UK Satellite on Ebay for £188 including delivery. The package turned up yesterday afternoon because I'm local to them and it was simply a question of disconnecting my sky+ and connecting up the HD box. Rang Sky customer services lst night and got a very friendly and helpful lady who paired my sky card to the machine and had my HD channels up and running in a matter of minutes. No problems at all and HD picture looks amazing compared to what i had before through scart!

Both Sky and UK Satellite provided great service in this instance and I had no problem at all with Sky over buying my box from an independant retailer.

3. rusty73

rusty73

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +39
    It all depends if you've currently got Sky+ if you have then all that needs doing is changing over the connectors on the back of the Sky+ to HD. Even then its not that tricky to change the LNB over & run a new cable in.

4. Jaymzie

Jaymzie
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    I purchased a self install box from Mid Sat www.midsat.co.uk who I must say have been absolutely brilliant. I've had a couple of issues with the box and they've replaced it with no questions twice now. The installation was easy, I had to run another cable from my LNB as I didn't have + before but once that was done I followed the instructions available from AV Forums (search for self install) and after a software update on the box which was easy, and a call to sky to give them my mew serial number and upgrade my subscription it was all working and worth the effort. If Sky are worried about my health and safety then I'm glad they didn't see me clambering around on my roof :devil:

5. eoconnor101

eoconnor101
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I do not have sky plus, so does that mean that I'll have to run another cable from the dish to the box to get it to work, or only if I wish to record a channel that I'm not watching? I'm really not too bothered if I can only record when I'm away, but just out of curiosity, what does it take to run a second cable, do you split it right off the dish?

Cheers,
    Eric

6. Paul_HDLover

Paul_HDLover

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +164
    Eric,

If you only have standard Sky the chances are you may only have a single LNB which effectively means you can only run one cable from the dish LNB to your room. Although this is good enough for HD to work, you will be unable to use the features of Sky +.

I bought a SKY HD Quad LNB (Allows up to 4 connections) from ebay for about £3! Slide the old LNB Off your dish, assuming its not quad already and slide the new one on. Then its a case of swapping the existing coax to the new LNB and running a new length of coax from the second output on the LNB into your room. It really is easy and does not require an engineer.

Then you are able to maximise the use of the HD Box.

Connecting the box is nothing at all. Its a case of plugging the coax's in and powering on. Piece of p1ss!.

Good luck.

7. pmcgsmurf

pmcgsmurf

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +64
    Couldn't you just tell them you are a Sky "engineer"?

8. Paul_HDLover

Paul_HDLover

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +164
    Nah, he's overqualified. They would never believe him. :D

9. pmcgsmurf

pmcgsmurf

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +64
    Probably right. :)

Just tell them you trained at the Met. Office and are a Weatherman that should confuse them.

10. rob99

rob99

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +289
    I had the same offer and they said the
    offer had expired wouldn't budge on £30
    install , i will wait a bit longer see
    what they offer in the next couple of months.

11. Paul_HDLover

Paul_HDLover

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +164
    I bought my SKY HD box from satbuyer.co.uk for £199 and fitted it myself.

Sky can stick their £30 up their bahooky!

12. ian-d

ian-d

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +164
    lol, its amazing how much they'll charge to plug the digibox in and call sky! its always best to go down the self install route if you already have all the cables in place etc.

13. Drav

Drav
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I recently upgraded from Sky+ 2 weeks ago to HD. Being a customer for 5 years the box cost i was advised was £249 with a installation of £30. After unsucessfully haggling with the guy to let me have a box cheaper i agreed to the costs. However, when putting my order through the guy stated that his system was showing a £0 instalation charge. So not sure if upgrading from Sky+ actually carries an install charge or if i just got lucky

14. Paul_HDLover

Paul_HDLover

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +164
    Why are folk still buying from SKY anyway, i was a bit sceptical about ebay so bought it from www.satbuyer.co.uk for £199 with full installation instructions? Why pay more to SKY?

15. eoconnor101

eoconnor101
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I flagged it, couldn't be asked waiting for them or paying the extra dosh, went with UKsatellites on ebay for 188 quid including shipping and an lnb quad adapter. Supposed to be sent out tomorrow same day as tv. Will post feedback here if it all goes swimmingly.

cheers,
    Eric

16. niceguy235uk

niceguy235uk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +286
    I have just had a very similar conversation with a very polite young lady at Sky.

5 yrs being a customer and she was most excited about being able to offer me the box with £50 off for £249 plus £30 install!!!!

I asked if i could just purchase the box and do a self install and she said that she could not remove the insallation cost from the order.

So i declined their very generous offer of a reduced box and install which would have saved me £20! yes £20, and went on to ebay and bought one for £188 delivered.

Thats roughly a £100 saving on Sky.

Still, order done and i just hope it arrives and works ok :rolleyes: