Sky HD Scart Connection?

Mattjc

Standard Member
Sky HD is being installed this weekend, unfortunately my new HD Ready Plasma wont be delivered until some time next week, is it still possible to hook up the HD box to an old TV at the moment via scart, obviously I know I wont get the HD programmes.

I believe the SKY HD package should contain the HDMI Lead so ill make sure the engineer leaves one, then its just a case of swapping the scarts for the HDMI on the new TV when it arrives

I've got an SCPT860 Unit to, so eventually it will be HDMI from TV to DVD Unit, HDMI from Sky to TV, plus optical from SKY HD box to DVD unit for the surrond sound, I believe that is all the sound input I need?

Thanks

Mat

Mac User

Yes it is possible to connect the HD box via scart to a non HD tv, Hopefully the Sky installer will have some 'savvy' and notice that currently you don't have a 'HD ready' tv and because of this he will connect it to your existing tv via scart

[you beat me to it]

yes, just use the scart to your non hd tv.

I have not done this, but all outputs are active so I don't see why this would be a problem.

JimmyT

Novice Member
Yes it is possible to connect the HD box via scart to a non HD tv, Hopefully the Sky installer will have some 'savvy' and notice that currently you don't have a 'HD ready' tv and because of this he will connect it to your existing tv via scart
If he doesnt have any savvy then you are stuffed. He will have an awful problem plugging the HDMI cable into your scart socket :).

I use the scart for a wireless sender so no problem using that.

Broadz

obviously I know I wont get the HD programmes.
You will get the HD programmes. But you will only be able to watch a downscaled picture of them via scart. But, you could (say) record a programme on History HD or Sky Movies HD then watch it later once your HD television arrives.

D

Deleted member 380232

I would make sure he leaves a HDMI cable though - I don't think they come in the box and I know Telewest used to be really fussy about not giving you one unless you had an HDMI socket - Sky are probably equally tight-fisted.

and yes - scart works fine - I use mine for a second telly

BrianMc

Novice Member
I would make sure he leaves a HDMI cable though - I don't think they come in the box and I know Telewest used to be really fussy about not giving you one unless you had an HDMI socket - Sky are probably equally tight-fisted.
They aren't actually!!!! - one comes in the box.

Mattjc

Standard Member
Thanks for the responses guys, Ill just hope Ive got a nice engineer who will leave a HDMI and make sure the scart is out ready for him for the time being, off to get another HDMI today for new TV to DVD unit and optical cable for SKY HD unit to DVD unit, so hopefully ill have surrond sound this weekend as well coming from SKY

Mat

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: CES 2021 Special - Sony, LG, Panasonic, Samsung, TCL and Hisense TV news and more...
Top Bottom