Sky HD & Scaler (DVDO HD) + HDCP??

jimborae

Prominent Member
Reaction score
Quick question from an idiot :)

I have Sky HD coming tomorrow and I presume that if I want to continue using a scaler in my setup I will need to get one that supports HDCP if I want to put Sky HD through it, correct??

Therefore I beleive the DVDO iScan HD that I have been offered for a good price wouldn't be any good for my plans as it's not HDCP compliant.

Is my thinking correct?

Cheers

James

correct. HD+ or VPxx is needed.
although you could phaff around with component, but i dont know how good the result would be

The HD doesn't do any HD processing anyway.

The HD doesn't do any HD processing anyway.

Thanks for the replies guys.

Liam, just so I'm clear are you saying that it wont take a 720i or 1080i input & scale it to 768p as that what I was planning on doing. And using it to scale 576i for standard definition as well all through the dvi input using an hdmi to dvi lead from the Sky HD box.

Hmmm my cunning plan may have gone astray. :)

Ok, I've re-read the spec sheet. Well spotted Liam, I missed that it only passes through HD content.

I either need to re think my plans or save more money to get an HD+ or Lumagen equivalent. Bugger!!

Thanks for your help

Regards

James

It also wouldn't be able to do 576i HDMI since the HD doesn't support it as an input iirc, either way it isn't able to force it out of the sky box as an output!!! You need a VP50 for Prep on the 576p output, otherwise a Lumagen with EDID editing facility.

I think the original HD didn't support 480i/576i over DVI, but a firware upgrade a year ot two ago fixed that. Thankfully.

But yes, PREP or EDID capability would be needed to make the most of SD from Sky HD.

Has DVDO stated that the VP30 definitely won't get a PREP upgrade - isn't that on the cards? Don't forget the VantageHD will do EDID edit, too.

Nick

I have asked this as well but got no answer.

Hi Nick, & Nic
iirc, not a single hd+ upgrade was released after the vp30 came out. I would expect the same policy now. I don't think they'll use scarce resources on old products

So thinking about this a bit more my best (read cheapest option) would be to let the Sky HD box & panel (PH9) do all the scaling. I then keep my Lumagen Vision for scaling duties to my pj (Sharp ZX91E) which has no digital inputs.

Either that or spend much more money & get a VP50 or Lumagen equivalent.

Yes. But don't let the Sky box do any of the scaling, set it to Auto :)

Yes. But don't let the Sky box do any of the scaling, set it to Auto :)

I take it you feel the panel will do a better job of scaling a SD picture than the Sky HD box then.

This is going to be interesting to play around with me thinks.

Yeah I think it probably will. The only other option worth trying of course is forced 1080i. Isn't too awful but in my setup, noticeably worse than Auto.

I take the SD source from the Sky HD box from the scart lead with a Scart-RGBs lead (red,blue,green and the white sync-RGBs I think or is it RGsB) you can get this lead from Keene's. Very noticable results and Sky box can stay on 1080i output then.
Cheers

Well just had the Sky HD box delivered and I'm currently watching Crash in HD. Gotta say I'm very underwhelmed. The quality is no better than playing the film in SD via my DV88+ and being upscaled by my ageing Lumagen Vision!

Have to see what other channels are like but it looks like this could be a bit of a waste of money :(

The Panasonic doesn't do 2:2 detection for HD afaik, so it is not being processed at full resolution like the Lumagen is doing for your DVDs. But this may not be it, it is more likely the poor bitrate Sky use for some films. Check BBC HD, much nicer picture than most of the official Sky HD channels...

Yep it's poor bit rate, BBC HD looked very good. Nearly as good as through my Humax decoder.

Choddo you're right, set the box to auto and the picture on standard definition via HDMI, when given enough bandwidth, is very, very good. CSI NY on Channel 5 is looking fantastic right now. Easily as good as Crash looked this afternoon which was supposed to be HD. Obviously the scaler in the PH9 is actually quite good.

Thanks for all your help guys.

The Panasonic doesn't do 2:2 detection for HD afaik, so it is not being processed at full resolution like the Lumagen is doing for your DVDs.
I had the idean in the back of my head for a long time that the Panasonic PH series did do 1080i film mode, but I'm not certain. Perhaps it's only 3:2 and not the more difficult 2:2?

Nick :confused:

It might have been introduced this generation, but I don't remember seeing it. TBH I'm not so sure they've got 2:2 for SD working either! Certainly wasn't in the spec for the 7th gen and I think the 8th. The specsheets seem to stop mentioning cadence detection at all after gen 7.

The BD player does though. Typical Panasonic left arm not knowing right arm...

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom