• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Sky HD Samples - Poor quality?

Rob_Quads

Having just downloaded the sample clips from Skys web site I really hope that is not the quality of the picture they are going to be broadcasting. They look really poor and not really that much better than SD. Having seen other HD footage of similar activities it makes these clips look a very bad.

Anyone else think they are rather poor?

If this is the quality that Sky will be broadcasting there is no way it will be worth the investment.

McBain

Standard Member
Indeed - compared to other HD material (running on the same machine) the clips are crap. Fingers crossed this is no real representation of what we'll be getting...

rimibar

Rob_Quads said:
Having just downloaded the sample clips from Skys web site

Hi Rob - where did you download them from? Do you mean the Flash movies embedded into the HD pages?

Rob_Quads

www.sky.com/hd

If you click on EXPLORE....MENU....More To Explore..HD Video Clips

Stephen Neal

Distinguished Member
Yep - I agree. I suspect they are marketing / website led, and don't indicate Sky's aim for broadcast quality.

They are 1440x1080 anamorphic Windows Media, and are all 25p (or 30p?) There is no 50p or 50i content - and the compression has been quite poorly implemented.

It is likely that Sky will use 1280x720/50p or 1920x1080/50i for transmission (though 1440x1080 and 1280x1080 are also possibilities - and in use in Aus and the US respectively in some applications) - and they are using MPEG4 H264 AVC not Windows Media.

I wouldn't make quality judgements about their broadcasts based on these clips - they are too far removed from the Sky HD broadcast system.

seanpatrick

Standard Member
At the top of the download page on the site it says, "The sample clips have been encoded... at a lower bitrate than you will find on Sky HD and hence are not exact representation of the Sky HD service."

So hopefully the real quality will be better.

FYI I saw a demo of HD content in CostCo yesterday - they were running some Sony HD demo clips on all their HD Ready TVs and it was very impressive.

Rob_Quads

Hadn't seen that comment on the site. It should say

"Completelty ignore these videos as they are a complete waste of space and a representation of nothing."

seanpatrick

Standard Member
Rob_Quads said:
Hadn't seen that comment on the site. It should say

"Completelty ignore these videos as they are a complete waste of space and a representation of nothing."

:D Agreed - you do kinda wonder what the point is of putting the videos up if they don't bear much resemblance to the actual quality / format etc!

The latest video from AVForums

Fidelity in Motion's David Mackenzie talks about his work on disc encoding & the future of Blu-ray
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom