Sky+ HD RF2 Output magic eye issue -

harrisiain

Standard Member
Hi, I was wondering if anyone could help me?

I have a Sky+HD Box, I have a cable from RF2 to a TV in another room with a Magic Eye in it. The light is on the magic eye so the connection is ok.

I have turned on the RF2 output, re-tuned my TV but I dont get any picture on the other TV. I have tried changing the RF out channel, re-tuning again but still nothing.

Does anyone have any suggestions as I dont know what else to try!!

Thanks in advance.

Iain

Broadz

I have turned on the RF2 output, re-tuned my TV but I dont get any picture on the other TV. I have tried changing the RF out channel, re-tuning again but still nothing.
And are you retuning the remote TV to the same frequency that you have reset the Sky box to output its RF signal on?

harrisiain

Standard Member
johnbyte- yes, retuned analogue channels on the other tv.

broadz - how would I know this? I set the rf output from the standard 68 to channel 55, retuned the analogue channels, went to channel 55 and got the snow storm!

logiciel

55 is likely to clash with a terrestrial mux.
Check what channels your terrestrials are on, then pick one well away from any,

Johnbyte

Novice Member
Do have a terrestrial aerial connected to the RFin/aerial socket of the sky box? If so, you should be able to tune in the terrestrial tv channels on the tv connected to RF2.

Broadz

broadz - how would I know this? I set the rf output from the standard 68 to channel 55, retuned the analogue channels, went to channel 55 and got the snow storm!
I hope you didn't go to channel 55 by pressing the 5 key twice on your TV remote. Because channel 55 on your Sky box out - and channel 55 on your TV's tuner - are not the same thing at all. You need to tune one of your analogue channels - doesn't matter which one any longer as you have probably had analogue TV turned off anyway - to frequency 55 using your TV's manual tuner. Then select this channel (i.e. channel 1 or channel 6) through key presses. Not by selecting channel 55 through key presses.

Johnbyte

Novice Member
..doesn't matter which one any longer as you have probably had analogue TV turned off anyway...
Not so, surely? The digital frequencies are in the same range as the old analogue ones, and can, therefore, still interfere with the analogue RF output from the Sky box. Indeed, after switchover, there are 6 muxes rather than the 5 before, so even less choice of an interference free channel available for the Sky box to use.

Broadz

I mean he can select channel 1 on his TV (which was his old analogue BBC1). Or he could select channel 2 on his TV (which was his old analogue BBC2). Etc etc etc.

What I am suggesting is that he no longer has to store it on his old analogue channel 6, whichever frequency he tunes his analogue tuner in to. Because channels 1 to 5 are no longer reserved for the five analogue terrestrial channels he was picking up prior to DSO.

Don't get channels and frequencies which mixed up - which is what I suspect the OP is doing. Frequencies are the numbers between 21 and 68 that the Sky box outputs a terrestrial signal on - even though they call them channels. Channel numbers are 1 to 99 (or whatever a TV analogue tuner goes up to) and are selected by keying in a 1 or 2 digit number on the TV remote control to select that channel number on the TV. In the past people would have suggested he stored the Sky analogue frequency on channel 6. Now, he no longer has to.

Johnbyte

Novice Member
I see what you mean. And I've just been guilty of exactly that by saying an interference free 'channel' when I should have said an interference free 'frequency'!

logiciel

retuned the analogue channels, went to channel 55
That he went to "channel" 55 after retuning could be taken to mean that he did press 5 5 on the remote. :)

harrisiain

Standard Member
Thanks for all the really useful replies, I feel like I am making progress!

I was confusing channels and frequency, however now I have set the RF output to 21, retuned my other TV to frequency 21 as instructed and there is a very very weak signal sky picture coming through (and sound).

I have got two coax cables joined together as I dont have one that is long enough, could this be affecting the picture quality? If not, any other suggestions?? If the magic eye has the green LED lit would that not indicate the signal strength is strong enough?

Thanks again...

Broadz

If the magic eye has the green LED lit would that not indicate the signal strength is strong enough?
Not in the slightest. The green light on the Magic Eye indicates that the RF power out on the Sky box is working. This has no impact on the (lack of) signal strength. If the picture isn't very good, try tuning to a different frequency (on both Sky box and TV).

logiciel

I wouldn't have started at the bottom of the channel range, and the default channel 68 should be all right.

Carib

Standard Member
Thanks for all the really useful replies, I feel like I am making progress!

I have got two coax cables joined together as I dont have one that is long enough, could this be affecting the picture quality? If not, any other suggestions?? If the magic eye has the green LED lit would that not indicate the signal strength is strong enough?
I had similar ish problem a while back and ultimately replaced the connectors to get the best connection possible connection and that seemed to resolve the issue.

harrisiain

Standard Member
I wouldn't have started at the bottom of the channel range, and the default channel 68 should be all right.
I've tried output 68 as well as a few others and don't even get a faint signal. I'm re-tuning the frequency appropriatly with no joy. Any reasons only channel 21 would work (all be it with a weak signal)??

logiciel

Take it a step at a time, from the source, to track down where the problem is. If you haven't already done so connect Sky RF 1 Out with a short cable to main TV and run its analogue tuner to determine what channel is being output. Check that you get the same result from RF2 Out. Try a longer cable from both to main TV, and then bring in extension TV and try them on that. Those steps should go some way towards locating the problem.
That only channel 21 works now actually adds to the mystery!