Sky HD RF2/Loftbox/Magic Eye issues

Discussion in 'Sky Digital TV Forum' started by JayDecay, Aug 10, 2012.

1. JayDecay

JayDecay
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi all,

Been messing around for nearly 2 days now and have got nowhere in fixing my issues so thought Id ask the experts!

For the last year or so we have had a SKY+ HD box with the RF2 signal being returned to a Global 8 way loftbox and all rooms have received a fairly decent signal (we have no aeriel so the sky feed is the only signal being distrubted by the loftbox)

We had a TVLink magic eye in the kitchen which has always worked without any issues.

I recently picked up a cheap unbranded magic eye to go in the bedroom and for the 1st couple of weeks all worked well (the bedroom magic eye even seemed to accept the commands from an old sky plus remote+)

The last couple of days we have developed an issue though...... the picture being received via the loft box seems to have some sort of surge. It will be fine for 30 seconds then disappears completely as though the TV isn't tuned in and then returns. This continues constantly

At the same time I have noticed that both of the magic eye's LED lights turn on and off and at the same time the picture turns on and off.

I have tried disconnecting the magic eyes thinking they must be the cause but there was no improvement.

I then noticed the power led on the loft box is also blinking in the same way so I disconnected the psu from the loftbox - oddly though, the LED continued to stay lit and blink every so often - indicating it was still getting power.

I then reconnected the loft box PSU and disconnected the feed from the sky box and the LED on the loft box completely goes out.

Would it be possible that the loftbox PSU has failed and that the loftbox is drawing power from the RF2 which in turn is causing the picture to break up?

Could it be the cheap magic eye I added to the network has caused problems or is that just a conincidence?

Thanks in advance for any help offered as Im not much of an expert and its driving me mad!

James

2. MartinPickering

MartinPickering

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +507
    Yes.

Coincidence, although I suppose a short-circuit or simply the extra few milliAmps of current might have been the last straw for the PSU.

Anyway, your LoftBox PSU has almost certainly failed. Measure its voltage with a multimeter. You have a choice of repair or replacement.

BTW, if you have no aerial, why use a LoftBox when a cheaper 8-way SkyLink compatible amplified splitter would do the same job?

3. JayDecay

JayDecay
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Martin,

thanks for the reply.....

The loftbox actually came pre-installed with the house. Plan was to add an aeriel at some point but thus far we've not really had the need.

Will a replacement PSU be sufficient to fix my issues would you think?

I have a uniross regulated AC/DC adaptor that can be configured to fit most things and can supply 9V or 12V (the loftpox PSU runs at 12V) or should I see if I can source an original replacement Glosbal PSU

Thanks again

James

4. MartinPickering

MartinPickering

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +507
    Don't ask me to guess. Measure the voltage.

Any regulated DC supply of the correct voltage will do, provided that it is capable of supplying sufficient current. Check the rating label (Amps).