Sky HD- release date-poor marketing

Discussion in 'Sky Digital TV Forum' started by neiljones, Mar 16, 2006.

1. neiljones

neiljones

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    There are three issues relative to the release of SKY HD

1. The broadcasting of the process
    2. Selling and marketing the product-they need a customer base
    3. The installation of the equipment.

From my experience in the past their provision of equipment and poor customer service does not bode for an efficient introduction of HD in a short time scale.

To date no one knows a date, no one knows the cost and no one knows whether the product is worthy of such an expensive investment.

Sky are obviously relying upon the small number of people out ther who have invested in very expensive equipment and it is a must for them to have the product at whatever cost.

Are Sky cynical-the market place could resolve the issue if people took a slow approach-who started the rumour that only the first batch of receivers would be DVI friendly ?

NJ:confused:

2. Member 55145

Member 55145
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,483
    no point giving a release date when your product doesnt work... isnt that right SONY ;)

3. Fusewire

Fusewire

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +104
    Why not they did with sky+ and that still doesn't work properly. :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:

Not sure what the OP's point is but I do think Sky have made a hash of the HD launch process most are sick of it already and it has not even been released yet.

4. Attu

Attu

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +42
    How can Sky have made a hash of the HD launch process when they havnt even launched it yet ?
    I think were all jumping the gun a bit, Sky havnt said when they are launching SkyHD, the bigest problem is us on these forums making up and listening to romours which make it a more frustrating wait.
    I cant remember being a problem when Sky Digital or Sky+ came out so fingers crossed we wont have a problem with SkyHD.
    Sky have already said that the main launch wont be untill later on in the year so i wouldnt expect it to be easy to get SkyHD untill that time.

Andy

5. mjcairney

mjcairney

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,079
    Seconded.

Why can't people just wait for Sky's announcements as and when they are ready?

I'm sure they'd love to launch tomorrow (or even today) but will not do so until they are ready.

Patience is a virtue, possess it if you can ........... :lesson:

Cheers,

Martin.

6. White Noise

White Noise

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    We've lost patience because some of us rushed out at Christmas and invested a lot of money in equipment because Sky said they were launching HD in "early 2006".

That doesn't look like it's going to happen. Maybe "mid 2006" if we're lucky now. They can at least issue a public statement letting us know why it hasn't been launched "early 2006".

Meanwhile the next batches of screens will be just around the corner, offering better features for less money and we've yet to have the benefit from the screens we bought unless we've got 360s and/or PCs connected.

7. M-C-P-M

M-C-P-M

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +107
    How have sky become some bloody big they couldn't run a ****** up in a Brewery, we won't get the World Cup in HD now it so bloody unfair! By the time they get their act together most of our Panels will be obsolete!!:mad: :mad: :suicide: :mad: :suicide: :mad: :suicide: :mad:

8. wyrdness

wyrdness

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +15
    Well you've got nobody to blame for that except yourself. No sympathy from me - you should have waited until it's actually launched before spending big money on HD panels, especially as you knew that prices would drop as demand increases.

9. White Noise

White Noise

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Why wait, the launch was supposed to be just around the corner. 436XEs were rare as anything as it was. An announcement by Sky was surely imminent if they were going to launch when they said, which would make them even harder to get hold of.

So HD gets launched early 2006 and I can't get hold of the panel I want to watch it on. I either have to wait for more stock to become available or accept 2nd best. Made perfect sense to me now. Only in hindsight do I know I jumped the gun.

10. HDTV_Newbie

HDTV_Newbie

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I don't understand why $ky are making the HD launch so secret?

If they are having problems with the technology, logistics on the box manufacture, content, ..whatever - why not just say?

Same with pricing, why not just announce it now? As the general public know nought about HD and its obvious $ky will go for an early adopter launch first - why keep everyone in the dark.

What if they told the truth? Are the BBC going to get Freeview HD up any quicker NO Are Telewest going to give their services away NO

The only thing they are doing is **** people like me off. I like many have jumped for HD ready for the World Cup and HD DVD.

I hope someone from $ky reads this forum and thinks about this. What are you gaining from secrecy:confused:

11. helmboy_nige

helmboy_nige

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I don't recall anyone (other than people on this board) saying that Sky HD would be out by now. It was all rumour and conjecture. The only thing Sky have said is that they were aiming for an early 2006 release. Last I heard March was still classed as early 2006.

I find it annoying too. I want Sky HD too. But everyone is complaining about Sky missing launch dates when they haven't yet. If they launch in April then doesn't that mean they've hit their target of early/spring 2006?

If they don't launch till June/July/August etc then fair enough. Maybe everyone should stop listening to every tom dick and harry that goes around saying "the release date is tomorrow/a week on monday/april 1st" and wait for Sky's official announcement. All this conjecture is just making people angry.

Alternatively, if you hate the poor service you feel you are getting take your subscription elsewhere and stop complaining about it ;)

Wow - can't believe I'm defending Sky... never thought I'd do that :rolleyes:

ps no offence intended to anyone...

12. Daddy k

Daddy k

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,351
    great publicity thou!

look at all the threads ;)

13. RobbieTT

RobbieTT

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    I don't agree.

If Sky launches a marketing campaign for HD, supports the drive for HD Ready TVs and announces a launch period of ‘late 2005/early 2006’, but then doesn’t stick to it, then we do have someone to blame and that is Sky.

Sky made a big error when it started to quote launch dates that it could not guarantee to meet.

14. helmboy_nige

helmboy_nige

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Errrrr... probably because you don't announce a release date until you are certain, cause if you miss it your share price will be affected and the press will have a field-day. Just look at the debacle at Sony over the PS3.

It's highly possible that Sky are having problems. Then again they might just be wanting a quiet and phased release. They aren't gonna announce to the world that they've got problems because that would hit their share price and profits.

15. HDTV_Newbie

HDTV_Newbie

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    They can do what they like but their share price is going down anyway they play it!

Sky+ to be doubled to 2million - I think not

10million customers - I think not

Grow profit - I think not

As soon as the BBC accelerate the digital switchover and launch an HD service I can only see $ky's price falling. I have been a sky customer since the early 90s and have just cancelled it - why? Well I got a freeview in my new Freemans Tosh and I can honestly say for a month I never switched to the $ky box. It made me realise I only watch BBC, C4 and ITV. I do like A1 but the picture is so crap now its unwatchable.

When 4ky launched Sky1 had good first run stuff, the movies were newer and cheaper. Thats all gone now. When I look at what new movie is coming on I watched it two years ago on DVD! And the first run stuff is always on E4!

16. shaithis

shaithis

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +31
    and what year will we see a BBC HD service that isn't on Sky? :boring:

17. barongreenback

barongreenback

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +59
    Like it or not, the HD take up in the early days will be by the AV hard core, who will pay out whatever to have the latest and best. Sky know this so why bother making a huge song and dance about the launch. This forum hypes it up beyond belief.

HD will make it way to the masses but I'm guessing that Sky are taking a very long term view of this and their revenue plans are still firmly focussed around Sky+ and SKy Multiroom as key income generators.

18. gavan

gavan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +287
    The 'HD release process' began quite some time back when Sky made first announcements about a forthcoming HD service. Sky have been hyping the launch ever since, yet no-one knows about an official release date yet. Even the final specs of the hardware and programming content aren't confirmed yet. Recent demos at electronics shows haven't been showing live broadcasts either. It all has a whiff of the PS3 about it.

Seems to me that they are waaaay off course in the whole project of rolling out HD, given that they were implying an early 2006 release. The process has been shambolic, to say the least. It doesn't bode well for the actual service launch.

And, I can't wait to see what sort of problems people will be experiencing with their HD boxes given that after years, Sky are still releasing software updates that mess up Sky+ systems.

Gav

19. neilmcl

neilmcl

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +292
    Seems to me the only ones hyping the forthcoming release of Sky HD is speculation from the press and members on forums like these.

20. Stuart Wright

Stuart Wright
    AVForums Founder Staff Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10,883
    The thing is that people launching products/services want us to be impatient for them. It's demand generating demand as people panic and jump in the bandwaggon. Remember the rumours of the petrol shortage recently which made people panic buy until it generated real shortage?
    Look at how the hype around the 360 made more people want to buy it than who would have otherwise.
    The very fact that there has been so much discussion of Sky HD (which is a big deal, lets not forget), has warranted it getting it's own forum.
    So Sky will be loving all this fevered speculation.
    I'm hoping that we'll be able to bring you the details as soon as they are available.

21. mark800

mark800
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,240
    But they have to beware of this impatience turning into annoyance.
    Sky seems to be trying to keep a loyal customer base, using a broader and broader range of services to increase revenue per customer. I did have a positive impression of Sky, which would have made me receptive to their other services. Now, I'll be honest, I'm going off them. It's probably not all their fault, but I perceive that they are stringing us along with very little information. I feel that the less I have to do with Sky, the better.

22. rooster-x

rooster-x

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +28
    Its weird I've always hated SKY and would never have it but the more I read about SKY HD the more I feel sorry about it.

I work for an Engineering company where we have evil marketing product managers and poor lowly engineers like me. The evil boys tell the world how great the products are and that they are ready for launch while us lowly engineer boys have to solve all the technical problems created by the wild claims the evil lads made before we said we could do it!

Spare a tear for the poor guys trying to make it happen and curse the bad lads who told you about somthing before it was ready! :devil:

cya Rooster-X

And NO I have nothing to do with Sky or the AV industry

23. gavan

gavan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +287
    Well, there's all the ads that Sky are running. Plus, coverage like that on 'The Gadget Show' doesn't happen by chance - Sky will have a PR dept lining such things up. They've clearly set the HD ball in motion so they need to get their finger out and come up with some hard info and dates on their offering, lest they end up fuelling demand for a competitor's high-def service.

(Though I do agree that the levels of self-generated hype here are pretty embarassing.)

Gav

24. RobbieTT

RobbieTT

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Gav, that is the only worthwhile quote on this forum today. Sky has truly messed up by promoting HD and then having to watch a minor competitor steal its thunder.

‘Select weapon' – ting – ‘you have selected ‘shotgun''

‘Select target' – ting – ‘you have selected ‘feet''

‘Are you sure' – ting – ‘you have now selected ‘both feet''

25. Howard Pitfield

Howard Pitfield

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    You need to ditch Freeview (crap picture) and get something called Sky HD - lovely pctures with NatGeo HD.....:devil:

H

26. neiljones

neiljones

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    April 6th 2006 New financial year

Sky may be in the hands of their accountants-less profit now less tax now.

It is the best kept secret for a long time-somewhere out there is are lots of SKY HD machines but no one is talking.

Mind you there is a shortage of HD Ready chips in Europe due to the forthcoming pressure on availaibility of equipment generated by the world cup.

Patience is a virtue.

:lesson: :lesson: :lesson:

27. neilmcl

neilmcl

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +292
    Actually BSKYBs financial year runs from 1st July to 30 June. :)

28. CCKing

CCKing
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Well spotted Neil - I always knew we were looking towards July 1st as the out-sider!! I'm off to place my bets on the other thread - heh heh

CCKing :hiya:

29. Chevalier

Chevalier

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    I have never seen the launch information you mention. However, I have read the information on the Sky web site http://www.sky.com/hd/thankyou where, for some time now under "News", they have stated "Sky is on track to launch Sky HD in the first half of 2006". To me this means that they have not yet begun their launch of HD (but clearly they are preparing for launch) and that launch is expected to take place between now and June 2006. Since that has been a consistent message then I, for one, have not lost patience, do not feel mislead and am happy to wait for the launch to begin.

30. AndrewH13

AndrewH13
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7,560
    Putting the HD channels on the sky+ planner is not hyping it up?