Sky HD+ refurb not responding

shell820810

Established Member
Reaction score
Got a Amstrad refurb earlier in the month. It has started playing up. Earlier it wouldnt respond to the remote, despite the red light flashing on the box when i pressed the remote control.

I assumed it was the remote so I tried to turn it over with the buttons on the box and none of these would work. I couldnt even turn it off. I had to turn the power off at the wall, and then the power button would not turn the box on again. It finally turned on after a while. The box has 3 months warranty on it. Not sure if its a one off, or to contact Sky now and ask for a replacement. Any experience?

Yes, I've seen it several times. I've assumed it's just one of many standard software bugs. As you've found, the only thing to do is unplug the receiver, wait 10 seconds or so and plug it back in. It'll then take around 90 seconds to initialize, during which time the power button won't do anything.

There is a 30 day period with the installer - i wonder if its worth contacting them. As well as this, I think both the SD and HD pictures are a lot less clear than the previous Pace box I had (this is an Amstrad), and thirdly, it is not compatible with my video sender. Not a happy bunny with this replacement, but nothing really "wrong" with it to warrant a swap. :mad:

You're in the warranty period - use it.

Under what circumstances am I entitled to a replacement? Some people have mentioned that this kind of thing is just a software problem.

The circumstance is that you have a device that doesn't work properly and it's covered by a warranty.

Its because the refurbs are generally a pile of *****.

I had a working "new" Samsung, it started playing up.

They replaced it with a refurb, it failed, I had another refulb, it failed.

I then argued and managed to get a New box, it works fine.

I had a similar situation with my old Sky+ system

I am convinced that when a box goes back for repair if it turns on and makes a noise they pass it as working fine and ship it back out.

Well I rang the number they gave me. I said I was having bother with the replacement box. The guy didnt even ask what was wrong with it, he said the engineer would be out in the next few days. Does that mean they will just replace it? If so, am I better pushing for a Pace or a Samsung. Do not want another amstrad!

Almost certainly they'll replace it. They're only installers and won't attempt any repair. You could ask for a Samsung or Pace box, but what you get depends on what they've got on the van. Bear in mind also that all new boxes are Amstrads...

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom