Question Sky+HD Reconditioned Box - Any good?

Discussion in 'Sky Digital TV Forum' started by kutekitty, Aug 13, 2017.

Tags:
  1. kutekitty

kutekitty
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Has anyone purchased a reconditioned Sky+HD box direct from Sky?

If so, what’s the quality like? Do they last long?

I was Googling around and found this thread which was off-putting, so I would love to hear any opinions from people who have one.

I'd hate to buy a reconditioned Sky+HD box and then find it dies after a few years!

2. Ghostleader

Ghostleader

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +399
    They don't sell the HD boxes anymore, I phoned them up a couple of months ago to see what kind of a deal I could wangle (Had no intention of actually subing to them) and unless you know the trick about saying you have a Single Mast Head Distribution system that feeds your property that's privately owned by a third party ect then they will insist that you get the "Q" box from them upon signing up.

3. kutekitty

kutekitty
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    They don't sell new HD boxes to new subscribers. But they do sell reconditioned HD boxes to existing subscribers who have been with them for a certain length of time (I think it's 3 years+) and have an issue that prevents them from using Q (In my case, I have an elderly relative who needs to have the Sky+HD remote control app, as he can't see the text on the screen planner)

4. davemurgatroyd2

davemurgatroyd2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,335
    Sky will NOT sell you an HD+ box - they will only supply them as service replacements for existing customers OR in very special circumstances (as above).

As for life expectancy what would you expect from a box that cost £200 new for £30 - get real - a couple of years is good. If you want long life then you have to be prepared to pay for it or take your chance.

5. rs101

rs101

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +170
    That thread was 2 years old. Any refurbished boxes they supply will be the current DRX890/895 boxes which are receiving updates.

Probably better off picking up a cheap one from Gumtree and fitting a new hard drive.

6. kutekitty

kutekitty
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    How easy is that to do? I've seen lots of guides, but they vary according to model number and I am not sure how to work out what model my current one is (as the only problem with my current one is the hard drive). Thanks for any help you can offer.

7. Ghostleader

Ghostleader

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +399
    Pretty straight forward from what I remember but I'm more use to taking out the drives for the use in my other sat receivers.

8. JayCee

JayCee
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,516
    There's a white label on the underside of every Sky box with the model number printed on it.

9. kevkbuk

kevkbuk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,168
    Sky's quality has never been great... some last years and other just don't...

Is this one to replace the problematic box you discussed in another thread? Just push them for a free or discounted replacement. If it fails shortly after push even harder! If you get no joy give 30 days notice to cancel. You'll get what you want or a discount to renew that more than covers the cost.

Remember you cannot receive Sky TV on any other equipment... if you don't have a working box there's no point you subscribing... :D