Sky HD Question.

Discussion in 'Sky Digital TV Forum' started by evolution400, Sep 23, 2005.

1. evolution400

evolution400

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    I have an Sagem Axium 50" DLP no doubt your aware it doesnt support HDCP my question is I understand sky will be equiping component on thier HD boxes does that mean I can get full HD through my component connection or will it display as standard quality sky ?

2. Hellicopter

Hellicopter

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    My understanding is that the first Sky boxes will output HD through the component output for their own programming but not necessarily for other broadcasters.If the BBC join , I would expect them to have the same policy.

I too have a Sagem 50 and will probably buy one of the HDCP / DVI converters that are supposedly available.

Alan

3. evolution400

evolution400

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    Thanks thats what I thought.
    Component it is then :)
    I use my DVI slot for my MCE PC and if there is no need to get one of those HDCP decoding adaptors then I won't as I will then have to buy a DVI switching box aswell but I have 2 spare component points as I use my PC for everything.
    So is the HDCP, box related or transmission related i.e currently you will be able to recive all HD through component and it is displayed as HD can they then decide to only use DVI via transmission or would they have to bring out a new box or update box config ?
    Or do we know too little yet to know for sure.
    Thanks.

4. m1ket

m1ket

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +332
    there is an FAQ on the sky HD site basicallt the first generation of players will work on non HDCP televisions but there is no guarentee this wont change in the future, i cant see the big movie companies allowing all the HD Box Office films to be broadcast copy protection free for too long

5. evolution400

evolution400

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    So from what I understand SKY will not be using HDCP protection at the start because if HD is enabled via component then surely if sky is transmitting the films or sports etc with HDCP then it cant pass through the component connection or will a TV that has HDC decoded the signal on a component port ?

6. kumamoto

kumamoto
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    sky will only use hdcp on digital connectiond dvi/hdmi. Component will not have hdcp protection.
    However sky cannot guarantee that you will receive all contents via components as some channels/programme might block hd output via components.
    In future sky hd boxes components connections will not be available. Thats my understanding

7. NicolasB

NicolasB

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +920
    Sky has never explicitly said that - but, on the other hand, they've never denied it either. They have (as you say) strongly hinted that it is only the first version of the Sky HD box that will output HD via component at all. Future versions may still have component outputs, but they may only produce a signal downscaled to SD. The addition of HD via component was a very late change to the announced design of the box (possibly because Sky didn't want all the people who had bought Sky-branded "hi-def" plasmas TVs to make a lot of bad publicity when they didn't work with the Sky HD service).

8. neilmcl

neilmcl

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +292
    But Sky have said that it's their OWN content that won't be encrypted for the time being and that they couldn't vouch for other 3rd party broadcasts.

9. Starburst

Starburst

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +975

Yep.
    All SKY content will be accessible in HD via component at least on the first generation STB.
    SKY however have no control over third party broadcasters that choose to use SKY's HD platform and the implementation of HD over HDMI and/or component will be the broadcasters choice.

10. evolution400

evolution400

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    Excellent thats what I wanted to here 1st gen box for me then :)