SKY HD query

S

steve998

Found this quote about the SKY STB. Does this really mean that my TV can accept a 'forced' 50HZ 1080i feed?

The STB has an output option to allow you to set the output to Auto / 720p / 1080i, where the latter two force the output to be, for example, 720p - even if the source is 1080i

My TV is HDCP compliant. This would be great news to Hithachi PD5200 owners. Sorry if this has been discussed before.

Surely the Sky box couldn't up or down scale as well as your TV though? Personally i'd rather the Sky HD box fire out the signal in the original res and then let my Pioneer xde436 do the work.

Thoughts?

Sorry, what i meant to say was, my TV will NOT accept a 50 hz 720P signal. Much had been writtern about my particular model of TV and it NON HD compatibility.

IF the STB can be switched to 1080i at 50hz (which my TV can do) then hurrah to all 5200 owners and SKY def all the way!!!

Is this correct?

Yes it is.

You can force all signals to be 1080i, this means the Sky HD stb will be upscaling 576i to 1080i, and interlacing and upscaling 720p to 1080i (all at 50Hz).

StooMonster

THANKS StooMonster!!

:thumbsup:

I may now consider getting SKY Hi-Def now!! (when ever it comes out!)

Hurrah!! my 'obselete' PD5200 TV will display Blu Ray AND SKY etc.....

I spent far too long trawling this forum last year waiting to see if my tv would play hi-def SKY material.

Chuffed now.

I've got myself in a real befuddled and confused state over all this HD business for the PD5200 (which I own badged as a Sky plasma), having like Steve followed various threads.
If this forcing business means we will be able to get HD then it's celebrations all round:smashin: I think I'm going to go ahead and get it and let the Sky technician sort it all out for me when he arrives to install it. Whoever is first to get HD installed with one of these sets, please post on here so we know what to expect!

StooMonster said:
You can force all signals to be 1080i, this means the Sky HD stb will be upscaling 576i to 1080i, and interlacing and upscaling 720p to 1080i (all at 50Hz).
Something tells me that the result of something as cheap as a Sky HD box converting 1080i to 720p or vice versa won't be pretty. I guess 1080i will be fully-bobbed - i.e. treated as if it were 1920x540p/50 rather than 1920x1080i/25. I don't know what they might do with 720p - throw away every alternate frame and then upscale, maybe?

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom