Sky HD Programmes

Discussion in 'Sky Digital TV Forum' started by jacked, Oct 9, 2005.

1. jacked

jacked

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +419
    We`ve all seen Sky`s HD Channel line-up with one entertainment channel, Sky One. But out of all the good US drama series geared up for HD Sky One only shows 24. ER is on Ch4 / E4, CSI is on Ch5 etc.
    Is Sky getting the rights to show HD versions of these or will our demo`s consist of Stargate and Star Trek ?
    Anyone any ideas ? :hiya:

2. neilmcl

neilmcl

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +292
    AFAIK the Sky One HD channel will have the same lineup of shows being shown on the normal Sky One channel with HD shows being broadcast if available. This is why I've said that even with Sky HD not all shows that are broadcast will even be HD, quite a lot will probably be upscaled SD transmissions, but don't expect Sky to tell you this.

3. Sparky101

Sparky101

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +18
    What about Cold Case, Las Vegas, Battlestar Galactica, Rescue Me, Scrubs plus any new shows which Sky may decide to pick up for next year.

4. Jonny1973

Jonny1973

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've seen Nip/Tuck in HD so F/X must do HD in the States.

5. Jonny1973

Jonny1973

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Correct me if i'm wrong but aren't all the major US networks (ABC, NBC, CBS, Fox, HBO, UPN) producing their shows in HD???

Isn't that where most of Sky's bought in programs come from???

6. neilmcl

neilmcl

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +292
    If they're being shown on normal Sky One and have also been recorded in HD then there's no reason not to expect them to be shown in all their HD glory on Sky HD.

7. Starburst

Starburst

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +975

Perhaps a Canadian broadcast.

FX do not currently broadcast in HD but their shows are made in HD to meet future demands.
    The shows SKY1 buys that are showin on FX in the US will be available in HD and you would expect them to be shown on the SKY1 HD channel as and when it arrives.

8. Starburst

Starburst

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +975

Virtually all US primetime programs are now made in HD, once the production facilites are upgraded for HD there is no point not making use of them.
    The use of HD video cameras as oppossed to film has reduced costs dramatically and has been shown to have no real disadvantage over the traditional method of filming and converting to HD.

In this regard SKY has a huge catalogue of HD programming to pick from although you have to remember that looking at the current and upcoming SKY1 schedule there is content that was only made in SD format. That content will either have to be removed from a HD channel or upconverted using very expensive and state of the art hardware (far in advance of the chipsets used in the new breed of DVD players and even standalone scalers). Not ideal but even in the US there isn't enough content for a 24/7 HD mainstream network general entertainment channel although dedicated documentary and film channels are capable of 100% HD.

9. Sparky101

Sparky101

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +18
    That was kinda my point. The original poster was saying that 24 is the only thing Sky One have that could be shown in HD and I was adding various other shows to the list which I know are available to Sky in HD.

10. neilmcl

neilmcl

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +292
    True, but there's still a fair amount of stuff shown on Sky One that doesn't have a HD equivalent which was the point I was originally making.

11. RichMercer

RichMercer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yeah, like The Simpsons which makes up a huge chunk of the schedule. :)

12. Stephen Neal

Stephen Neal

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +764
    True in most, but not all cases. Some HD studio facilities on the West coast are still being used to originate SD programming some of the time. I believe Fox use the same studio for "So you think you can dance" and "American Idol". The former is SD widescreen, the latter is HD, though both are shot on HD cameras.

This is true - though many US series still shoot on film rather than video. However the post-production IS in HD.

Shows like CSI are still shot on 35mm (and transferred at higher than HD resolution AIUI) but are post-produced in the HD video domain.

Yep.

Expensive in domestic terms sure - but not HUGELY expensive in broadcast terms, especially if 50i DEFT style conversions are being sourced, as you aren't having to change frame rate.

Yep - daytime in the US still contains quite a lot of 4:3 SD material - though the move to HD seems to be accelerating, with shows like SNL, Conan, GMA all going or having gone HD this year.

13. ash

ash

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +395
    I really hope E4 go HDTV, then we get smallville in HD!