Sky HD pricing is....

Just had sex with a Sky installer (Gay) who tells me it will cost me nothing cos Im great in bed. hehehe

tpm45 said:
Just had sex with a Sky installer (Gay) who tells me it will cost me nothing cos Im great in bed. hehehe

Did you install it yourself or did she give you a hand?

Thought i heard somewhere that BBC had the world cup contract and SKY will only be showing recorded games albeit in HD

Out there is the majority of television viewers who do not subscribe to Sky.
There are many who do. The majority of the have no interest whatsoever in Sky + and even less in HD.
There is a very small minority who subscribe to this forum who have shown an interest in the new format and even a smaller number who are frustrated at their inability to satisfy their own curiosity as to the availability and cost of the new process.
What they should realise is that no one, other than this small number of people could care less about SKY HD.
Very few people know about the facility of this forum or similiar forums-go into many TV shops and very few salesmen know of its existence.
Be patient-you cannot influence the release date.
Microsoft now cannot release their new Vista product because of security failures-just imagine the impact this will have on them and even worse on the computer industry who will now lose millions becuase of people not buying computers between now and Christmas.

Most sensible people will wait a year before they even consider purchasing HD.

NJ:oops: :oops: :oops:

neiljones said:
Most sensible people will wait a year before they even consider purchasing HD.

NJ:oops: :oops: :oops:

Define "sensible".

I hunted down one of the first CD players, DVD players, Sky Digital boxes and Sky+ boxes. I thought it was very sensible (to me) as I had many hours of enjoyment, taking advantage of these before a mainstream audience even knew they existed.

I think you should be wary judging others by your own values. I agree that there may be limited awareness/demand for HD, but that doesn't stop me wanting it.

I agree most sensible people would wait a year (or possibly longer) before purchasing Sky-HD or in fact most new technology products.

I've purchased many mobile phones&PDA's within a day or two of release that had some interesting new feature, including the ability to crash frequently. I've even owned a new model of car that had repeated faults that the manufacturer denied were design/manufacturing faults.

If any of us were sensible we would ignore this forum and come back when
1) the price of Sky-HD is a fraction of the release price (whatever that is).
2) it is available and can be installed within 2 days of asking
3) All initial teething problems such as possible overheating have been fixed.
It's not likely to happen!:hiya:

Steve

I work for an electrical retailer and can confirm that the original post is correct.
I have no idea why you were asked for your viewing card number though!

I can also confirm that a component connection will be on the initial box that is released and will also have a 160GB hard drive.

Regards,

John

At the risk of being shot down in flames, I was told by the Panasonic shop that the pricing was to be £299 for the box which for that price will be a Thompson, plus £10 extra on the subscription per month...

Bear in mind this is from a Panasonic store, I have no way of validating their info, just passing on what they said. It may well be a load of toffee, but it does seem to tie in with what some other posters have said..

It's not really £299 if there is a £60 installation fee (i.e. £359).
Does everyone pay this, for example, existing Sky+ subscribers?

Sky-HD might not be the same but when I enquired about upgrading from Sky+ V1 to Sky+160 $ky insisted that there was no way that they would sell me a box without a man with a hammer to connect the 2 wires that already existed.

I strongly suspect that the same will follow.
I noticed in the installers guide that they are expecting the installer to understand the capabilities of all types of panel/TV and they are also responsible for either connecting it correctly or instructing on what is needed (ie DVI - HDMI cable). Therefore Sky will insist on installation, at least for a while.

Steve

mark800 said:
It's not really £299 if there is a £60 installation fee (i.e. £359).
Does everyone pay this, for example, existing Sky+ subscribers?

I understand what you mean yes, which is one of the quibbles I have with the HD pricing scheme. There was no further information on what was included with the installation as our HD Demo setup has only had the exisiting cabling re-routed. Although they did do something with the dish of which I cannot work out what.

And yes, everyone has to pay it except if you are a brand new customer. That is, NO previous Sky subscription. Bare in mind that Sky go by Surname and postcode so there will be none of this cancelling and re-subscribing under a partners name.

Does that mean you have a HD box up and running? If so, can you give some early impressions?

steve36 said:
Sky-HD might not be the same but when I enquired about upgrading from Sky+ V1 to Sky+160 $ky insisted that there was no way that they would sell me a box without a man with a hammer to connect the 2 wires that already existed.

I strongly suspect that the same will follow.
I noticed in the installers guide that they are expecting the installer to understand the capabilities of all types of panel/TV and they are also responsible for either connecting it correctly or instructing on what is needed (ie DVI - HDMI cable). Therefore Sky will insist on installation, at least for a while.

Steve

In the documentation we had it was mentioned that Sky+ 160 is to be discontinued. No reason was stated for this though.

As for the installer knowing the capabilities of the television set, I know nothing of that. All I know is that a standard HDMI cable will be supplied and customers will have to buy their own component cable if their set is a Rear-projection for instance.

mark800 said:
Does that mean you have a HD box up and running? If so, can you give some early impressions?

No, we only have the actual cabling for the box at the moment. We haven't been given a date for the HD box for in-store but customers that registered for information regarding Sky HD will start to receive details over this coming weekend onwards.

Given our previous experiance with "feature" rollouts, it shouldn't be too long. Larger "core" stores will receive the boxes first no doubt, but I would imagine that it will be roughly around mid-april we receive ours.

ollie501 said:
At the risk of being shot down in flames, I was told by the Panasonic shop that the pricing was to be £299 for the box which for that price will be a Thompson, plus £10 extra on the subscription per month...

Bear in mind this is from a Panasonic store, I have no way of validating their info, just passing on what they said. It may well be a load of toffee, but it does seem to tie in with what some other posters have said..

No details were given on the brand of the box, but the pricing is correct yes. To be honest, I highly doubt that their information on the brand of the box was from a credible source as I would imagine all retailers would be supplied with the same "launch" information.

It was also stated in the pack that if a customer would like to "advance" book their Sky HD box etc, that we are to take address details and then Sky contact them regarding whether they have a compatible TV set and an installation date.

mark800 said:
Splodge, you are a star with this information.:smashin: :smashin: :smashin:

*chuckle* You're welcome, but remember the clause at the bottom of every documention; "This information is subject to change without notice".

The information was pretty solid, but I wouldn't be suprised if things were to change. I know that I personally will be holding out for a while as I really would love to know what the installation entails. It also means I'll be paying £62 a month, which is a hefty amount.

splodge said:
*chuckle* You're welcome, but remember the clause at the bottom of every documention; "This information is subject to change without notice".

The information was pretty solid, but I wouldn't be suprised if things were to change. I know that I personally will be holding out for a while as I really would love to know what the installation entails. It also means I'll be paying £62 a month, which is a hefty amount.
Am I correct in saying they have to change the LNB for HD? I can understand an installation charge if that's the case...

£299 for the box. £10 extra per month.

Went to the Ideal Home Show today, the guy from the Pioneer stand (great with loads of plasmas showing Euro HD) said Sky (on the stand next to them) planned to make a big announcement on HD this Friday.

So I went to the Sky stand and ask and the Sky bloke, he said £299 for the box plus £10 a month. Gave me his number and said call him Friday to order.

Thats what happened - so take it as you like :)

Nick

BTW the show was *****, except for the Pioneer stand there was hardly any gadgetry at all :(

splodge said:
And yes, everyone has to pay it except if you are a brand new customer. That is, NO previous Sky subscription. Bare in mind that Sky go by Surname and postcode so there will be none of this cancelling and re-subscribing under a partners name.
That sounds about right... new customers get reeled in with free installations, whereas loyal customers who have paid them good money for years, get stung for yet another f:censored:g installation fee.....

Price and subs seem right, and concur with other threads. Let's hope we can order on Friday.....maybe

ollie501 said:
Am I correct in saying they have to change the LNB for HD? I can understand an installation charge if that's the case...

I'm not sure on the specifics. As I said above, the document never went into detail about what the installation entails. A roumer I have heard though is that the Sky dish will be either upgradable OR upgraded in this installation to be capable of running 4 Sky+ boxes from it though.

Take that with a grain of salt though as it was not included in the document!

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom