SKY HD pricing confusion

G

Gingernick

sorry if this has been asked before

I am an existing bog standard sky subscriber

I dont have movies or sports just the 6 mixes for 21 quid a month

I was thinking about changing to sky+ but not getting multi room so adding 10 quid a month to my sub making it 31 quid a month

but I am about to buy a new LCD telly and see SKY HD is half price from currys

but am unsure about the extra 10 quid for HD..is this on top of the 10 pound a month for sky+?

or is sky + now part of the SKY HD package?

would I be paying 31 quid for sky HD (including the free sky+) or would I also be charged an additional 10 quid on top for having both services making it 41 quid a month?

thanks..very confused....GN

scottyf

sky+ is included in the hd sub

so it would be £31

looking at the hd channels imo it doesnt look like value for money if you havent got movies or sport in your package

70s_kid

Novice Member
sky+ is included in the hd sub

so it would be £31

looking at the hd channels imo it doesnt look like value for money if you havent got movies or sport in your package

..........but, if you were thinking paying £10 per month for sky+ only, then £10 per month for sky+ AND sky HD is a bargain!

MSW

Distinguished Member
The £10 HD Sub incldudes Sky+ functionality, so yes you would it would cost you £31 a month plus, whatever it costs you for the HD Box and installation.

Is it worth it, well thats another question, which in simple terms comes down to the difference between a Sky+ v HD Box. IMO, if the HD Box and the cost of installation is more than £120 then the Sky+ and the cost of installation then I would not bother and, use the saved £120 to pay Sky+ subs for one year.

The reason for the above is because you don't have movies or sport. although is say 40% of your viewing is History or Discovery then it would be worth it, otherwise the only HD channel you would probably watch would be the BBC HD one

The above IMO

70s_kid

Novice Member
How much is a sky+ box these days? £99 plus £60 installation?

You're gonna get sky HD for £50 more. It's no contest.

P.S Gingernick, if I were you I'd buy your telly off t'internet and save yourself a pile of cash. Go into Currys and ask them for the half price sky HD deal without buying a telly from them. (I did this today, sorted - I may have dropped lucky but the sales bloke didn't have an issue with it).

scottyf

..........but, if you were thinking paying £10 per month for sky+ only, then £10 per month for sky+ AND sky HD is a bargain!

i suppose if you look at it like that then yes it is.
it saves paying £10 for nothing for the sky+

it just depends how much extra the hd box is compared to the sky+ box

MSW

Distinguished Member

P.S Gingernick, if I were you I'd buy your telly off t'internet and save yourself a pile of cash. Go into Currys and ask them for the half price sky HD deal without buying a telly from them. (I did this today, sorted - I may have dropped lucky but the sales bloke didn't have an issue with it).

Could be wrong but, I think, my local Currys, is doing Free Sky Plus Box or Half Price HD Box. If this is correct the saving is £150, or, put it another way 15 months free Sky plus subs.

Given the OP does not have Movies / Sport, surely this is the better option. Is it really worth £150 for the other HD Channels?

solidamber

suscribe to the movie chanel mix this is £6 more than the £10 + fee, then sky+ is free, even if you watch two movies a month it will be worth it IMO

G

Gingernick

I was looking at the new toshiba c3030 its only about 560 quid from currys online

and yes a lot of my viewing is history/nat geographic (at least when my missus is out!)

sky one is heavily used as well

rang currys online and they said I would have to get the tv from the shop to get the half price deal..but thats daft as the tv is 699 in the shop.....but are the shops not sticking to this...if I took my currys recipt/delivery note they might go for the half price offer?

Jay53

Things to compare

Via currys deal
Sky+ box is free vs SkyHD box is £149
Both will have £60 installation without multiroom being taken out
Both will incur an additional £10pm sub
So cost difference is £149 for the 1st year.

So comes down to

With SkyHD box, is being able to watch All the HD channels (except Movies and sports), having a larger Recording capacity (160Gb vs 80Gb), and being able to hook up via HDMI and/or component worth £149 more to you?

Only you can decide that :)

N

neilpost

Things to compare

Via currys deal
Sky+ box is free vs SkyHD box is £149
Both will have £60 installation without multiroom being taken out
Both will incur an additional £10pm sub
So cost difference is £149 for the 1st year.

So comes down to

With SkyHD box, is being able to watch All the HD channels (except Movies and sports), having a larger Recording capacity (160Gb vs 80Gb), and being able to hook up via HDMI and/or component worth £149 more to you?

Only you can decide that :)

Depends on your subscription, if you have Movies or Sports the Sky + is free, whereas on Sky HD the Sky+ is free but only *WITH* the extra for HD which is 10 further pounds.

Sky should be equitable and offer HD sub at 10 pounds if no premium channels, 5 pounds if you have sports or movis and free if you have both.

cerebros

I'd agree there - I dropped the premium channels last year as there was never anything on Sports I wanted to watch and it took ages for any films to come on I was interested in, but I kept the Sky+ sub as I value the series link and ability to record more than 1 channel at a time and I was still saving about £8 a month over what my subs would have been.
d there.

Getting Sky HD and Sky+ functionality for the same monthly price definitely looks good to me as even though there aren't that many HD channels, it's still better value than the Sky+ functions on their own. All I'd need is to do get a second cable wired up at the new place (as there's already a dish & single cable in place at the moment) and get a Sky HD box...

mseabroo

Nah, just tell sky your going to cancel and you should be offered a new Sky+ with no install fee for £49 bargain

T

thedealer

That's true, ring Sky to cancel (pretend) and when you are put through to cancellations dept mention that you would stay if you could get a good deal on Sky+ (£49 inc installation).

I know many people who have bagged this.

The latest video from AVForums

Movies Podcast: Star Trek in 4K. Is the new boxset worth it?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom