SKY HD(PLUS) with HDD/DVD Recorder combo help please?

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by Khearts, Sep 20, 2007.

1. Khearts

Khearts

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Hi,

Im looking to buy SKY HD soon for the HD reasons, which comes with a harddrive to record and Im also looking to buy a HDD DVD recorder. Just have a few questions, hope I can get some help.

1. Im looking for a good quality hdd/dvd recorder, something that records from the TV fast, but because Ill be using HDMI for Sky HD and would like to record from Sky or its Harddrive, what hdd/dvd recorder would you recommend?
    I would like something with a good timer and simple.

2. Whats the main differences between recording with Sky HD and a HDD/DVD recorder? How many programs can you set to timer record?

3. Ive heard you can record 1 thing and watch something else with Sky HD, so would I be able to record something with the HDD recorder, record something else with Sky HD and watch something else?

I was going to buy this Sony RDR-GX120.
    But read bad reviews like this:

" Disgusting waste of money, 21 Aug 2007
    By Bert (England) - See all my reviews
    For starters we nearly didn't get this dvd recorder because the 3rd party company that amazon jipped us into buying from didn't leave a second 'failed delivery' slip so they nearly got away with our money and no product. As for the recorder? Well its aweful. I own a panasonic 5.1 surround sound with dvd recorder. Its awesome, quick recording and so many brilliant functions. My parents used it and decided to get one instead of sky plus. I looked on here and recommended this one as it had great reviews and it sony. You'd think that would be enough? Turns out this recorder is one of the worst i've ever come across. When you turn it on it takes forever to load the disks. The remote is aweful and navigating the menus becomes a drawn out affair. It takes about 2 mins to write to disk if you record for more than half an hour and decided it doesn't like recording on the timer and sometimes skips record times. It doesn't even support JPEGS!!! It doesn't support all disks so i really can't see why you would pay £119.99 for it. Its quite horrific so just stay clear."

and

" Disaster, 24 Feb 2007
    By Simon Marshland (UK) - See all my reviews
    (REAL NAME)
    This is the worst piece of equipment I have ever bought. Things started to go wrong after a week, correct menus failed to appear and when the did often failed to work, the recorder also had a terrible effect on television reception causing grainy pictures. The failures in this recorder take time to appear initially then become ever more apparent. My advice, avoid at all costs."

Anyway, hope I didnt say anything silly and thank you for your help.

2. MuksC

MuksC

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +133
    Hello.

1. Panasonic EX77 or EX87, or Sony 870 or 970 (the EX77 and 870 have 160GB hdd, the EX87 and 970 have 250GB). Panasonic doesn't play DivX stuff, but Sony doesn't record to RAM discs. both copy to + and - discs though.

2. you can set up to 32 timer programmes with the Panasonic, and they'll all record as long as none overlap. Sky+ probably works the same way but i can't give you any figures. it's very easy to record from the in-built freeview with the Panasonic, you just choose the prog from an electronic programme guide (similar to choosing the progs when you press the TV Guide button on Sky remote).

3. if you get a dvd recorder with hdd and built in freeview, you can record from freeview and watch something you previously recorded, or a dvd, or Sky. if only using the Sky+ box, you can record from 2 channels but you must be watching the 2nd prog you started to record or something you already recorded.

so if you had Sky+ HD and a dvd recorder with hdd and freeview built-in, you could: record 2 channels off Sky, record something with the freeview in the recorder, and watch something you already recorded in your Sky+ box, or something you already recorded in your recorder's hdd, or watch a dvd, all at the same time.

a dvd recorder with its own hdd is an advantage because you can edit progs before burning them to disc (remove the start and end adverts, remove the adverts during the prog etc.).

you could copy something from the Sky+ box's hdd to the dvd recorder's hdd, then edit it also, then burn it to disc (a show off Discovery channel for example), because you can't edit progs on the Sky+ box itself.

hope this helps a little.

3. Khearts

Khearts

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Thanks, that helps alot