Sky HD Picture Quality got worse lately??

Discussion in 'Sky Digital TV Forum' started by Avmad2013, Aug 9, 2013.

1. Avmad2013

Avmad2013
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Hi I have a Sky 2TB box and for the past week I have noticed that the picture quality of the HD channels seem to be less quality, like Eastenders on BBC One HD the picture looks like it is ghosting and blurring/gradation a bit and looks like there is less bitrate on the stream.

I am a picture freak and want the best picture possible so I would notice little things like this.
    I only watch HD channels and the problem is on a lot of the channels, it is mainly noticeable on darker bits of the picture. Looks like a ripple effect.

I never had any complaints about the picture until now.

I am on R007.061.49.00P firmware.

Last edited: Aug 10, 2013
  2. thedude

thedude
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,057
    Sounds like your tv has had it

3. Avmad2013

Avmad2013
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    It's a Samsung 46" 3D LED HDTV C8000 model brought in 2010. The problem is only on Sky. My PS3/Xbox and PC are good as ever with no problems.

I brought a Merlin Tarantula MK6 custom power cable in May for my TV but ever since I installed it my TV makes random click sounds.

Last edited: Aug 10, 2013
  4. Philip4242

Philip4242
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +167
    From the Merlin website :-

'Our Mains cables actually combat background noise resulting in a dramatic reduction in high-frequency distortion and listener-fatigue, most notably at higher sound pressure levels. The improvements across the whole audio spectrum can be exemplified by an enhancement in clarity and projection of the mid-band, giving greater agility in associated bass performance. With video images the picture becomes sharper and clearer with a far more vivid depth to colours yet displaying less saturation and exhibiting sharper edge definition and reduces noise allowing the hole image to become far more 3 dimensional and natural. It is ideal to use Merlin Mains Cables in conjunction Merlin Mains Distribution Blocks to ensure perfect property synergy for the whole signal path and to ensure a perfect balance and individual cable performance is maximised.'

After reading this babble and nonsensical hype, I find it unbelievable that manufacturers/distributors of premium-priced cables (£40 to £1400 for a mains cable :eek:) are not compelled by law to PROVE (by both analytical and double-blind listening/viewing tests) that their product actually makes a measurable and accurately discernable difference over the cable supplied by the original equipment's manufacturer !

Otherwise, they are simply profiteering from the innocent ignorance of many buyers who tend to be easily swayed by pseudo-science; and equate a higher price with a perceived 'better quality'.

However, in this case, it seems like the hoped-for upgrade has led to a problem actually being introduced ! - Surely that's not right for a PREMIUM product ?! ;)

5. simon194

simon194

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +218
    Maybe they should take note of the ASA ruling against Russ Andrews back in 2011 when advertising such products, although it doesn't help that once respectable publications such a What Hifi? recommend them.

6. MartinPickering

MartinPickering

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +507
    Where did you bring it from and when was it purchased?

I'm really tempted but I'm saying nuffin. ;)

7. Avmad2013

Avmad2013
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I brought it from Comet in May 2010 for £2500

8. Tight Git

Tight Git

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted: