• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Sky HD picture after HDD upgrade

Jon1234

Established Member
It maybe totally in my head but since upgrading the HDD to a 1tb Western Digital one yesterday the HD pq just seems a little less sharp and detailed. I maybe just imagining it but in terms of opening up the box and using a laptop and copy + to change the drive is there anything that could have caused this?

tele1962

Distinguished Member
It maybe totally in my head but since upgrading the HDD to a 1tb Western Digital one yesterday the HD pq just seems a little less sharp and detailed. I maybe just imagining it but in terms of opening up the box and using a laptop and copy + to change the drive is there anything that could have caused this?

Have you done a planner rebuild,software download etc.:)

PaddyS

Established Member
I did a planner rebuild. Mainly as the copy + guide said to do so. Could this have done something? To be fair Im not that sure what a planer rebuild actually does.

It dosn't do any harm, i doubt that is the cause. I believe it just sorts any corrupt data files etc

Jon1234

Established Member
Does changing the HDD affect the software in some way then? Im presuming as all the files are copied over with copy + that any software will be the same ? :confused:

Neville Street

Established Member
Have you checked the obvious, e.g. watching over scart not hdmi? I have sat in front of 10 minutes of something on an HD channel and thought "not good enough", and then checked and the kids had left it on scart instead of hdmi!

Jon1234

Established Member
Have you checked the obvious, e.g. watching over scart not hdmi? I have sat in front of 10 minutes of something on an HD channel and thought "not good enough", and then checked and the kids had left it on scart instead of hdmi!

Its a good call but I've no scart inputs only HDMI. Settings also alll seem the same.

Martin J.

Established Member
Changing from one drive to another can't directly impact picture quality any more than copying a Barbara Cartland book from one computer to another would turn it into Dickens. It's just digital data.

I'd look at other factors such as those mentioned by Neville. Do you still have the box set to "Auto" or 1080i? If this is a Thomson box, it's conceivable that the power supply is struggling and other areas of performance being impacted as a result (eg. more noise, lower output voltages).

Or, you could be imagining it. ;)

ilise

Established Member
Changing from one drive to another can't directly impact picture quality any more than copying a Barbara Cartland book from one computer to another would turn it into Dickens. It's just digital data.

I'd look at other factors such as those mentioned by Neville. Do you still have the box set to "Auto" or 1080i? If this is a Thomson box, it's conceivable that the power supply is struggling and other areas of performance being impacted as a result (eg. more noise, lower output voltages).

Or, you could be imagining it. ;)

I will agree with the latter comment.
If the picture is really deteriorating then it may be because of the new bigger disk which adds additional stress to a sick power source unit. If the box is a Thomson and its age is more than two years old I would suspect a faulty psu for starters.
Nick

The latest video from AVForums

Is 8K TV dead? Philips OLED+907, Pioneer LX505 AVR plus B&W 700 S3 Reviews & Visit + AV/HiFi News
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom