SKY HD or Freesat/ Humax pvr?

Discussion in 'Sky Digital TV Forum' started by bulldoze, Jun 10, 2009.

1. bulldoze

bulldoze

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    Hi guys

Just moved to new area and unable to get freeview.

So the choice is Sky HD or Freesat and PVR - what would you choose in my situation?

How much is a Freesat install? I know the Humax PVR is about £299 this seems to be a big outlay in one go whereas the Sky HD would be relatively free initially and then £27 pound a month.

Cheers

2. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,159
    The hdr's available from about £250.00 now. Try Richer Sounds.

3. swedish cook

swedish cook

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +81
    Months and years pass quickly, what content do you want/need ? If you really want football you only have one choice. If you really want movies .... go to love film !

4. alan47

alan47
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    At £27 a month you will soon be up to the £299. Ive just bought the Humax PVR from Argos and bought the additional 2yr insurance. (about £35) but probably worth it. I got it for much the same reason as you,ie freeview went on the blink after they changed the channel numbers and got fed up with the constant dropping of signal from interference.

5. davemurgatroyd2

davemurgatroyd2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,335
    Don't forget the roughly £100 installation cost if you don't already have a dish for the freesat PVR so total £350 to £400 for one HD channel plus one very part time HD channel.

£49 for a Sky HD box with free installation plus £26.50 per month (minimum 12 month contract) for at present 18 HD channels plus the same ones as freesat. So what do you want to watch?

6. bulldoze

bulldoze

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    Hmmm trouble is the wife wont pay for the football or movies so am I right in thinking they would roughly have the same content?

Also Sky require a phone line and our phone line is in another room.

which is the better box though? this would probably swing it for me to be honest.

7. GasDad

GasDad
    Remembered (1964-2012)

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +758
    No - sky with the basic sub (£27 a month) has 18 HD channels - freesat has part time BBC HD and very part time ITV HD.

Sky also has some key channels not available on Freesat - Dave, Five US etc

Do what everyone else does and run and extension cable into the room for the engineer to connect to - put it away when he's gone.

The humax is the better box.

8. swedish cook

swedish cook

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +81
    If no footie or movies get the Humax. "Better box" - both excellent just depends on your attitude to paying ££££ every month without end and what content you want/need/can afford.

9. alan47

alan47
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    And when the contract runs out you will still have to pay Mr Murdoch £10 a month for ever and ever just for the priviledge of using the record facility:thumbsdow

10. bulldoze

bulldoze

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    pretty much decided on Sky HD now simply because it has more hd channels. and the wife appears more keen on something she has heard of!

Is freesat likely to get more hd channels in the future? and when?

11. Starburst

Starburst

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +975

Check the t&c's on your cancellation options, refunds without hassle within a certain period of time so if you don't take to it straight away at least you have an option.

Not a great time for any advert driven broadcaster to be offering more channels since most can't make money from those they have now:)
    The Freeview HD lineup has been green lit (BBC, ITV, CH4 and Five) and seriously people got paid to make that decision!
    That said there are still issues on satellite (rights issues linked to limited 2D capacity and simple costs involved) which may means CH4HD remains encrypted and FiveHD never appears or goes encrypted as well be that just in the short term.

As has been pointed out the SKY+HD requires some ongoing payment to use the PVR features, not an issue if you subscribe to a channel package (SKY+ service included) but if you cancel then the SKY+HD turns into a single tuner HD box but it may have resale value and by then other options may be cheaper.

12. MEONAVF

MEONAVF
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm looking at going the other way. After years with Sky+ and now fed up of paying £46 for full package while new customers getting better deal.

Looking at changing to PVR and additional DVD recorder (to edit home movies and storing hd format on dvd). Am thinking about the Humax and Panasonic.

Can someone please tell me what Installation I would need, since I already have a Sky dish. Or do I have to start from scratch?

Thanks.

13. dwhite

dwhite

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,805
    If your going to replace your sky+ box, you won't need any installation, just plug your freesat box in to the cables that sky was using and away you go.

14. MEONAVF

MEONAVF
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for quick reply :thumbsup:

Being a bit of a beginner in this area, iIs it as simple as unplugging the sky+ box and plugging existing cables into the Humax box? I'm assuming this is done at ground level.

I guess the sky+ box won't offer me anything the Humax doesn't, so can't see any reason for keeping it.

Only other thing I'm interested in is backing up some programmes onto dvd, so is it a question of another scart cable between humax and dvd recorder?

15. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,159
    Yes it's just a case of unscrewing the two F connectors from the Sky box and connecting them to the Freesat-hdr. Because it's a HD box though you need to connect the hdr to a HD ready TV with a hdmi connection. The best (all digital) way to archive to dvd is by transferring SD recording files to a usb drive and using the digital files to create a dvd on a computer. This method avoids multiple digital - analogue - digital conversions.

16. MEONAVF

MEONAVF
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I think I understand. :) The Freesat-hdr will be connected to my panasonic HD ready tv using my hdmi cable.:thumbsup:

Thanks for explaining it to me.

At the moment when I copy home HD movies onto dvd (via my pc) I have to change my HD to SD. Windows Movie Maker doesn't support avchd, even a 15 min recording takes for ever. My friends do it more easily on their mac. :) I thought by going straight to DVD recorder would be quicker and easier than using PC especially if it's a long recording. But I'm changing topic so will stop there.

17. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,159
    avchd is a format to allow High Definition material to be burnt to a normal dvd blank. You can only play these discs on a computer or blu-ray player. SD material is transmitted in mpeg2 format which is essentially identical to that used on a normal DVD. This data can be copied directly to a computer with only a small very fast conversion process. You can't record anything but SD to a normal dvd recorder and if you record downscaled HD from a freesat scart you only get very poor quality cvbs, which looks worse than a recording using RGB for the same programme in SD

18. malwrx

malwrx

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    I apologise in advance, but it is probably worth clarifying.

This is not a problem with the Sky HD box which can output HD channels via the Sky TV scart output in RGB (albeit at much improved SD quality). The better DVD hard disk recorders (mine's a Panasonic) can record/playback via RGB scart and playback via HDMI and the picture is much much better than that recorded from the same channel in SD via the same configuration.

So although not technically HD it is recorded/played back at vastly better than SD quality.

One other comment/correction on previous post from Gasdad on 11.6.09:

Quote: No - sky with the basic sub (£27 a month) has 18 HD channels - freesat has part time BBC HD and very part time ITV HD.

Sky also has some key channels not available on Freesat - Dave, Five US etc. End Quote.

This is not quite the case. The basic £27.00 HD (now £26.50) includes only one out of six selection pack, plus the Freesat channels and would only include the Dave channel if that is in the pack you have chosen. I.E. if you chose the Knowledge pack you would not get the Dave channel. To get all six groups of channels you need to pay £31.50 was £32.00.

The Dave channel is actually now available free on the Freeview (aerial) and probably will be available on Freesat soon, if not already! I do not have Freesat so I have not checked, although I may be tempted in future as I do not want to continue paying Sky subs.

19. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,159
    That's a major setback with freesat over sky boxes. On a freesat box SD RGB output from scart is crippled by the broadcaster so a foxsat-hdr will produce very inferior dvd copies of hd programming compared to a sky box when recording direct to a normal dvd recorder

20. GasDad

GasDad
    Remembered (1964-2012)

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +758
    But you don't need to spend £32.

£27 is the minimum payment - and its the comparison with Freesat that's the question.

The variety pack gives Dave, Living etc. Remember, you get all the 18HD channels regardless of your pack. (so you will get the Discovery HD without the knowledge pack).

It probably won't be available on Freesat soon.

21. malwrx

malwrx

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    The variety pack gives Dave, Living etc. Remember, you get all the 18HD channels regardless of your pack. (so you will get the Discovery HD without the knowledge pack).
    End quote

True, but for example there are fourteen channels in the Knowledge pack without the +1's, but there are only six of those channels available as HD channels and these often have different programmes than the same SD channel at the same time.

I would have thought that Dave would be available on Freesat at some time, as I am sure they were marketing Freesat as all the Freeview channels and more with 200 channels planned by the end of the year, but I think that was supposed to have been last year!

Obviously there is plenty of unused capacity on the Freesat platform. I don't think that either the BBc or ITV has put enough effort into the Freesat platform yet. For example over one year on there are only six to seven hours of BBC HD a day and only a few programs - occasional football or film on ITV HD! Not much of a big launch, I think they have missed the opportunity.

22. Daveyboyblack

Daveyboyblack
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I was in the same situation recently as my freeview reception is pretty poor, and have just ordered my SkyHD box. All in, including cashback and Introduce a friend, I think i've got it down to around £210 for the 12 months, but that includes the dish and installation.

If I find i'm not watching the subscription channels enough then i'll swap to freesat in 12 months time. Hopefully by then I should be able to get a FoxsatHDR or similar for a bit cheaper than the £250 it is currently, but at least i'll have the dish, and know that it's working properly.

If you go straight out and get freesat and install a dish yourself then you're on your own if you have any issues, so for me the fact that sky is (somewhat) responsible to ensure the dish etc are working then that's a bit of backup for the first year.

23. Starburst

Starburst

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +975

Dave is in subscription packages on both satellite and cable, the owners (UKTV a joint venture between BBCW and VM) use advertising on DTT, Dsat and Cable and subscription revenues from Dsat and Cable to fund the channel.
    Until such time that BBCW/VM (or whoever has control if VM sells their stake) decide that they can cover costs and make a profit from advertising alone it will always be a PAY channel and therefore not on Freesat.

The Freesat EPG has plenty of space but there is limited capacity on satellite (2D especially as that is needed for rights issues) and most of the future free channels which turn up on the EPG are already have been broadcasting on satellite for years and watched for free with a SKY box or generic sat box.
    Freesat is not all about HD, the platform is meant simply to bring free digital TV to the quarter of the country without Freeview, HD is the icing on the cake and put simply there is little money to be made in free HD channels.

Freesat is not about making money so given the BBC can not push Freesat at the expense of the other platforms and ITV can't make money by getting people to watch their HD instead of their SD channel it's amazing it ever got off the ground in the first place.

A year on...
    SKY+HD and V+ users have had BBCHD for 3 years, nothing much has changed since day1:rotfl:

24. Starburst

Starburst

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +975

You may even be able to reduce the SD channel package sooner to reduce the payment if you find you are not watching everything you pay for.