SKY HD or BT Vision ? ?

Discussion in 'Sky Digital TV Forum' started by Potatoe Farmer, Feb 12, 2009.

1. Potatoe Farmer

Potatoe Farmer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +73
    help!
    about to go for SKY HD with internet and land line all tv except sport for 56 a month plus £50 (HD BOX) £30 HD box install, and £50 for internet one off payment for equiptment there after FREE. No BT bill at all.
    BT have offered everything the same for £35 a month total.
    which sound good but i have no experiance of BT Vision, what is it like, does it compare to sky. whats the deal with HD.
    what should i do? il have to cancel SKY tomoro if im going to go with BT.
    please help......:le

Last edited: Feb 12, 2009
  2. Geofbob

Geofbob

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +304
    It can't be the same, as BT vision is terrestrial Freeview, and therefore has a different range of programmes from Sky, and NO HD TV (just HD movies downloaded on Internet).

Last edited: Feb 12, 2009
  3. shop-bright

shop-bright
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I use to have bt broadband and it was really slow, switch to sky hd + broadband and phone and somehow my broadband speed doubled overnight with sky. I was phoning bt non stop but they said nothing wrong, so left them.

My mate has the vision thing, but says its really slow due to his broadband speed, he is however quite a distance from the exchange.

So far I'm very happy with the service from sky hd, the football looks amazing. The only thing that is annoying to get the freesat channels you need a freesat card, not that worried but once in a blue moon they have a football game and I can't get it on sky.

Hope that helps.

4. shop-bright

shop-bright
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    So who did you go for sky or bt?

5. Potatoe Farmer

Potatoe Farmer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +73
    Thanks for your help SHOP-BRIGHT! my ancient laptop died last week, so my response has been slow! finnaly got me a new laptop.
    i took on board all ur advice and went for SKY HD!!
    :devil:

6. choddo2006

choddo2006

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +542
    Wise.

BT tried to talk me into the vision box. I asked how much HD stuff there was and she told me the same as Sky HD. I informed her that couldn't be right. I asked how much of a wait/delay there was if I wanted to watch something off the on-demand service and she said, "it's all on the box so it's instant". I tried to explain how I didn't think all the thousands of movies would fit on one box but she insisted. We agreed to leave it there.

But I have heard the on-demand stuff is quite good. Not going to make up for the lack of Sky One and sports broadcast HD though imho, and I'm not paying for both.

Last edited: Feb 18, 2009
  7. CJROSS

CJROSS

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +343
    As a BTVision and a Sky HD user here are the main difference/similarities :

HDMI 1080i upscaled output for SD material both look very good.
    No HD content on Freeview even download wise I have not seen any.
    No 5.1 Audio on BTVision that I know of. Stereo PCM. Sky HD audio clearly superior.

BTVision is a real pain to start up, you need to make sure your hub is on, even starting from a standby point if your hub has been switched off it take a few minutes to fireup, I can put up with this as I put it on 5 minutes in advance but when it was my main viewing package it drove me to distraction. Sky HD no problem since installation instantly fire up. I like putting my Hifi/AV kit off totally rather in standby, this is a major interface problem with BTVision, if it was left on all the time it would be fine, but then you’d need to leave your homehub on all the ime too.

EPG BTVisions is better. For a free package BTVision is excellent, good vision via 1080i, series record and OD service (I have had many problems with this service though !!) but there are opertainla issues from standby that are a real problem.

I only keep the BTVision for my Setanta viewing card being in another room, means I can watch football on my own, Sky for missus in another room.

8. dmiller

dmiller

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    likewise, i've got both and you've definietly maqde the right choice getting Sky HD.

I do hope BT Vision increase their HD content as we all know how much a serious competitor to sky is needed!

9. Potatoe Farmer

Potatoe Farmer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +73
    good advice all round. but ive just been told SKY HD will take 7 -12 weeks, im in SE London (W.T.F)!