Sky+HD : Optimum HD Resolution Output Settings

Tarbat

Prominent Member
Reaction score
Now that installations of Sky+HD are about to get started, it's worth having a single thread where we can post the optimum HD Resolution Output setting on our Sky+HD box for individual TVs, using a format that is easy for others to search.

TV : Samsung SP46L6HX
Type & Resolution : DLP 1280x720
Connection : HDMI
Resolution set by Sky Installer : 1080i
Optimum Setting : Auto
Comments : This is just a test. Use comments to enter details such as deinterlacing problems, scaling errors, HDCP errors, switching time, etc.

This single thread will hopefully avoid the dozens of threads that will otherwise appear, and should perhaps be made a sticky so that as new users get their Sky+HD box they can see if someone has already posted optimum settings for their TV.

What about aslo including in this forum optimum sound settings ie

TV Sound or AV Amp Sound Output
Dolby Digital/Prologic/5.1/ etc
Audio Delay settings (along with make & model of display )
Hook up for sound (fibre optic, phono etc)

Tbird1

TBird1 said:
What about aslo including in this forum optimum sound settings
Personally I'd rather we had a separate thread for sound settings, since that will depend a lot more on what home cinema kit people have, and so have a lot more variables.

The only problem I have with this is that "optimum" settings don't really exist. I agree it can be sometimes useful particularly if seen as a starting point for configuration, however Its totally subjective and what might be perfect for one may be completely wrong for another. All you'll end up getting is numerous posts on the same models with members disagreeing as to which is the best setup.

what about the peole with dvi inputs, i mean there wont b any sound if we only got dvi.
so the amp sounds and all that do need to b included really imho

neilmcl said:
The only problem I have with this is that "optimum" settings don't really exist. I agree it can be sometimes useful particularly if seen as a starting point for configuration, however Its totally subjective and what might be perfect for one may be completely wrong for another. All you'll end up getting is numerous posts on the same models with members disagreeing as to which is the best setup.

I 100% agree with this - at last some sensible advice :eek:

:D

neilmcl said:
Agreed, it will always be subjective, but a useful starting point for someone just getting their Sky+HD box. I was just hoping that we could somehow limit all these discussions to one thread rather than the dozens of threads that are bound to start appearing on Monday.

steve69 said:
what about the peole with dvi inputs, i mean there wont b any sound if we only got dvi.
so the amp sounds and all that do need to b included really imho
I disagree. We're talking about picture here.

The sounds stuff is pretty much "use optical". What else is there to adjust? A "sound delay setting" might be useful though.

cjgpers said:
Now that installations of Sky+HD are about to get started, it's worth having a single thread where we can post the optimum HD Resolution Output setting on our Sky+HD box for individual TVs, using a format that is easy for others to search.

Comments : This is just a test. Use comments to enter details such as deinterlacing problems, scaling errors, HDCP errors, switching time, etc.

This single thread will hopefully avoid the dozens of threads that will otherwise appear, and should perhaps be made a sticky so that as new users get their Sky+HD box they can see if someone has already posted optimum settings for their TV.

I think this is a good idea which should be made a sticky...will post my settings on Monday night :clap:

sorry choddo i was just replying to tbird thats all.

TV : Toshiba 37WLR58
Type & Resolution : 1366x768
Comments : Not really had long enough to decide what looks best.

My first questions are:-

Q. What picture setting are you using and why? (720p, 1080i, Auto)
Q. What have you got contrast set to in the picture settings? I can't decide between medium and high. Anyone know the pros/cons?

Resolution set by Sky Installer : AUTO
Optimum Setting : 1080i
Comments :
SD channels definately look better with 1080i, and there's no real difference that I can see between 720p and 1080i. On AUTO, got about 2 seconds of sound pops and bangs when changing between SD and HD channels.

Suggests that the scaler/deinterlacer in the Sky+HD box does a better job of scaling SD material than my TV.

TV: JVC LT-37DS6BJ
Type & Resolution: LCD 1366x768
Connection: HDMI
Resolution set by Sky installer: AUTO
Optimum Setting: 1080i
Comments:
1080i looks significantly better than 720p on this set. I switched 'picture management' OFF as it introduces quite a lot of 'noise' into the picture and degrades the image.

Note: Sky installer did not set optical output to 'dolby digital' so I only got stereo until I discovered the setting.

Edit: Setting to 1080i broke widescreen switching (forced everything into stretchyvision)... I went back to 'auto' and it started working agiain. Can't tell whether this is a TV issue or a SkyHD box issue.

really interested in knowing settings to minimise 'grain' :confused:

my set-up
Pioneer HD434
hdmi
1080i

TV : Panasonic TH37PV500
Type & Resolution : Plasma 1024x720
Optimum Setting : Not sure
Comments : Have to say, it's awesome stuff. The BBC feed is picture perfect (although I realise they may eventually drop the bit rate!). The Sky engineer was really good and he was quick to get it all up and running - apparently he got 100% in his exam after their training day ;) - the only thing he had a problem with was pairing my card from my old sky+ box. He had to wait about 15 mins on hold to talk to an operator who then said that I had 3 cards registered to my account and the HD channels were already enabled on a different one??? Eventually they conceded that I was probably right that the card form my sky+ box is the only card I have ever had and agreed to pair it up to the new HD box. Took a couple of hours for the HD channels to come down but it was worth the wait.

The main question I have for anyone else is have you found with a TV that has a native resolution of 720p that it's better to run at 1080i or 720p output? I've not really been able to tell a difference and I can't work out if I think 1080i look sbetter just because I'm tricking myself into seeing non-existent differences! I know there's the whole downscaling thing when putting 1080i into a 720p panel I just wondered what other people have experienced and if there's a definitive answer as to which mode I should use?

PeterBlair said:
Q. What have you got contrast set to in the picture settings? I can't decide between medium and high. Anyone know the pros/cons?
Contrast is the level of White, as opposed to Brightness which is the level of Black.

Personally I always use Contrast set to 'LOW' on Sky and Sky+ with digital televisions, this is so the high level whites are not crushed. I am sure it will be the same with Sky HD too.

StooMonster

TV : Panasonic TH37PV500
Type & Resolution : Plasma 1024x720
Resolution set by Sky Installer : 720p (as I said it was a 720 set)
Optimum Setting : 1080i

I also had to plug the TV Link into the correct socket, and set sound to Dolby D - although to be fair I plugged in the optical lead so perhaps he didn't pick up on that.

Similar card pairing woes (still not fixed).

I decided 1080i was better, then a chum came around and said the same. It is subtle though. If anything it is easiest to see the difference in the EPG, the menus look a smidge sharper. Or more accurately they look softer in 720p.

It is very hard to tell the difference in HD material, but we both thought SD looked a smidge better at 1080i.

TWH said:
The main question I have for anyone else is have you found with a TV that has a native resolution of 720p that it's better to run at 1080i or 720p output?
I found 1080i was better. A couple of possible reasons:

1. The deinterlacer in the Sky+HD box might not be as good as the deinterlacer in your TV.

2. Most (all?) TVs with 720 native resolution do NOT 1:1 pixel map, so using 720p will do two lots of scaling. 1080i to 720p in the Sky+HD box, and 720p to whatever scaling your TV does to provide the overscan required for broadcast television.

Thanks for the replies guys, glad to see that I'm not imagining a difference (or if I am I'm not the only one ;) ).

With regards to the sharpness in EPG etc... I'd agree, although the funny thing is, to my eyes if you stick the output to 576p it gives the crispest EPG of all!! I wonder if that's an indication that the scaler in the TV is better than that in the sky box?

TV : Panasonic Toshiba 46" dlp
Type & Resolution : Dlp 1280x720

I find the hd channels look a tiny bit sharper in 1080i mode. There is a slight overscan on sd channels like ssn but nothing to worry about.

TV : Panasonic 50PHD8
Type & Resolution : Plasma 1366x768
Audio Delay: 0ms

I haven't really had much time to play about with settings yet, But as Sky are boardcasting everything in 1080i thats what I have been using.

One thing I did notice last night was lip sync problems when watching 24 in HD, there would be a slight delay but it would catch up again, then lose sync again. No problems when I looked at sherk2 on movies HD.

Anyone else notice lipsync problems ?

SamirP said:
Anyone else notice lipsync problems ?

Yeah, I had to play around a bit, some channels seemed to be worse than others. I eventually changed the audio delay to 60ms which seemed right for all the channels but it is a bit of a pain and I wonder whether it will keep changing all the time.

Had Sky HD installed yesterday.

Originally bought a fairly cheap HDMI Lead 10mtrs. This cable did NOT work. It only displayed the SD content but screen came up with message "Not Supported Mode" when trying to view a HD channel.

Took off the 10mtr HDMI, Took the LCD off the wall and moved over to where the box was situated. Then connected Box via supplied 1.5mtr lead by Sky. This solved the previous HDMI problem and picture looked good although some grain visible on certain parts of the BBC HD Preview and Discovery HD (I.E, Chopper).

Put LCD back on wall and connected via a "shorter" route had to use 3mtr Component leads. (Cable currently hanging across the wall).

Cannot really to be honest see much difference in quality between the 3mtr Components and the supplied 1.5mtr HDMI. Still small amount of visible grain on certain programs as described above.

Ordered a 5mtr QED HDMI Cable at work today which should arrive on thursday in time for footie. Got it for £55.00 trade price (£75.00 RRP) as i work at an AV Electrical store and we have a trade account with QED direct. (Lucky!)

Will report back on thursday once connected using QED HDMI if any improvement made.

Current TV + Sky HD Box Settings.

Sky HD Box:
HD res Output : Auto (but will now switch to 1080i after reading various posts here seems to be better??)

Contrast Level : Medium

TV Settings:
Picture Mode : Custom
Contrast : 77
Brightness : 60
Sharpness : 45
Colour : 54

Digital NR : Off (Makes no difference on or off while viewing HD Content)
Dynamic Contrast : On (Almost looks like it takes away the "milky" sheen over the screen)
Brightness Sensor : Off (Hate this feature, dont like it switched on makes everything to dark picture looks like a CRT, Good but too dull)

My Colour Control (Not really sure whats good here but i like it what ive set it on now)

Pink : 25
Blue : 65
Green : 65

Anyone got this TV or "Similar Models" (Most menus are similar) then please advise to your full settings both HD Box and TV. Hopefully we can find optimum settings.

Please bare in mind that im currently viewing my HD content via a 3mtr Component lead. Picture on most HD stuff is good, better than EURO1080 box at work, but not as good as the Sony Demo running via a PC Output in work (Which is incredible anyone seen this??) I do realise that my panel is 1366 x 768 so the picture is being downscaled so im not complaining "TOO" much but any suggestions will be noted.

Will probably have to change some settings on thursday once i have the new QED HDMI Lead in place.

All comments welcome, HD is lovely but room for improvement is there.

hi mate, i have this TV, currently awaiting my HD instal (5th june).

so very interested to hear your views on how it performs

do you rate the tv with HD content highly ?

what content have you watched on it ?

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom