Sky+ HD optical to Samsung CT555 surround sound problem

BigVern375

Standard Member
I cannot get sound on my Samsung surround sound from my Sky+ HD box using the optical cable.

When I connect my Blu-Ray via the optical cable to my surround sound it works fine (I have swapped cables).

I have gone to system set up on the Sky box and ensured Dolby was selected.

There is a red light coming from the Sky box optical socket and when connected red light comes out of the optical cable.

This seems to be a common problem and typically my Sky box is out of warranty. If the problem is the Sky box can it be repaired cheaply or would it be better to buy a replacement?

Look forward to seeing if anyone can help me with this problem

logiciel

Hi and welcome to the forum.
It isn't a common problem here, and if it is a fault in the machine it won't get repaired.
Warranties don't matter much and as you're a subscriber you can easily get a free new machine.
What make and model is your current one?

logiciel

That's presumably the DRX890 that they now call simply Sky and is the standard issue.
Is this something that's just happened, or has it never worked from new?
We don't get many reports of them going wrong so you'd better double check the connections first.
Even though you've tried one other cable, try a third and make sure the plugs sit firmly in the sockets.

BigVern375

Standard Member
It was something that was becoming worse. I.E I had to jiggle the cable to get sound but then nothing. I have 4 optical cables and have tried them all. When I have a spare few hours I will phone Sky and talk to them about the problem. Nothing ventured, nothing gainned.

Stevenage Neil

How long is your optical cable? Does it go direct to the amp or via a switch?

Stevenage Neil

It does sound like the Sky box optical out socket is dodgy, (not unheard of). Can you not try the co-ax digital output?

logiciel

Yes, it's very likely to be a faulty socket, and the co-ax digital is the alternative method to use.

logiciel

They don't fix machines, they only replace them, so use the co-ax which is every bit as good.

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Marantz SR7015 & NAD T 778 AVR + Mission LX2 MKII Speaker Reviews, AV & Film News and More
Top Bottom