Sky+HD only £10 for all HD channels

GregHill3

Standard Member
Hi,

We are moving and currently trying to decide between sky HD or Virgin. Currently we a re a sky customer and have been for ages, when I rang this week to find out about HD, I was told apart fromt he box/install etc that the subscription of £10 would give me ALL HD channels including sports and movies, even though we don't currently subscribe to moveies or sports.

Is this correct? I'm sure in the past when I asked they said if I was paying for the movie package then the HD would include the movies etc. That is why we have not done it before, but it could be tempting now if what I have been told is correct.

Greg

F

Fatwaz

if you pay the hd sub you get all hd channels,even those not in your mixes EXCEPT premium channels movies and sports.i.e. you dont currently pay for the entertainment or knowledge mix but would get sky1hd and discovery hd

Jaycee Dove

You do get Europsport HD in the £10 as this is not part of the sports mix.

ESPN HD also comes free IF you pay separately for that in SD.

But Sky movies and Sport in HD require the equivelent SD subs first.

logiciel

I was told apart fromt he box/install etc that the subscription of £10 would give me ALL HD channels including sports and movies, even though we don't currently subscribe to moveies or sports.
You should have said yes - go ahead - and let me have it in writing!

Broadz

Distinguished Member
are sky not removing the £10 charge soon anyway? or is that just wishfull thinking from the newbie?

Very wishful thinking. It's one of their most popular packages, and gets you at least a dozen channels, and up to 30 channels, unavailable anywhere else for only a tenner a month. Why would Sky think of not charging for it? They're unlikely to drop the charge for the Sports Mix. They're unlikely to drop the charge for the Movies Mix. They're unlikely to drop the charge for the Variety Mix. Why on earth would they drop the charge for the HD Pack?

Last edited:

Beany31

Distinguished Member
Very wishful thinking. It's one of their most popular packages, and gets you at least a dozen channels, and up to 30 channels, unavailable anywhere else for only a tenner a month. Why would Sky think of not charging for it? They're unlikely to drop the charge for the Sports Mix. They're unlikely to drop the charge for the Movies Mix. They're unlikely to drop the charge for the Variety Mix. Why on earth would they drop the charge for the HD Pack?
I think I heard on Sky news the other day that they're stopping charging for HD content as wel.

DaveCheltenham

The £10/month may be justified for 35 channels with someone one Sky World but on a basic package of £17/month, £10 is a lot for 2 or 3 HD channels which on a number of programmes is not much of an improvement.

If you just take the cost of say, Sky World (£47.50) plus HD is £690/year or £930/year if you have multiroom HD. No doubt 3D will be another revenue generator?

Should we still be saying ONLY?

Regards

Broadz

Distinguished Member
The £10/month may be justified for 35 channels with someone one Sky World but on a basic package of £17/month, £10 is a lot for 2 or 3 HD channels which on a number of programmes is not much of an improvement.

Well, as £10 per month gets you a minimum of at least 15 or 16 channels regardless of what your basic package is, that argument holds no water whatsoever does it? If you only choose to watch 1 or 2 of those HD channels, even though you receive nearly 20, then there's not a lot of point in paying the HD Pack subscription cost for all of them. Stick to the free HD channels (all four of them) and don't pay anything extra for HD.

tausifs

If you want to retain sky plus recording functionality then its 10 quid anyway isn't it ? So you get the free HD channels thrown in if you have a HD box.

Broadz

Distinguished Member
If you want to retain sky plus recording functionality then its 10 quid anyway isn't it ?

You have to pay £10 per month for Sky+ functionality with no Sky TV subscription, yes. But what does this have to do with what either the OP, or anybody else, has said in this thread? Nobody is talking about Sky+ functionality - the conversation is purely about what HD channels do you get for the HD Pack subscription. Recording doesn't come into it.

ghking3

Standard Member
after looking on the sky site before i upgraded i thought you got all hd channels, more to the point the movie channels as im only able to afford half of them and was a tough choice which made me think result on the others, but nope, just hd for the ones you subcribed to, which still isnt bad simply as i only watch sky movies in hd now lol.

i was also skepticle about having the other hd channels in the pack as i didnt think i would watch them, but after watching certain ones(sky1, scifi to name 2), im glad i went hd as i certainly see the difference in quality, just wish all of sky was in hd now :rolleyes:

DaveCheltenham

Well, as £10 per month gets you a minimum of at least 15 or 16 channels regardless of what your basic package is, that argument holds no water whatsoever does it? If you only choose to watch 1 or 2 of those HD channels, even though you receive nearly 20, then there's not a lot of point in paying the HD Pack subscription cost for all of them. Stick to the free HD channels (all four of them) and don't pay anything extra for HD.
Clearly Broadz, I must be mistaken.

I have the Entertainment package (£16=£1/month) so not counting BBC, CH4 and Lux HD (received without HD Pack) which 15+ HD channels do I get for the extra £10/month?

Regards

Broadz

Distinguished Member
I have the Entertainment package (£16=£1/month) so not counting BBC, CH4 and Lux HD (received without HD Pack) which 15+ HD channels do I get for the extra £10/month?

You missed ITV HD, which is also available without subscription.

The HD channels everybody gets in the HD Pack, regardless of which SD mixes they subscribe to are as follows:-

Sky One HD.
Sky Arts 1 HD.
Sky Arts 2 HD.
Sky Real Lives HD.
History HD.
National Geographic HD.
National Geographic Wild HD.
Discovery HD.
Crime HD.
FX HD.
Rush HD.
Eurosport HD.
SciFi HD.
Bio HD.
MTVN HD.
E4HD.

The Sky Sports HD channels, Sky Movies HD channels, Disney HD channels and ESPN HD are dependent on you subscribing to the equivalent SD channels also.

Regards.

logiciel

I have the Entertainment package (£16=£1/month) so....which 15+ HD channels do I get for the extra £10/month?
One Entertainment package is £18, then another £1 for each of the other five. Everyone with at least one Entertainment Pack who adds the HD Pack receives the channels that Broadz lists.

DaveCheltenham

One Entertainment package is £18, then another £1 for each of the other five. Everyone with at least one Entertainment Pack who adds the HD Pack receives the channels that Broadz lists.
Thanks for the clarification logiciel and Broadz.

Regards

logiciel

:thumbsup:

tausifs

You have to pay £10 per month for Sky+ functionality with no Sky TV subscription, yes. But what does this have to do with what either the OP, or anybody else, has said in this thread? Nobody is talking about Sky+ functionality - the conversation is purely about what HD channels do you get for the HD Pack subscription. Recording doesn't come into it.

It may seem irrelevant to you but in the context of things, I beg to differ.

BTW, even if you have a Sky TV subscription last I heard was you still have to pay £10 for Sky plus functionality. Paying £10 a month for Sky + or even Sky+HD doesn't net you any channels if you don't have an existing subscription. What you are saying is misleading.

GasDad

Remembered (1964-2012)
It may seem irrelevant to you but in the context of things, I beg to differ.

BTW, even if you have a Sky TV subscription last I heard was you still have to pay £10 for Sky plus functionality.

And you heard this when exactly (2001?).

If you have any kind of sky subscription you do not have to pay for sky+ functionality. This has been the case for years.

Broadz

Distinguished Member
BTW, even if you have a Sky TV subscription last I heard was you still have to pay £10 for Sky plus functionality.

So, prior to July 2007 then? Only two and a half years out of date...

Paying £10 a month for Sky +

Why do you keep bringing this up? It has no relevance.

or even Sky+HD doesn't net you any channels if you don't have an existing subscription.

You can't have a Sky HD subscription without an existing Sky TV subscription. You used to be able to (ask logiciel, the forum moderator who has been contributing to this thread, he had it) and with that subscription he still had access to all the channels in the HD Pack - but not to any subscription SD channels. But Sky stopped that option almost two years ago now. You can only add the Sky HD Pack to an existing Sky TV subscription - and regardless of what that Sky TV subscription is, you will get all the HD channels in the HD Pack except the premium ones. And because you have to have a Sky TV subscription to get the HD Pack, you obviously are getting Sky+ functionality included, FOC. Clear now?

logiciel

Yes, I did have the non-premium HD channels only, but they clamped down on that, so I had to take on a single Entertainment pack.
Sky+ functionality has been free with any Sky subscription for ages.

The latest video from AVForums

Star Wars Andor, Woman King, more Star Trek 4K, Rings of Power & the latest TV, movies & 4K releases
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Latest News

JVC adds Filmmaker Mode to latest D-ILA projector firmware
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Bowers & Wilkins launches Px8 headphone
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Sky set to launch its plug-and-play Sky Stream solution
  • By Ian Collen
  • Published
Movies Podcast: 26th September 2022