Sky HD on the PE50

Discussion in 'Sky Digital TV Forum' started by jinkyjim, Mar 26, 2006.

1. jinkyjim

jinkyjim

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    I have the PE50,
    Is anyone on the forum here with the PE50 planning on getting Sky HD? and would the P.Q be much better than normal Sky?
    A few people on the forum say its madness getting Sky HD on a sd plasma
    and a few more say you get a great P.Q from a HD feed.
    so what do all you PE50 owners say?
    Jim

2. Majid Khan

Majid Khan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'll have to admit, i'm facing this dilemma myself at the moment.

I'm really happy with the 42PE50 which i've now had for 6 months or so...

But i'm also keen on high def and want to get Sky HD, in time for the World cup.
    As far as the PE50 goes, it is HD compatible and will display HD through components , but then it is only a matter of time before Sky disable the component option on their HD channels and require HDCP enabled HDMI.

So that's one reason why i'm thinking of getting a new HD ready tele.. but at the same time i'm not entirely convinced if the HD picture quality on a a HD plasma (PV500) is noticeably better than HD on a PE50 when viewed from a normal distance.. sure, it looks sharper close up , but is that really worth paying all the extra money for ? :) i dont think i'll be able to convince the missus.

Another option i'm thinking abt is maybe going for a Hd-ready 32" LCD , spending about £1000 at the max... but then i'm wondering if watching High Defintion on such a small screen is really going to be worth it ? Especially given that we have a damn good 42" tele in the other room.. and wanting to watch the footy on a big screen was one of the reasons I went for a 42" plasma, and if I ended up with Sky HD on a 32" tele, would I really want to watch the World cup in HD on a 32" lcd or watch it in really good SD quality on a huge 42" Viera ? :rolleyes:

I'm going nuts again, lol.

Maybe i'll just go for the 42PX60 ..

3. jinkyjim

jinkyjim

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    Hi majid,
    thats what i want to see, the World cup in HD,
    i am foootball mad and England winning the world cup in HD would be fantastic :clap:
    i might try to sell my PE50 and buy a HD screen.
    jim

4. Olaup

Olaup
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +23
    If you consider selling your PE50's how much & are they CAB or PED models ?
    My mum & dad recently bought one of these so now my sister is after one but can't find any to buy except John Lewis who are asking silly money .

5. chedmaster

chedmaster

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +28
    Oh dear you're not trying to decide again are you :D :rotfl:

6. Faust

Faust

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +759
    Come on Majid - you have seen the PE50 running HD as too have I, along with lots of others on this forum. The opinion is almost universal i.e. that watching at anything further than two feet away from the PE50 then you would need the eyes of a Peregrine Falcon to detect any difference. As for Sky and HDCP I have already quoted the email response I have had from them regarding this matter i.e. Sky's hardware cycle is usually 5 years, using component should not prove an issue for Sky HD viewers as something akin to Macrovision will be employed. Now if they recant from that then so be it, but if I was in the market for HD and I was in your position there's no way I would be looking to replace my PE50. Wait until Sky do employ HDCP as the encryption method of choice then decide.

7. kingtj

kingtj

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    Hi jinkyjim,

How much would you be looking @ for your PE50 ?

Thank

8. Majid Khan

Majid Khan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I think you're quite right Faust, maybe i'm just falling into all the marketing and hype about HD .. :)

To be honest, I'm really happy with the picture quality on my 42PE50, especially with Sky Sports recently , most of the football matches seem to be HD broadcasts downscaled to an SD resolution, even close up.. the pic quality is superb.

I did in the past have an issue with motion blur with football on the plasma, but either my eyes have become used to it and I can no longer notice it, or Sky have come up with some technique to eliminate motion blur altogether, all I can say is the football on Sky Sports on my 42PE50 is breathtakingly good!

DVDs have always been superb, and most SD channels are fine if not pretty damn good pic quality from a normal viewing distance.

So why do I wanna spend 2 grand just for a few more lines and detail in the picture quality , that really i might not be able to notice when watching from a normal viewing distance? :suicide: i dunno, maybe i've just got too much money to throw around! :D

Hmm.. might be an idea to buy a 50" tele instead, and watch the world cup on a super big screen... anyone know if there will be a Panasonic 50PX60/600?

9. pythagoras

pythagoras

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +95
    The main problem you have to look out for, and I haven't seen a definative answer from either Sky or NTL/Telewest, is whether the people they buy the HD content from are demanding HDCP or not.

If this is the case, and the recent transmission on Tvdrive of sincity, seems to confirm, then some HD content will not work over the component leads. In that case you would not be able to view some HD channels, apart from the BBC ones.

If I didnt have a tv or panel that didnt have an HDCP complient input I would definately get confirmation from the providers before spending £300 pounds on the box.

Regards

John.

10. jinkyjim

jinkyjim

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    Thats good advice pythagoras, wait till we have confirmation from Sky about the component input, i think ill keep my PE50 till i know if sky HD will work on it.
    If not ill buy a HD screen.

11. daveyjay

daveyjay

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    Yes there will-around June,I believe.

12. the highlander

the highlander
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    i have my pe50 running fine on the new telewest pvr/hd . pride looks fantastic on my set . my neighbor next door has the pv500 and its a little better showing hd at a closer viewing distance :cool: .
    but viewing my set at normal viewing distance's 12 feet ( component ) both myself and mt neighbor could not tell the difference in PQ .
    ok i can only display HD using component , but the only downfall i see using that is i cant rent films from telewest :D .
    i find the best settings are 720p using HD , and as far as i know the BBC will be allowing both telewest and sky access to the world cup and other exiting stuff :thumbsup: in HD .

13. jinkyjim

jinkyjim

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    I only have normal sky and i was looking to upgrade to SKY +.
    With SKY HD, are all the features the same as the SKY+ box??

14. chedmaster

chedmaster

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +28
    Yes, the same features plus HD