SKY HD on component

daniel.godfrey

Standard Member
Back in the day, there was mucho concern when it became clear that the Euro HD standard was going to be at 50Hz, thus excluding nearly all the existing HD sets out there which only accepted digital signals at 60Hz. Then, quite early on in Sky's "communication" (and I use the word with heavy irony) about HD they said that the initial boxes would allow component connections as well as HDCP, precisely to address this problem.

However, it's all gone quiet over there. In more recent "communications", no mention. I think the box has component outputs, but will Sky scale the picture down to SD?

Does anyone know anything definitive, or, as seems more likely, have an intelligent :smashin: opinion?

Daniel

MAW

Banned
Daniel, all the latest sky speak is still showing component output. The box pictures show it, and Sky themselves have specifically stated that HD will be available from component. HD-DVD may be more of an issue, but there's many ways of cracking this particular egg, especially in your case.

phil5743

Can I revive this thread by asking what I hope is not a stupid question: Does the 50/60Hz incompatibility only apply to a DVI/HDMI connection and does that mean that it is not an issue using component?

ahaydock

Is it still just the first batch of Sky HD boxes that will have component?

hornydragon

Component is still 50 or 60Hz but 50Hz is far more widely accpeted on Component than early HDMI and dVI inputs some exceptions like PE30 range panny veria plasmas wont take 720p @ 50Hz on component only 576i 576p and 1080i (@50Hz)

And no current info on later V2 sky HD boxes yet i would think they will keep component until its pointless (ie most content is HDCP protected)

phil5743

Opinions about ALIS panels aside, do you think my Sony KDE P37-SX1 will accept a 1080i/50Hz signal vial component - Sony say yes but I trust you guys more!

phil5743

Sorry to labour on this point but I need to be really sure - MAW in a previous post specifically said my screen was unable to display a 1080i/50Hz signal - could he have been implying that was via a digital connection and not component. Thanks for replying so fast!

hornydragon

Without having your screen and a sig gen in front of me i cant confirm. If you want confirmation either wait for Sky HD to be available (or try another HD source like an upscaling DVD player (oppo?) or book an ISF calibration and get the calinrator to use there sig gen into your panel to test. Piers may do it for a few £ if he is passsing your way drop him a line www.homecinemaengineering.com

MAW

Banned
Via digital, no dice. 1080i 50Hz component is fine, but no 720p. You will have to set your box to 1080i. Not ideal, but better than a kick in the teeth, without a doubt.

hornydragon

What are you doing in france MAW? and are we sure you can user set the output? I know there are rumours that 1080i will be the majority format (I wonder why??)

phil5743

Thanks MAW, I came across your old post about my screen the day after I had paid my 299 to Sky and my heart sank. I have been frantically trying to get an answer since, and am so relieved to have a logical explanation. Hopefully 1080i/50 via component will tide me over until I get my next screen/everything is copy -protected!

dinga

Standard Member
Sorry to be a novice but what is the significance of 50 Hz and 60 Hz... I have a Sony KLV-L32M1, with only component too.. I have heard from the forums that the Xbox 360 works fine on 720p...but will it with sky HD??

The manual is no help either.. I've just had a look...

Cheers

Alan

H

Honkycat

phil5743 said:
Thanks MAW, I came across your old post about my screen the day after I had paid my 299 to Sky and my heart sank. I have been frantically trying to get an answer since, and am so relieved to have a logical explanation. Hopefully 1080i/50 via component will tide me over until I get my next screen/everything is copy -protected!

I have the same Sony TV as you. Can you translate all this techno-speak for me? Is this TV ok for HD? Incidentally, I'm REALLY annoyed as this TV was sold to me a little over a year ago as being HD ready!

Thanks,

Steve

phil5743

As far as I can ascertain (I have also phoned Sony), it is HD compatible using component inputs - my only concern has been now put to rest by MAW. I am due to have it installed on May 22nd so PM me then and I'll let you know for sure. There is also debate as to how good HD will be on an ALIS panel which is what our screen is - this concerns the way ALIS panels display images which is somewhat different to other plasmas - I will be your guinea pig if you like!

H

Honkycat

Thanks Phil!
I just think it's ridiculous that this was bought a year ago as HD ready! It cost a lot of money (to me anyway) and I had thought it would do me for quite a few years. Maybe we should take out some sort of class action lawsuit against Sony! lol.
Oh well, we'll see...
Thanks again, I feel moderately reassured too... :rolleyes:

Steve.

Joe Fernand

Distinguished Member
AVForums Sponsor
Hello Honkycat

If you were sold a Display on the basis that it was 'HD Ready' and the official 'HD Ready' logo was anywhere near the Display when you were being assured of its pedigree then I'd be going around to see your Retailer.

'HD Ready' is a quality standard set by and adopted by EICTA - any Display that's sold as 'HD Ready' must meet the minimum specification which includes provision for 720p and 1080i Digital (HDMI or DVI with HDCP) and Analogue (Component) Input signals.

See http://www.eicta.org/press.asp?level2=24&level1=6&level0=1&year=2005&docid=398

Best regards

Joe

MAW

Banned
I have a client who has one, it is not compatible with 720/50, only at 60 Hz via component. I believe it is supposed to be, but his is not, I have tried it with a Buffalo media streamer, and then, disbelieving it, with a Lumagen taken to the site for the purpose.

phil5743

MAW said:
I have a client who has one, it is not compatible with 720/50, only at 60 Hz via component. I believe it is supposed to be, but his is not, I have tried it with a Buffalo media streamer, and then, disbelieving it, with a Lumagen taken to the site for the purpose.

Did you actually try 1080i/50 though?

H

Honkycat

So, can this Sony TV be used ok for HD, if you fiddle with the settings.... I need to have this explained in plain language...:rolleyes: Thanks.... sorry for being a technophobe!

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Trinnov Room Optimiser: A full explanation of Trinnov and its room optimiser technology
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Latest News

Samsung teases 76-inch MicroLED TV plus flagship Q950A soundbar
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Amazon Music fully available on Android TV and Google TV platforms
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Sony announces A90J UK/EU price and March availability
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
AVForums Podcast: 27th February 2021