DVD/Amp <-> TV : Optical cable
DVD/Amp <-> TV : HDMI1
Sky+ <-> TV : Scart cable
DVD/Amp <-> Sky+ : Nothing

Adding Sky HD I tried ..

DVD/Amp <-> TV : HDMI2
Sky+ <-> TV : HDMI1 {sky installer said hdmi1 works better with skyHD}
DVD/Amp <-> Sky+ : Optical cable

but now when I switch tv input from HDMI1 to HDMI2 (DVD/Amp) or Antenna (for freeview) via remote I still hear the sky sound even though the pictures are correct for the channel chosen. The only way to fix it is to put back the DVD/Amp <-> TV : Optical cable

btw, I remembered to chose DD on Sky HD box.

I've obviously messed up somewhere - can someone advise how I can have optical between dvd/amp and sky yet still hear tv or dvd if chosen?

Thanks.

StevieBuck

It will make it much easier for us to help you properly if you give us the connections available on the TV & sound system - or at least the model numbers so we can check the manufacturers' websites.

You've moved the optical connection away from the TV, and into the Sky+HD box - that's why you're only getting audio from the Sky box and not the TV. Depending on what connections are available on your kit, you may have the following options:

1. If your system has 2 optical inputs, buy a 2nd optical cable and re-connect the TV with that.

2. If the TV has an analogue audio output (a pair of red/white phono outputs) and the system has an input for this connect them with that.

3. Buy an optical switch (not a splitter) and an extra couple of optical cables so you can connect both the TV and the Sky+HD box into the single optical input.
You could actually connect it exactly as before, only substituting the scart between the Sky box/TV for an HDMI - relying on the TV to output the Sky audio back to the sound system. You get 5.1 Dolby Digital audio on a lot of HD programmes though, which you would more than likely lose out on doing it this way (most TVs only output stereo via its optical output).

It should make no difference whatsoever as to which HDMI inputs the Sky and and DVD system are plugged into, I'm not sure what the Sky installer was getting at there.

Last edited:

3iron

Standard Member
Thanks for your reply :)

It will make it much easier for us to help you properly if you give us the connections available on the TV & sound system - or at least the model numbers so we can check the manufacturers' websites..
I have a LG 32pg6000 plus a Panasonic SC-PT470EB-K 5.1 DVD Home Cinema System plus Pace HD box.

[*]If your system has 2 optical inputs, buy a 2nd optical cable and re-connect the TV with that.

[*]If the TV has an analogue audio output (a pair of red/white phono outputs) and the system has an input for this connect them with that.

[*]Buy an optical switch (not a splitter) and an extra couple of optical cables so you can connect both the TV and the Sky+HD box into the single optical input.
The DVD/Amp only has one optical and so first suggestion wouldn't work. I tried Number 2 just now but didn't make any difference. I can look at number three - is there such a thing as an automatic switch, so I don't have to switch it each time I change inputs?

StevieBuck

After checking the manuals, I see that the TV doesn't have an analogue audio output - hence why it wasn't working. My guess is that you had the audio cables connected to one of the TV's audio inputs which are associated with either the composite or component video inputs.

While looking at the manual I was reminded of another option which, if it works, would mean you won't need to buy a switch & additional cables. On page 7 of the (electronic) manual for the Panasonic, it states that the scart connection can also be used to transfer audio from your TV back into the sound system. Essentially, you'd have it set up like this:

Sound system --HDMI--> TV
Sound system --SCART--> TV
Sky+HD --HDMI--> TV
Sky+HD --optical--> Sound system

This method will only work if any of your TV's scart connections can output sound. I seem to recall other LG users doing this successfully, so it would definitely be worth trying. All you should have to do is make sure the correct audio input is set on the sound system. On p12 the manual states that the input is named "AV" for the scart input.

3iron

Standard Member
Thanks again, Stevie.

Tried the scart suggestion but didn't work. In fact, not only did the sound not come from the tv input, but I also lost picture on the Antenna setting on the tv - the Antenna input came up on the screen as the Sound system page.

I suppose the only route (so I can get DD5.1 from Sky HD plus tv audio via the sound system) is to have two ptical cables and one switch. I've actaully got an optical switch from before and I have found one more optical cable but I need three to try it :(

I dont like the thought of having to manaully turn the switch each time I switch inputs but I can seem to find such a thing as an automatic optical cable switch - does such a thing exist?

The latest video from AVForums

Panasonic HZ2000 OLED TV Review: The best OLED for movie viewing in 2020
Top Bottom