Sky HD-No Signal, Sky SD Works fine

Discussion in 'Sky Digital TV Forum' started by SuperFinn, Dec 31, 2006.

1. SuperFinn

SuperFinn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,
    I had trouble getting a proper installation job from sky due to strange layout of my flat so I decided to install cabling myself and bought Sky HD box from ebay. I know there is nothing wrong with my cabling since I can run my current sky SD box from both the inputs. But if I plug in my Sky HD box I get "no signal". The only way I can fix this is by going to the LNB setup (4-0-1-1 menu) and turning OFF the 22KHz and LNB Power. I then have to turn the Power back on but leave the 22KHz setting to OFF. This gives me the channel listings, BBC HD, ITV 1, ITV2, ITV 3.. But no other channels. All other channels are still "No Signal". If I switch the 22KHz back on and turn off-on the box then I get nothing again.

1)Is this a broken box or fault in my LNB?
    2)Could this be because I havent called sky to assign my card to my box yet? (dont wanna do it befor I know it works)
    3)Ebay guy said the box has 1 years manufacturers guarantee. (as all electronics in EU should have). Problem is, sky wont hear of it. They said boxes are only fixed at location of original install. I then tried to call thomson and cannot find any number to get through. they are a complicated company and no-one knows of any department that would deal with sky boxes. There are no official numbers either on the internet/telephone book etc.

If anyone has any ideas of what I might do to fix the problem I'd love to hear from you. I have to add the LNB I am using does have another box connected to it. But as I mentioned, everything works fine when I connect my SKY SD box to it.

:lease: HELP!!!

2. Karapet

Karapet
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Your viewing card has to be paired up to the box by Sky so that's probably your problem.

3. Rezillo

Rezillo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    Sounds as if your box's tone signal (for band switching) is stuck on unless you switch it off manually via the menus. Most of the FTA BBC and ITV channels are in low band (below 11700). To check, leave it switched on and see if you can get Sky News (high band 12207V) or BBC Parliament (11954H). If you can get the EPG at all, and it sounds as if you can, this indicates the box is getting 11778V, a high band frequency.

It's either a box hardware fault, firmware corruption (try a forced software download) or an incompatibility with your lnb. I don't think not having the card paired yet affects this - I could receive all the FTA channels ok before I got my card paired. You could also try a full reset. Bear in mind that if there is a hardware fault, a forced software download or reset could possibly make things worse!

John

4. SuperFinn

SuperFinn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks, I'm hoping its an incompatibility problem with the LNB. I tried to do the "official reset, install" route today and if I have the 22KHz switch on, I dont get any signal in the signal test (no lock), but if I switch it off I get a signal but then all/most channels dont work (like BBC Parliament
    and Sky News). So I'm gonna order another LNB and hope for the best. If that doesnt solve it, I guess I've learned my lesson to not buy stuff from ebay.

5. cric2k

cric2k

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    who was the ebay seller might I ask?

I have having a few issues with a certain ebay seller and my sky hd box at the minute.

6. fourtears

fourtears

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Did you manage to solve this problem? I have the same problem myself.

First connected the HD box, no signal either line. Switched off LNB power and 22khz. After that getting signal on both lines, and the same channels as the OP seem to work.

I have not yet called sky to pair the card with the box. (unless this was done automatically by the 'call back' during installation.)

7. fourtears

fourtears

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Ok I have solved my problem. Spoke to sky technical support and learned following.

LNB power needs to be on. 22khz needs to be on.

It is possible to have a fault with the box such that signal looks ok with LNB/22k off, but not with it on.

Net result, I swapped for another hd box and all fine now. The old one had a faulty input 1 that only showed up if LNB power on.