Sky HD - No signal being received - Error message 29

accountancyboy

Standard Member
Reaction score
My Sky HD box was disconnected whilst I painted my lounge yesterday. When I plugged it back in itsays looking for listings and then says "No Satellite Signal Being received" with a number 29. The Signal test screen in the Installer Menu has no data - no signal strength, it is not locked etc - just zero data.

If I plug my Sky+ box from another room in it works fine - so assume dish and cables are ok.

Then tried to plug the HD box back in - found that I could not attach the cable for dish input 1 - the input normally has a little hole where you put in the wire coming from the dish. Dish input 2 can go in just fine - in dish input 1 it looks like the old wire has broken inside the connector on the back of the skyHD box - so there isnt a hole to stick the wire back in.

Is there any way to get that out? If that is the only error, then should dish input 2 not still work fine? i.e when I went back to the signal menu - it shows both dish inputs with no data, not locked etc - but there is no reason why input 2 could not still show up as connected?

Anyone seen this before or able to help?

Thanks in advance

S

Last edited:
Did you find out what this was? I've got the same error message showing now

Did you find out what this was? I've got the same error message showing now
number 29 is in the top righthand corner of the box then it seems rather a widespread problem.

sky are trying to work out why it's happened, but to fix it i was instructed to do this...

press services
press 4
quickly press 0, 1 and then select

this will give you the installer setup menu.

press 2
this will give you the default transponder menu. now, my frequency was wrong so all i had to do was press red to reset it @ your own risk

Yes, remove the covers. Details here:
http://www.satcure.co.uk/tech/thom_psu.htm

The tuner modules can be unplugged with a little more dismantling. You should then be able to poke the offending wire out.
[/url]

If the broken wire can not be pushed further in the it's most likely the connector is sealed at the end so no amount of disassembling the tuner module will allow you to poke it out.

Unfortunately the plug-in tuner modules for the Thomson box are no longer available so it's either £65 to Sky for a replacement box or try and get hold of a faulty box and cannibalise it for spares.

The cheaper option is probably Sky seeing as faulty HD boxes tend to sell for upwards of £80 on Ebay, I've seen the sell for well over £100.

My Sky HD box was disconnected whilst I painted my lounge yesterday. When I plugged it back in itsays looking for listings and then says "No Satellite Signal Being received" with a number 29. The Signal test screen in the Installer Menu has no data - no signal strength, it is not locked etc - just zero data.

If I plug my Sky+ box from another room in it works fine - so assume dish and cables are ok.

Then tried to plug the HD box back in - found that I could not attach the cable for dish input 1 - the input normally has a little hole where you put in the wire coming from the dish. Dish input 2 can go in just fine - in dish input 1 it looks like the old wire has broken inside the connector on the back of the skyHD box - so there isnt a hole to stick the wire back in.

Is there any way to get that out? If that is the only error, then should dish input 2 not still work fine? i.e when I went back to the signal menu - it shows both dish inputs with no data, not locked etc - but there is no reason why input 2 could not still show up as connected?

Anyone seen this before or able to help?

Thanks in advance

S

Have you tried the slightly low-tech (but often effective) approach of trying to hoover the broken wire out of the connector? You might be surprised, and if it does work, you'll save yourself a lot of time, trouble and expense.

number 29 is in the top righthand corner of the box then it seems rather a widespread problem.

sky are trying to work out why it's happened, but to fix it i was instructed to do this...

press services
press 4

press 2
this will give you the default transponder menu. now, my frequency was wrong so all i had to do was press red to reset it @ your own risk

Thanks Chillerbass, this worked a treat! :thumbsup: Had called Sky and they talked me through the dummies switch off/on & planner rebuild & then gave up and arranged an engineer visit. A few hours later I found your post - tried it and it worked instantly! Will cancel the engineer tomorrow... :clap:

Thanks Chillerbass, this worked a treat! :thumbsup: Had called Sky and they talked me through the dummies switch off/on & planner rebuild & then gave up and arranged an engineer visit. A few hours later I found your post - tried it and it worked instantly! Will cancel the engineer tomorrow... :clap:

Same thing here - cheers Chillerbass, amazing how much more useful this forum is than a so called "tech support" helpline:thumbsup:

My Sky HD box has been ******ing me about since the weekend with the "No Satellite Signal Being received" with 29 in the corner.

Tried the above tip and it seems o.k now. Now I've never touched my frequency settings so what are Sky downloading to our boxes?

Got the Error 29 tonight. Had been watching Sky all evening and suddenly the signal died and was replaced with the "No satellite signal being received" message.

Followed the instructions provided by chillerbass and now it's OK again, so a big thank you goes to chillerbass. :thumbsup: :smashin:

press services
press 4

press 2
Was it your good self that posted this fix on Skyuser forums? If so, ta very much indeed! :thumbsup:

Before I found that post, I was on the phone to Sky, who had no idea of a fix, and recommended an engineer. I refused the £65 engineer visit as a new HD box is only £62 or so here in Jersey.

You've saved me all the hassle of setting up a new account, and you've saved me from a very grumpy girlfriend who thought she'd lost the last episode of Dexter and the whole series thus far of Heroes! :D

I have the same issue with my Sky +HD box when I turn it off at the mains overnight. When I turn it back on I get the same error message No. 29. I have tried rebooting the LNB transponder yesterday but it did not fix the error. I end up switching it off then on again at the mains then it sorts itself out a few minutes later.

I spoke to Sky this morning and they reckon is because I turn off the mains at night and I lose the sat signal in the connection to the box. They recommend me to leave in on Standby which I am a bit loathed to do when I other equipment is connected on the same electrical expander sockets I have in place.

Do most people recommend I should leave it on standby or try and get the box replaced?

Cheers

Jabba

I have the same issue with my Sky +HD box when I turn it off at the mains overnight. When I turn it back on I get the same error message No. 29. I have tried rebooting the LNB transponder yesterday but it did not fix the error. I end up switching it off then on again at the mains then it sorts itself out a few minutes later.

I spoke to Sky this morning and they reckon is because I turn off the mains at night and I lose the sat signal in the connection to the box. They recommend me to leave in on Standby which I am a bit loathed to do when I other equipment is connected on the same electrical expander sockets I have in place.

Do most people recommend I should leave it on standby or try and get the box replaced?

Cheers

Jabba

I leave mine on stand-by all the time mate, so there talking nonsense. Have you tried the fix above by going into the engineers menu. It's fixed mine no issues at all since I applied it to my box.

I leave mine on stand-by all the time mate, so there talking nonsense. Have you tried the fix above by going into the engineers menu. It's fixed mine no issues at all since I applied it to my box.

What's the engineer's menu?

Cheers

press services
press 4

press 2

What's the engineer's menu?

Cheers

Just follow the above instuctions mate.

Have you tried the slightly low-tech (but often effective) approach of trying to hoover the broken wire out of the connector? You might be surprised, and if it does work, you'll save yourself a lot of time, trouble and expense.

Yeah, right. Try sucking it out first. Saves you getting the vacuum cleaner out. Worth a try?

Just tried it now the transponder reset but it did nothing for me. What do you do after pressing red to reset? If you don't mind me asking.

Just went back to the old trick of turning off/on at the plug. I blame Sky for crappy equipment not being field tested.

I pressed red to reset then saved the settings before exiting and it started working perfectly after a few minutes...touch wood!

I pressed red to reset then saved the settings before exiting and it started working perfectly after a few minutes...touch wood!

Thanks. I tried that but not joy. I think I will leave the power on a trickle.

Wish I had found this thread before I called out the engineer :mad:

I wish I could say it worked for me, but alas no! :( Now it just says "Searching for listings" and that won't go away.

BTW, the sky engineer didn't know this fix, he just replaced the HD box

BTW, the sky engineer didn't know this fix, he just replaced the HD box

press services
press 4

press 2

I have tried this, but it does not seem to do anything. When I press red for reset the frequency does not change. What frequency should it be?

It won't change if it's correct anyway. 11.778, V, 27.5, 2/3

Thanks!! - I have had this problem for ages where each time I switched on there was no signal - I unplugged etc and it would work - today I noticed that my main signal was down to - I swapped over the cables and both are working - so I thought the box was broken in some way - anyway tried the tips on here and despite frequencys being correct I reset and saved them anyway - and hey presto now have both signals at full strength!!

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom