Sky HD news

Discussion in 'Sky Digital TV Forum' started by ladypickers, Mar 3, 2005.

1. ladypickers

ladypickers

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Just thought I'd share an email that I got back from Sky today, although it doesnt say much that we didnt already know, they had this information issued to them today.

Thank you for your further e-mail regarding high definition television and Sky's future plans.

Please let me confirm, Sky is on track to launch a HDTV service in 2006, this will include a combination of sports, movies, entertainment and documentary programming. Full details and pricing will be announced in due course. We would recommend that you look out for an "HD Ready" labelled TV. This is a scheme introduced by the TV manufacturing organisation EICTA. Any TV set that carries this label will be compatible with Sky's HDTV service. It is highly unlikely existing equipment will be compatible with the service via software upgrades and, as such, Sky is launching a new HDTV receiver that will initially be manufactured by Thomson. This will feature similar PVR features that Sky+ offers. Sky's HDTV service will support 720P/ 50 and 1080i / 25. I am sure you will understand, I cannot recommend one particular manufacturer. You may wish to view the variety of independent reviews online. Finally, it is expected that the HDTV service will run alongside our existing SDTV, particularly as many broadcasters may not initially utilised the HDTV capabilities on the platform.

2. nicke20

nicke20

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    thomson :eek:

3. ladypickers

ladypickers

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    just found more details here.....the long version of my email ...... http://www.homecinemachoice.com/cgi-bin/shownews.php?id=7606. When I spoke to Sky I did say to them would it not have been sensible to liase with the manufacturers in order to produce plasmas or terminal boards that would be compatible with Sky Hi Def as they are risking only a small minority being in a position to take up Sky Hi Def when it launches rather than considerably more people that would like to be able to....but cant afford to start upgrading or replacing their already expensive kit. IMO get your market place ready before launching a new product not the other way round

4. tim k

tim k

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Looks like the 1600 quid on pw6 might have been a bad idea then. I'm hoping some kind of converter/cable will be available like in the us that converts the hdmi/hdcp signal into vga!

It's either that or trying to flog the pw6 before sky hdtv is launched to someone not well informed, and then up the budget!!

5. Dubbing Mixer

Dubbing Mixer
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2

Or sell it to one of us 'Freeview' folk who have no intention of lining Murdoch's pockets now, or in the future, at a nice low price ;)

6. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    Well solutions are already available (PW6 is an SD display 852x480 pixels so was never going to be that useful for HiDef regardless of HDCP etc)

7. junpit

junpit

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi

Are there any good plasmas that support HDMI that are relatively inexpensive. I currently have a 42PD3000 and was thinking of buying a 42PD5200 which supports 720p and 1080i. I want something of similar quality for around the same money (ie around 2k). The 42PD5200 makes no mention of HDMI and hence I am sure it provide HDTV via component, like my 42PD3000 provides 576p via component.

My hitachi is a really nice TV and hence I would like another one if possible.

-Darren