• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Sky HD Multiroom Prices

MikeNolan

Novice Member
I currently have a Sky HD box in living room which costs £10 extra for HD and a Sky+ box linked to a small TV in one bedroom. I pay £10pm extra for multiroom.

If I want an additional HD box upstairs to go with my LCD TV (as SD pics are pretty blotchy), will I have to pay an additional £10 or am I covered with existing multiroom payment, and will I also have to pay a further £10 for HD facility?

dwhite

Distinguished Member
For multiroom its £10 pm per additional box. However the multiroom subcription does not cover the HD Mix, so its also another £10 pm per additional HD box.

So if you add an extra HD box, it would be £20 p.m extra.

Crem Royale

Standard Member
Yeah, mine breaks down to:

Sky World £47
Multiroom £10
HD box 1 £10
HD box 2 £10

plus BB and phone.

And no amount of attempted haggling got me anywhere. Although one nice scottish lady thought it was hilarious. :rolleyes:

MikeNolan

Novice Member
My fears realised - think I'll stick with HD downstairs, and use my LCD for watching good old loud action DVD movies that my wife doesn't like, upstairs.

Jaycee Dove

And unfortunately whilst Sky can persuade people to pay it they will go on doing it.

If you look back at the many posts on this issue since 2006 you will find that even Sky workers and dealers were shocked that they bent their own rules to make the HD mix the only mix you do not get duplicated if you pay for multiroom. Paying twice for HD is an obvious faux pas but Sky consider HD a premium product and that people are willing to pay what it takes.

And seemingly they are right.

Until that mind set changes and they start losing multiroom upgrades because some customers decline to pay double for HD that way then Sky are not going to turn down the money.

Although your primary box HD card in the multiroom HD box can decode all the HD channels bar movies and sport on a temporary basis. Obviously no more than a short term now and then solution.

And you can only buy an HD box via Sky if you pay the second HD sub as they consider the sub to offest the subsidy to reduce box prices.

If you buy elsewhere it is a bit dearer but you are not tied to the second HD sub,

Last edited:

WATTS

And unfortunately whilst Sky can persuade people to pay it they will go on doing it.

If you look back at the many posts on this issue since 2006 you will find that even Sky workers and dealers were shocked that they bent their own rules to make the HD mix the only mix you do not get duplicated if you pay for multiroom. Paying twice for HD is an obvious faux pas but Sky consider HD a premium product and that people are willing to pay what it takes.

And seemingly they are right.

Until that mind set changes and they start losing multiroom upgrades because some customers decline to pay double for HD that way then Sky are not going to turn down the money.

Although your primary box HD card in the multiroom HD box can decode all the HD channels bar movies and sport on a temporary basis. Obviously no more than a short term now and then solution.

And you can only buy an HD box via Sky if you pay the second HD sub as they consider the sub to offest the subsidy to reduce box prices.

If you buy elsewhere it is a bit dearer but you are not tied to the second HD sub,

You made an excellent point! :smashin:

However you can cancel your HD subscription on your 'out of contact' old HD box if you order a new HD box though and only end up paying for 1 HD sub. ;)

Ive just ordered my second HD box and i will be moving the old thomson box upstairs and cancelling off that HD subscription and having the new pace HD box downtairs on the new 12 month hd sub mandatory contract.
I do not believe its fair of Sky to charge double for the same subscription and at least i can watch BBC HD upstairs (without the HD subscription on that box).
As i got the new HD box for the same price as a Sky+ one it was a no brainer really and at least i have a secondary HD box ready and waiting for the day Sky Announce only 1 HD sub required for all HD boxes! ;)

Last edited:

The latest video from AVForums

Guardians of the Galaxy Xmas Special, Strange World, Bones and All, and Cabinet of Dr Caligari in 4K
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom