SKY HD Multi room

Discussion in 'Sky Digital TV Forum' started by highbury, Jan 21, 2008.

1. highbury

highbury

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    I have a question - more rhetorical I guess rather than actually needing an answer.. I currently have SKY HD, pay £50-odd a month. Have ben thinking about going multi-room HD as digital in the other rooms is.. well.. rubbish!

So, just been on SKY website - £199 for another HD box - fair enough. £100 quid less that original box. £10 for multiroom - OK - I can live with that BUT another £10 per month for a HD subsciption I already have??!! Is this right??

OK so £10 isn't a massive deal a month, it's the principal! £70+ a month to watch TV!?

Think I need to start up a satelite tv broadcasting company! Plenty of money in it and I tihnk those money grabbing tosspots at SKY need the competition!

rant over..

Thanks

2. Starburst

Starburst

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +975
    SKY still consider the price they offer as being subsidised by the £10 a month HD sub so a second box still needs the sub so they don't lose money.

I don't think you'll find anyone who thinks this is a sensible choice by SKY especially well into it's second year and boxes can be bought a years sub factored in at lower price points than the £299 launch price alone.

Nothing stopping you getting a box elsewhere and using it just for FTA/FTV HD and the multiroom will provide the SD and SKY+ aspect of your subscription. Sooner or later the extra fee will be dropped perhaps if they feel some pressure when Freesat can off the same "free" HD lineup.

3. WATTS

WATTS

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +50
    You want to try paying over £100 a month to Sky as that leaves a sour feeling in your throat i can tell you.

I have 3 multirooms for the kids and a HD subscription as well as broadband/phone etc.

I too wanted another HD box in my bedroom but no way i was paying another £10 for it so i went with a Sky+ box!

Ideally if you want multiroom they should only charge you the one £10 (no matter how many boxes) and they should scrap the HD subscription totally.

However nice this would be i dont see it happening and is probably one of the reasons in 3 months i will be looking to downgrade /cancell my subs / multiroom as its financially ruining me to pay over the odds for my setup.

Thanks (my rant over) :D

Cheers!

4. loz

loz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,787
    I have a 2nd HD box with mirror sub, but I refuse to pay the extra £10 HD sub for the 2nd box. OK £10 isn't much, but it's the principle... it's just greedy IMHO.

I make do with BBC and C4 HD on the 2nd box - and anyway, I can watch HD in my lounge where I have a bigger display anyway :smashin:

5. Jaycee Dove

Jaycee Dove

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +172
    We have a second multiroom HD box and will not pay Sky a second £10 pm on principle.

It really is unjustifiable to charge it but if people pay up they will keep on charging. The only way to make them see sense is to say NO!

Our second box was bought from an indepedent shop and cost the same price as Sky charge (£199) but does not impose the payment of the second £10 pm rip off.

Also, if you did not realise this, you can use your main Sky HD box card in your multiroom HD box and watch all HD channels except the movies and sport there without the second sub.

Obviously it partially disables the main HD box for the duration of the switch, but if you just want to watch HD in the bedroom with nobody then in the main room wanting to watch HD, it is a reasonable stopgap option until Sky play fair.

6. ColdKilla

ColdKilla

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +19
    Likewise even with 2 HD boxes and multiroom I refuse to pay for HD twice! Infact I find it hard to justify paying for it once but that is a whole different argument!

CK

7. mitchec1

mitchec1
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,083
    I've got 2 HD boxes and refuse to pay the 2nd HD sub.

It's a good job the missus pays the Sky bill, but the 2nd £10 is still a bone of contention.

8. OllyH

OllyH
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12
    I also have two HD boxes and refuse to pay the extra £10 per month for my 2nd box.