SKY HD muck up and miss the opening England Goal

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tfish

Established Member
Reaction score
DISGRACE

ITV HD cut to adverts during the first england attack then black screened for 90 seconds then came back on when the team where celebrating a goal.

Hell on tomorrow in the papers i bet.

Shocking publicity for an already slated channel.

Was a yank in control of the buttons?

Last edited:
Also now it is not HD - just up scaled SD so obviously lost the HD feed - they should not have the rights to show games of this importance they are bloody useless

its got to have been on purpose

lets just hope no one got hurt i bet theres being loads of trouble in pubs and stuff with the pub getting the blame for losing signal

Last edited:
SKY HD muck up and miss the opening England Goal

Er, I think you mean ITV HD muck up.

I'm not a football fan ... but I'm pretty sure the World Cup isn't on Sky Sports.

Blaming Sky for that mess-up would be akin to blaming Sony (or whoever made your TV !).

As a general point, even as a disinterested observer, it does seem beyond belief that ITV can make such a howler. I was reading the BBC Blog and they were saying that there was a lock down on the system preventing any changes in the transmission chain for some time before the World Cup starts ... just to be absolutely sure of not creating some sort of technical hitch. That sounds like the professional way to do it.

Regards

Anything that is live or critical should have some sort of change management process. Everything should be locked and out of reach of any changes. I can understand losing the HD feed and then an auto switch to SD. Its just done that back from SD to HD oddly enough so at least we are back in HD.

But someone made it go to adverts and to miss a goal aswell is just bad luck. Im so angry, I know not everyone likes football but those of us who are have been waiting months for today, you could say 2 years including the qualifying. It could be that we missed the only goal of the game.

Switched back to HD now

And back to sd..........should itv be trusted?

I was fuming! Just rang sky to cancel sky HD - they explained that it was ITV at fault so I explained that I only pay sky for my tv viewing. Anyway, I ended up being offered a £10 refund for this months HD subscription plus a 20% discount for the next 6 months for my whole sky tv package.
Give 'em a ring and tell them how p****d off you are. Don't take any crap and you should get a decent %reduction :)

I was fuming! Just rang sky to cancel sky HD - they explained that it was ITV at fault so I explained that I only pay sky for my tv viewing. Anyway, I ended up being offered a £10 refund for this months HD subscription plus a 20% discount for the next 6 months for my whole sky tv package.
Give 'em a ring and tell them how p****d off you are. Don't take any crap and you should get a decent %reduction :)
ITV strike again. I'm not an England fan but I can empathise with the disappointment at missing the goal. I do however really look forward to and enjoy the world cup.

ITV are useless. The game is on in the other room and it is not HD!

I think that there should be an emergency ruling by the broadcasting ombudsman or whatever, to take away ITV's right to broadcast sport in HD and hand it over to BBC or SKY sports immediately!

Yeah right.…

Yeah right.…

???
Yeah. Just telling you how it happened. The guy at sky said they were inundated with calls. I said I wanted to cancel my HD subscription and was offered 20% off the next 3 months full sky subscription. I refused and insisted I wanted to cancel, so I was then offered 6 months plus £10 refund for this months HD subscription.
I don't care WHO'S at fault - I pay SKY a lot of money for thier service. If they have a problem with ITV then it's up to them to address the problem with ITV. Just don't try & fob me off with excuses!
Oh, and by the way - anyone who thinks that this wasn't deliberate, bear this in mind - ITV did exactly the same thing when Liverpool played everton last year. Everton scored in the 118th minute to win and ITV switched to an advert and missed the goal. I mean, have you EVER seen this happen before!?
And just another note - some bookies were offering 8/1 on ITV showing an advert in the middle of any match in this years world cup following last years Liverpool v everton cock-up. So..... ITV go and do it again! A co-incidence? I think not. I think they need to review who they put in charge of the 'press this to show an advert' button.......OR make sure employees can't place bets on this kind of stuff... ;-)
Let's hope they're not in charge of the floodlights too...

Last edited:
it's beyond me why people are phoning Sky, ITV cocked up big time not sky.

Sky are years ahead when it comes to screening HD football in live broadcast.

Now if I worked at Sky and you phoned up demanding to be compensated for something completely outwith Sky's control that you DON'T PAY A SUBSCRIPTION FOR IN THE FIRST PLACE, I'd quite happily tell you to jog on (maybe not quite using those words) and process your cancellation for you.

If I were Sky i'd equally tell you to go away without any disrespect. I've got SKY HD but watched the game through freeview HD and my aerial. I had the same problem. It was nothing whatsoever to do with Sky. Whether you have Freesat, Sky HD , Virgin HD Freeview HD made ZERO difference. It was a royal ITV cock up. If you dont want to pay for your HD get freeview hd. Brilliant.

I noticed that halfway through the game the HD feed came back. This was noticeable as it brought up the ITV HD logo. Everything was crystal. This lasted 20 mins, a quick crackling sound and it went back to upscaled SD. ITVHD should LOSE the right to play the footie. Such a MASSIVE game and they cock up so badly.

Adrian Chiles was a decent presenter but why on earth Keegan the loser who walked out on England is sat there i dont know. Also was it me or did Capello make zero sense when he spoke post match.

???
Yeah. Just telling you how it happened. The guy at sky said they were inundated with calls. I said I wanted to cancel my HD subscription and was offered 20% off the next 3 months full sky subscription. I refused and insisted I wanted to cancel, so I was then offered 6 months plus £10 refund for this months HD subscription.
I don't care WHO'S at fault - I pay SKY a lot of money for thier service. If they have a problem with ITV then it's up to them to address the problem with ITV. Just don't try & fob me off with excuses!
Oh, and by the way - anyone who thinks that this wasn't deliberate, bear this in mind - ITV did exactly the same thing when Liverpool played everton last year. Everton scored in the 118th minute to win and ITV switched to an advert and missed the goal. I mean, have you EVER seen this happen before!?
And just another note - some bookies were offering 8/1 on ITV showing an advert in the middle of any match in this years world cup following last years Liverpool v everton cock-up. So..... ITV go and do it again! A co-incidence? I think not. I think they need to review who they put in charge of the 'press this to show an advert' button.......OR make sure employees can't place bets on this kind of stuff... ;-)
Let's hope they're not in charge of the floodlights too...

Why would anyone cancel their sky HD just because they missed a live goal from a rubbish game, talk about over reaction. Take your issue up with ITV HD, it was their cockup. Not a massive fan of Sky generally but technically they are streets ahead of most broadcasters when it comes to HD.

Also was it me or did Capello make zero sense when he spoke post match.

.........even less sense than Adebayor on the BBC offering earlier. Klinsman & Shearer, fine, but Adebayor just mumbles at 100 miles an hour......:facepalm:

Now if I worked at Sky and you phoned up demanding to be compensated for something completely outwith Sky's control that you DON'T PAY A SUBSCRIPTION FOR IN THE FIRST PLACE, I'd quite happily tell you to jog on (maybe not quite using those words) and process your cancellation for you.

Nobody 'demanded' anything. I just got offered a discount, which I took.
Oh, and if you did work at sky, you wouldn't tell me to 'jog on' - you'd do exactly as you were told by your manager.
I know that sky aren't responsible for ITV's balls-up, but I'm entitled to cancel any of my sky subscriptions at any time and for any reason.
I guess some people are happy to sit & receive a poor service from anyone (be it ITV or whoever) - now if this costs sky loads of £££ then they'll be demanding a response from ITV, which might just help to prevent this sort of thing happening again...

it's beyond me why people are phoning Sky, ITV cocked up big time not sky.

Sky are years ahead when it comes to screening HD football in live broadcast.

I am going to ring n-power and get a refund as it was there electricity also I might give dominos a ring as the glitch made me loose my apertite and couldn't eat more pizza. Plus I had to drink more lager to drown my sorrows so tescos should give me some more budweiser.

;-)

Thread already running on this.

Closed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom