• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

SKY HD Magic eye

I will get Sky HD when it's out, but at the moment my Sky+ box (connected to my HDTV) is also connected to my brothers TV via a wire with a magic eye. I'm assuming I can still use that, but what if I'm watching a HDTV channel? How will it appear on the SDTV.

ParmMann

Established Member
I have almost the exact same question.
I have Sky+ linked to two other TV's using the magic eye.
I also have Multiroom so I also have a standard Sky box hooked up to three other TV's using the magic eye.

I'm hoping this will all still work if I do get HD :eek:

Starburst

Distinguished Member
The SKY+ HD has a RF2 which carries a voltage so it's logical to assume that is there for use with a TVlink.
Obviously if you are viewing a HD channel then the RF output will be showing a downconverted version.

Stephen Neal

Distinguished Member
Starburst said:
The SKY+ HD has a RF2 which carries a voltage so it's logical to assume that is there for use with a TVlink.
Obviously if you are viewing a HD channel then the RF output will be showing a downconverted version.

This has been the subject of some debate. Some have posted that there will NOT be an SD dowconversion when watching HD channels - though until we see a receiver working we won't know for sure. Personally, I think not providing an HD to SD downconversion for HD channels would be a mistake - as you wouldn't be able to archive HD recordings to DVD (in SD) for example.

Starburst

Distinguished Member
True it's not perhaps sensible to make a definitive statement until we see the box in action but SKY do confirm the TVlink and confirm that a second TV connected to the HD box will display a SD picture.

Now if that means HD on the main TV and a downconverted SD feed of the same channel on the non HD outputs then all well and good and both questions in the FAQ seem to point to that and not a choice HD only or SD only across all outputs at any one time.

Cross fingers:)

mo

Established Member
parmMann,
i am just about to look into connecting up a second tv via magic eye.
could you tell me how you did it , it would be a lovely favour and save me time.

thanks in advance

Stephen Neal

Distinguished Member
Starburst said:
True it's not perhaps sensible to make a definitive statement until we see the box in action but SKY do confirm the TVlink and confirm that a second TV connected to the HD box will display a SD picture.

Now if that means HD on the main TV and a downconverted SD feed of the same channel on the non HD outputs then all well and good and both questions in the FAQ seem to point to that and not a choice HD only or SD only across all outputs at any one time.

Cross fingers:)

Indeed - that would also model how most US set top boxes work I believe. (They usually offer component/HDMI HD outputs, but 480i SD composite / s-video outputs simultaneously)

ParmMann

Established Member
mo said:
parmMann,
i am just about to look into connecting up a second tv via magic eye.
could you tell me how you did it , it would be a lovely favour and save me time.

thanks in advance
Hi Mo,

I didn't actually setup mine myself, I had the aerial people do it for me. As I was moving into a new house, the aerials and everything had to be installed so I got them to wire everything up.
However! I can tell you the basis of what they've done.
The Sky+ box is downstairs, the second output from the box goes through the wall, up the outside of the house, and into the loft. In the loft we have a booster box, the Sky cable plugs into that. The booster box then has 8 outputs which can be connected to different TV's/Aerial Sockets.
One cable from the booster box runs into my bedrooms aerial socket. I then have the aerial from the wall connected to the magic eye, which connects to the TV. This allows me to change channels in my room.

Sorry I couldn't be a bit more detailed on how to do it, as I didn't set mine up, I only know the general setup. I hope thats enough to get you started, and I'm sure a lot of the users on this forum will be able to help you further should you need it.
Good luck with your setup! :)

mo

Established Member
parmMann,

thanks for coming back to me.
i fully understand the way it was done.
this way you can use sky in addition bedrooms via the magic eye.
its a good way of doing it.
i thought you had two tvs, two magic eyes off the one sky+ box.
thats what i am looking to do, i'm sure its possible , but i like the way you've done it.

camobuoy

Standard Member
Hi i have just upgraded to sky + and had a magic eye working before the sky + was installed, upon the installation of the sky + the magic eye worked fine for a few weeks now it has stopped working, has any one got any answers?

monsta45

Standard Member
hi my folks keep having this problem, sometimes its to do with having the Standby on Auto on the box, or just try re-terminating the ends on the aerial cable, you need the red light on the eye RF unit, if any of the little strands are touching the centre core it wont work, also have you looked to see if RF power is on?

rowdybeans

Standard Member
Hi i have just upgraded to sky + and had a magic eye working before the sky + was installed, upon the installation of the sky + the magic eye worked fine for a few weeks now it has stopped working, has any one got any answers?
I got this problem, and just went in to the menu and switched it off and on again! Works fine now.

The latest video from AVForums

Spielberg, Shyamalan, Aronofsky, Chazelle, Eddie Murphy and Mel Gibson - all the latest movies
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom