Sky HD lots of noise and grain

steve0

Banned
Whats with all the noise and grain on sky HD, mainly Sky one HD and the movie channels certain sceens look like pirate video, it really is becoming annoying the quality appears to be getting worse. Is it the sourse material or are sky ripping us off yet again with their advertised crystal clear picture and sound

Starburst

Distinguished Member
Got some specific examples?

HD movies are only going to be as good as the master they were created from and right now the vast majority (even those used for HD-DVD and Blu-ray) will not be brand new cleaned prints.
Certain SKY1 HD shows do show grain but a lot of the time this is either allowed for by the producers or artifically applied in post for effect and the use of HD video cameras is still fairly new and just like any technology there are still some weak areas especially with dark scenes and scenes with high contrast lighting. The producers of SG1 and Atlantis remarked that their second generation HD cameras were significantly improved over the first cameras they used.

Having said that broadcast bitrates and actual realtime encoding (which SKY are responsible for) will also play their part and we've seen hdd useage vary wildly and that must have an effect but I suspect thay is secondary to the wide variety of displays and setups people are watching HD on.

It's very common to have a thread about a particular event/programme and have totally conflicting opinions on the picture quality:)

spurs09

steve0 said:
Whats with all the noise and grain on sky HD, mainly Sky one HD and the movie channels certain sceens look like pirate video, it really is becoming annoying the quality appears to be getting worse. Is it the sourse material or are sky ripping us off yet again with their advertised crystal clear picture and sound

All fine with me just watched a couple of Hades Factor's looked very good indeed.

Ultra2man

Whilst there is varying pq between diferent HD material I wonder how much of it is down to your screens setup.
Unfortunately you can not just plug the HDMI/component leads in and expect to get a good picture. You are going to have to play around with the picture settings on your display. Getting the contrast and brightness settings correct are the most important as is turning off/down a lot of the picture enhancement modes as these can greate some horrible artifacts.
Ideally there would be some sort of test page on Sky that you could use, but as there is not it will be a case of trial and error.

steve0

Banned
My hd dvd player and normal dvd player give me great picture quality, suppose Ive been spoilt by my HD DVD player picture and sound are perfect all the time

Starburst

Distinguished Member
Well it's a given that pre-recorded media will always outperform broadcast media, it happens with DVD and SD digital and since the basic idea of compressed digital still applies with HD it will also happen with HD-DVD.

The latest video from AVForums

Star Wars Andor, Woman King, more Star Trek 4K, Rings of Power & the latest TV, movies & 4K releases
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom