Sky + HD loss of signal. Offered Sky Q.

IanY

Novice Member
We have had Sky +HD Multiroom for some time without any problems ( adult daughter lives at home with her own bedsit room, which is why we have Multiroom which means that her set up is completely independent from the living room). Recently the main Sky box in the living room has been losing a satellite signal. At first the usual fixes remedied this but recently the signal loss has become more frequent and more difficult to remedy. (The other other set in daughter’s room is unaffected and still working perfectly.) We tried substituting our Sky+HD box in the living room with a borrowed Sky+HD box but this has not helped.
We contacted Sky yesterday regarding this problem. They suggested that as the problem was not resolved by changing boxes the cause was probably the LNB or the associated cabling. ( we had already thought that this may be the case. ) We were initially discussing having the LNB etc. checked by a Sky engineer but during a lengthy conversation we were offered ( due to our long association with Sky ) ( almost 30 years ) Sky Q with one mini box free of any charge. I accepted this and fitting is due on 5th August.
BUT, having read various posts about the shortcomings with Sky Q Multiroom, especially the shared planner and mini box frequent drop outs, I’m seriously considering cancelling the agreement and simply having the LNB etc. checked first, before deciding on any other changes.
On the comments I have seen it would appear that the Sky+ HD system is still the better of the two systems.
Opinions would be appreciated please?

rs101

I've had Q pretty much since the beginning (was the 1st non-Sky broadband install for the engineers who came out). First 6 months or so weren't great - it was definitely released before it was ready - but it's been rock solid for me. More stable than my Sky+HD box was.
Never had any issues with wifi, but I needed cat 5 in the kitchen for something else, so hard wired that mini too.

I'm now using a v2 main box with 2 minis (both ethernet connected) and most definitely wouldn't go back to Sky+HD (I use it regularly at a relatives and find that interface slow and clunky by comparison).

Don't use NetFlix, iPlayer or YouTube much on the main box as the TV already has apps for those, but use them a lot on the kitchen and office TVs as they don't.

The only reason I'd suggest you not upgrading is the shared planner - you may not want to share recordings with your daughter. Sky have said they're working on profiles of some sort, to allow users to separate recordings, but haven't heard any more about that for quite a while..

paulyoung666

Distinguished Member
I’ve just got rid of sky q for cost reasons , it’s very good but couldn’t justify the frankly ridiculous cost of it £70 / month without broadband 😳 , out of curiosity , how much will you be paying for what if you swap ?

JayCee

Distinguished Member
I've had Sky Q for 18 months, I had Sky+HD and like you was a long-time Sky customer.
I replaced my TV and wanted a 4K source so changed to a Sky Q 2TB box and (for the 1st time ever) added Multiroom with a Q Mini in my daughter’s bedroom.
Both boxes have been rock solid with no dropouts on the Mini or any other problems.
I pay Sky £43.50 pm for my package which is Q Multiroom with Sky Cinema, HD/UHD, box sets and Netflix premium. Sky Go Extra is also included. My broadband is with BT.
I'm a field service technician for a national company and visit 2/3 customers in their homes each day most of whom have Sky or Virgin Media cable.
The overall impression I get from those who have changed from Sky+HD to Sky Q is they are pleased with Q and much prefer it to the old box.
Also, the vast majority are trouble-free.
By the sounds of it the only thing you need to be concerned about is the shared planner if that matters.
This forum only has a tiny proportion of Sky Q subscribers, and they come here if they have a problem.
There are millions of Sky Q subscribers with no problems and It has been a runaway success.

dts

Distinguished Member
I had sky Q in September 2016...it was a very flaky service when first launched and got rid of it a year later....went back to sky +HD but just had the sky +HD box with a magic eye(I asked for a hybrid lnb before I upgraded to Q) I then got a really good offer for going back to Q I January this year,it was fitted with two mini boxes and its been a massive improvement since it first launched...Dolby atmos,more uhd content and now hlg would never go back to sky HD now.

IanY

Novice Member
I’ve just spoken to Sky again and cancelled the Q installation. They tried hard to convince me to take Q, stating that +HD was now obsolete and asked for my reasons. I cited the “shared planner” and the inferior picture quality on the mini Q box and that I would reconsider if/when Sky resolved those issues. I have booked an engineer to attend to check the dish, LNB and feed to our main living room and supply a refurbished +HD box.
In my OP I mentioned that we had substituted our +HD box with a known good box with which we also had problems but we had managed to work around them. When we installed the substitute box we had coupled our viewing card to it. Curiously, after speaking to Sky on Sunday and opting for SkyQ the substitute box could not recognise our viewing card and “settings” “system details” showed “no card”. I discussed this whilst on the call to Sky today and after being guided through two attempts and Sky confirming that they had cancelled the Q installation, the box recognised our card again. Curious. The engineer and refurbished box is costing £65.00.
Thank you for your replies.

Last edited:

IanY

Novice Member
Sky engineer attended this morning. He could not have been more helpful or pleasant, a really nice person. He has replaced the dish complete with the LNB and installed a refurbished +HD box. Fortunately, just prior to him leaving, the Viewing Card warning popped up again so we now have a new Viewing Card.

TavenerN

Novice Member
We have had Sky +HD Multiroom for some time without any problems ( adult daughter lives at home with her own bedsit room, which is why we have Multiroom which means that her set up is completely independent from the living room). Recently the main Sky box in the living room has been losing a satellite signal. At first the usual fixes remedied this but recently the signal loss has become more frequent and more difficult to remedy. (The other other set in daughter’s room is unaffected and still working perfectly.) We tried substituting our Sky+HD box in the living room with a borrowed Sky+HD box but this has not helped.
We contacted Sky yesterday regarding this problem. They suggested that as the problem was not resolved by changing boxes the cause was probably the LNB or the associated cabling. ( we had already thought that this may be the case. ) We were initially discussing having the LNB etc. checked by a Sky engineer but during a lengthy conversation we were offered ( due to our long association with Sky ) ( almost 30 years ) Sky Q with one mini box free of any charge. I accepted this and fitting is due on 5th August.
BUT, having read various posts about the shortcomings with Sky Q Multiroom, especially the shared planner and mini box frequent drop outs, I’m seriously considering cancelling the agreement and simply having the LNB etc. checked first, before deciding on any other changes.
On the comments I have seen it would appear that the Sky+ HD system is still the better of the two systems.
Opinions would be appreciated please?

Hi, funny you should say your main box suddenly starts playing up, we’ve got or shall I say had Sky+ downstairs with multiroom for my adult daughter upstairs. The main box loss signal completely 3 weeks ago and like you had been offered SkyQ with a mini box, had it installed today and without reading much on it, didn’t know about the shared planner, if sky bring out profiles that will top it off but right now it’s a massive pain when my daughter records “Love Island” and me “Emmerdale” and it’s on each others boxes!
Does anyone know if I delete a recording on the main box will it stay on the Q mini box?
Any help appreciated

JayCee

Distinguished Member
No, if you delete it from the main box it's no longer available on the mini box.
All recordings are done on the main box and streamed from that to the mini, there is no HDD on the mini boxes.
You'll get used to the shared planner.

ChuckMountain

Distinguished Member
I cited the “shared planner” and the inferior picture quality on the mini Q box and that I would reconsider if/when Sky resolved those issues.

What inferior picture, it's not inferior it can quite happily output at 1080p which is better than SkyHD. The only thing that is better is Sky Q in full 4K which Sky HD could not do anyway.

rs101

What inferior picture, it's not inferior it can quite happily output at 1080p which is better than SkyHD. The only thing that is better is Sky Q in full 4K which Sky HD could not do anyway.
1080p is pointless for Sky content though - all their HD downloads and broadcast are 1080i. They have to be, to be playable on Sky+HD

ChuckMountain

Distinguished Member
1080p is pointless for Sky content though - all their HD downloads and broadcast are 1080i. They have to be, to be playable on Sky+HD

Their transmitted pictures yes, but the menus and apps can quite happily run at 1080p. Either way though the picture quality is not inferior to sky HD, which was more my point.

Last edited:

IanY

Novice Member
Sky engineer attended this morning. He could not have been more helpful or pleasant, a really nice person. He has replaced the dish complete with the LNB and installed a refurbished +HD box. Fortunately, just prior to him leaving, the Viewing Card warning popped up again so we now have a new Viewing Card.

Further to the above installation.
At the time of the original fault the multiroom second Sky+ box in our daughter’s room was unaffected and operating normally. Since the installation everything has operated correctly until a week ago when daughter reported that her system had lost all the subscription channels. ( only the free channels available ). She tried the usual “fixes” without success.
We telephoned Sky to report this. After listening to our explanation of the problem the Sky agent commented that we had recently cancelled the proposed SkyQ installation and asked why. We advised him that we did not want shared recordings and that we were satisfied with our refurbished Sky+HD box. He accepted this explanation without further trying to persuade us. He instructed us to power down the offending Sky+HD box and put us on “hold” for several minutes. He then instructed us to power up the box and put us on “hold” for a few more minutes. During this ”hold“ the box initialised and lo and behold, the subscription channels had returned. He then came back online and asked us if all was now in order, which, of course, it was.
I find it very curious that this should occur so soon after our original problem and our refusal to subscribe to SkyQ and then be so easily remedied after contacting Sky.

JayCee

Distinguished Member
There's nothing to be curious about.
Sky obviously thought you still had Sky Q and they had disabled your old HD boxes on their system.
They then enabled them after hearing your explanation.

IanY

Novice Member
Sorry JayCee, I cannot agree. Two weeks after they had cancelled the proposed SkyQ installation and an operative had fitted a new dish and LNB and installed a refurbished Sky+HD box at our main TV, and amended our plan and the refurbished box had been in service for two weeks, then the second box of the multiroom system happens to lose some channels. Call me cynical, but it’s a curious coincidence or someone mucked up.
No matter, I’ll leave it at that.

leasty

Not unusual. I had two Sky HD boxes when I upgraded to Sky Q. The second HD box continued to work for about 10 days after the upgrade until the second viewing card was cancelled. Sky don't cancel the old viewing cards until a few days after new one(s) are shipped out. I suspect Sky just failed to stop the cease on your second viewing card. It then just needed re-activating.

IanY

Novice Member
leasty. That’s a reasonable explanation thanks. The refurbished box required a new viewing card when installed but the second box did not.

IanY

Novice Member
It’s happened again. Daughter’s Digibox lost all subscription channels two days ago. We telephoned Sky this morning regarding this. During our conversation their agent commented that their records showed that SkyQ was still showing on my account as “pending”. I advised him in forthright terms that it should be showing as cancelled, not pending, as I did not want it and would they please stop messing with our channels. He advised that he would refer that to the appropriate department. He then asked us to access settings to verify the viewing card number, which we did, and then, lo and behold, we had the channels back.

IanY

Novice Member
So it’s happened again last week. All daughter’s subscription channels lost.
Another telephone call to Sky on 20th August. After explaining the problem I asked what my record showed regarding SkyQ and was informed that it did now show cancelled. I commented that we were not pleased regarding this state of affairs and expected it to be rectified so that it did not happen again. The agent asked for the usual checks in “settings” to confirm the Viewing Card number then asked if we had received a new Viewing Card by post. I informed him that we had not received one and there had never been any discussion regarding replacing the Viewing Card. He did not indicate whether or not a new card would be sent. Subscription channels then became available again.
The following day I received an email from Sky advising that my complaint, reference 1471060440, had been rectified and now closed. That’s the first time that has happened.

TJT1

Ah, so some ijit turned it off at their end and they turned it back on then?

IanY

Novice Member
So it has happened again. Last Wednesday, 26th so telephone call to Sky on the 27th.
This time the agent didn't even ask us to access "settings" to confirm our Viewing Card number.
The missing channels were reinstated whilst we were talking.
The agent advised that he has checked my record and found that since the SkyQ offer and subsequent cancellation it appears that in August the "accounts" department have stopped taking the "Multiroom" element of my monthly payment so the channels were removed but he did confirm that I had been charged for the engineer visit to replace the LNB and dish and install the refurbished Sky+ HD box.
He advised that he was sending a query regarding this to the relevant department to resolve the situation.
Sky accounts took my payment for the engineer etc. in relation to my Sky+ HD but were apparently unable to realise that I still wanted Multiroom. I had noticed that my August Sky payment had increased but had assumed that this was in relation to the engineer visit etc. and had not drilled down into it to ascertain exactly what I had been charged for. I shall await developements.

IanY

Novice Member
So the multiroom subscription channels were lost again on Thursday 3 September.
Telephoned Sky as soon as practicable on Saturday 5 September.
Explained situation to the agent and subscription channels were immediately re-instated.
At my request the agent checked my record and found that the the query which the previous agent had said would be sent to accounts had not in fact been sent. ( see above post dated 30 August. ) She undertook to send another query there and then and confirmed that it had gone through. She also advised that she would keep me updated by text regarding progress and any further developments.
Maybe this time it will be resolved.

The latest video from AVForums

Maverick UK Premiere IMAX Review + Top Gun, Tom Cruise, Tony Scott and 4K + Movie/TV News
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Latest News

What's new on UK streaming services for June 2022
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
LG UltraGear Gaming Monitors get VESA certification
  • By Ian Collen
  • Published
Sony confirms UK pricing for A90K and A75K Bravia XR 4K OLED TVs
  • By Ian Collen
  • Published
LG announces new CineBeam HU915QE 4K laser projector