Sky+HD losing reception on some HD channels only!

Discussion in 'Sky Digital TV Forum' started by Marshy747, Jan 10, 2012.

1. Marshy747

Marshy747
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi guys hope you can help with a problem my daughter has with her Sky+HD box, she recently moved into a new flat which has a communal dish in the loft, she had Sky+HD installed which worked fine for a couple of weeks but now has started doing some very strange things which I cant get my head round!

For some reason it will loose reception on some HD channels ONLY (Sky1 HD, Atlantic HD, LivingHD, DaveHD + several more) after about 10-30 mins, if you check the signal/lock strength you will have lost one receiver, sounds straight forward however if you change channel to any SD one it will display fine and the signal/lock will return, switch back to the HD channel you were trying to watch and the reception strength/lock will have gone again, now while you have no signal/lock and a recording starts without doing anything the lostHD channel will return. Obviously this leads to loads of failed recordings but only HD channels, some but not many HD channels will be fine namely BBC1 HD, BBC HD, ITV HD ,C4HD etc.

If you only use the SD channels it will work perfectly, Also over Christmas she came home and bought her receiver box home for me to test on our dish and all seemed to work fine so i'm leaning toward the communal dish, but Sky will have nothing to do with it obviously, the flat management company keep passing the buck and say they'll look at the dish but if they say it's OK they'll charge her something like £149, also she's the only one with Sky in her flats so we can't ask the neighbours if theirs is Ok.

So I ask if anyone in the know can explain this weird problem and whether a communal dish could cause this, for the record it's an Amstrad box and reception strength/lock is very good when working so why does it only loose these certain HD channels.

Thanks in advance for any help:)

Last edited: Jan 10, 2012
  2. w3dal

w3dal

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +590
    For the sake of a couple of quid I would replace the cable which goes from the box to the wall plate - but also take the wall plate off to make sure all is nice and tight.

If the box works ok at your place - next step would be to check the twin cable to the wall plate.

Does your daughter have twin feeds into the flat or a single?

Dal

3. MartinPickering

MartinPickering

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +507
    Last edited: Jan 11, 2012
  4. Marshy747

Marshy747
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the info guys, I'll get some leads to connect to the wall plate (there are 2) and have a look inside it, I could understand this may be the issue if it lost signal completely but as I said it'll come back just by flicking up or down a channel but worth a shot I suppose, thanks for the link to the other thred, I'll have a read.

5. tmcg

tmcg

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Recently had installed a new sky hd box as my old c2006 box was having issues.
    The new box loses signals but only on BBC channels plus others that broadcast on the same freeview transponder (that may be a coincidence and totally irrelevent). Another thing is that it seems to happen at the same time every time it looses signal (5.30-6.00pm) and its not every day.
    A quick unplug from the mains cures the problem.
    As the satellite cable is the same as with the old box (and that was not one of its problems!), I dont think its a cable issue.
    So I am going to try a planner rebuild, if that doesnt work I will be burning the phone lines to Sky (joy).

6. logiciel

logiciel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,729
    What is a "freeview transponder"?:confused:

7. yipyipboo

yipyipboo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    Just installed on friday a second skyhd box to replace an old sky+ one which after two days has started doing the same thing as the op described.

We have multiroom and never had any issues with signal levels and the new box installed ok.

SD channels all work fine and the signal levels are both ok, but if I then select any hd channel the no signal message appears and the input 1 level is no more. I have remade the cables, swapped feeds and all the other obvious things.

I'll contact sky tomorrow to see what they say.

8. youngpip

youngpip

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    I had a similar issue recently, turned out my neighbour had just installed Sky and the engineer put their dish in line-of-sight of mine and blocked the signal!

9. Tight Git

Tight Git

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +597
    Which is precisely why he wasn't an engineer! :facepalm:

(Beat Logi to it! :D )

10. yipyipboo

yipyipboo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    Quick update... Two sky guys arrived yesterday, checked signal levels which were ok, replaced the two coax cables to the box from the outlet and then replaced the box with another new one as it was still playing up even after forced updates.

So far, so good :)