SKY HD Launch Date & Price

Discussion in 'Sky Digital TV Forum' started by mremulator, Nov 2, 2005.

1. mremulator

mremulator

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +67
    Apparently Sky will launch it's new HD service on February 14th 2006! :clap:
    The new HD receiver will cost £499 and there will be an extra charge of £10 for the high definition channels on top of the normal Sky subscription.

I have this on good authority, otherwise I would not be mentioning it. Cough cough... friend at Sky :devil:

2. Starburst

Starburst

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +975
    Does your "friend" who I hope isn't a cleaner or heaven forbid a CS rep have any word on install costs?

As speculation/rumour it's as good as any though:)

3. Beertiger

Beertiger
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    £500, jeez that's even more of a rip off than the specualted ripp off price of £400. Plus an extra £10 a month! While I would love it purely for the football I'm sure they'll be doing deals quicker than you can say "but I already pay for Sky Sports and now I have to pay more for Prem Plus, rip off merchants"

4. ColdKilla

ColdKilla

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +19
    Just in time to watch Liverpool Vs Arsenal on Valentine's night!!

How romantic :)

CK

5. mremulator

mremulator

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +67
    I did not ask about special offers or how much it will cost new subscribers. All I know is that in addition to high def, the receiver will output standard def material via the HDMI socket, and will look better than regular Sky due to the digital signal not having to be converted back to analogue. The box apparently will retail for £499.

What's to say the launch may not be put back anyway? But at least for now, Valentines day... apparently. That's all I know.

6. Tejstar

Tejstar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,157
    £500 for the box!! i thought £400 was bad. :eek:

I'll definitely be waiting until the prices come down... a lot!

7. gazzaman

gazzaman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    What exactly does £500 quid get me. If its 160 gig drive and a pretty picture,
    then i won't be coughing i will be bloody spewing :thumbsdow

8. Caimbeul

Caimbeul

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25
    At £500 Sky can go jump. £300 would have been pushing it. Looks like I will be playing HD on my set with a HD-DVD/Blu Ray before buying that over priced peice of pap. Well perhaps thats not entirely fair, its probably not pap but its sure over-priced.

Look at how advanced the PS3/ X360 is both able to do HD and much more (PS3 can decode up 18 HD streams if rumours are to be believed - and memory serves) yet both machines cost less AND! dont charge £10 per month to own them. :lesson:

Sorry Sky if this is the case you have lost at least 1x potential HD customer. Why price yourselves out of the reach of most people?? :confused: :suicide: :suicide:

9. Starburst

Starburst

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +975
    No need to panic until we see something official until then with all the good will in the world we have seen read many "rumours" that claimed to have come from inside sources which may have indeed been true but who says the source actually is correct about anything.
    Five hundred is a little high but we don't know how much the PACE HD hard drive equipped STB is going to cost so it's difficult to know if it's a blatent rip off or actually fairly representative of the price for a new product line.

Still, £500 is enough to put the fright into anyone who missed Halloween:)

10. jibberjabber

jibberjabber
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    just a thought who's worrying now if Sky HD will display properly on any HDTV ready sets coz they have not yet realesed specs nor commited to either, i aint not at that price jeeezzz £499.00 for the box there having a laugh. :thumbsdow

11. Starburst

Starburst

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +975

It's a mistake to compare a Dsat HD receiver with HDD recording to two unreleased consoles neither of which will receive broadcast HD and one of which only comes with a standard DVD drive!

Both consoles will be sold at a loss and sell hundreds of millions of units, even in the best case scenario SKY+ HD will sell fewer units in it's entire life than any of those two consoles will in the first week after launch:)

The economics of scale and the revenue from ongoing sales of software make a price comparison between consoles and any other consumer product such as a cutting edge STB a rather long stretch.

12. golden phoenix

golden phoenix
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,050
    just wondering whether there will be a trade in price for existing sky + owners!! :rotfl:

13. Starburst

Starburst

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +975

SKY have said they will use 720p for sport and 1080i is an option for other content, third party broadcaster are free to use either.
    HDMI will be the preferred method but HD will be allowed over compenent for SKY's own broadcasts, the basics required to guide a potential viewer towards a suitable TV have been around for a long time.

Actually specs both hardware and content will be released when the product/service is marketed to the public which makes leaks be they genuine or bogus nothing more than a talking point or ranting opportunity as they case may be:)

14. StooMonster

StooMonster

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +314
    Perfect example of internet exageration and why one should not believe rumours on the net, not your fault if you read this elsewhere, but Ken Kutaragi (boss of Sony Computer Entertainment) said at Tokyo International Digital Conference last week that one cell chip can decode more than ten HDTV channels at a time. http://www.eurogamer.net/article.php?article_id=61471

He didn't say if he meant HD encoded in MPEG2 or MPEG4, I'm betting he meant MPEG2 as that's most common in broadcast; Sky HD will use MPEG4 (H.264) which requires much more grunt.

As to £500 for Sky HD stb ... Sky+ launch price was £400 plus installation charge (was it £80 or £40?) and it now costs £47. If you cannot afford £500 at launch, wait a while and the price will drop to something you can.

As to £10pm ... that's what Sky+ costs with no premium packages, so I am betting it's gonna be £20pm if one has no premium packages. But then with movies in HD, I will sign up for movie channels.

StooMonster

15. Tejstar

Tejstar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,157
    But Sky will be making money on the box by also locking you into a 12-month contract, much like mobile phone operators. Considering that, it seems that if £500 is true, the box looks grossly overpriced.

16. supermackem

supermackem

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +91
    Im happy with the £10pm charge but the box is a bit step for me.

17. Starburst

Starburst

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +975

The majority of buyers I expect will already have SKY so there will not be a huge amount of extra revenue, yes perhaps £120 in HD subs but that has also got to pay for three new transponders and the HD content/production:)

Compare the speculated price of £500 to the retail price of a similar spec STB that will be used for the Premiere HD service and that will give us an idea of the "value" of the SKY product.

18. Caimbeul

Caimbeul

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25
    I appreciate that the PS3 capabilities are not concreat and that Ken-san is infamous for his wild statements that are usually far from the truth hence my wording if the rumours are to be believed and the figure of 18 streams was simply from memory from reading the same article on both eurogamer and other sites.

It is also true that these product will vastly outsell the sky boxes but dont forget that an additional £120 minimum per year incom per box (if £10pcm is correct for the sub) for sky + people tend to buy new boxes for one reason or another (usually cos they die) which is more money coming in. then if you have a second box etc thats more money, then as more channels are broadcast in HD im sure the fee will increase too.

19. rigman

rigman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +133
    Sky probably leaks the rumours on purpose and then makes the marketing people trawl the net for threads like this to see what the reaction is. £500 for a box is steep but it depends on the specs HDD size etc before I dismiss it totally.
    I have spent many many thousands on my home cinema and if it takes another £500 to use it at its very best where your eyes pop out every time you turn it on then it is money well spent.

20. AndyX

AndyX

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +15
    I was thinking of getting the Sky HD box but £500 would be way to much for it. I guess it would be to fleece early adopters. If there was a £10 per month surcharge as well it would definitely make me wait for a better offer :thumbsdow

21. Noggin1980

Noggin1980

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,175
    500 is to much for me as well. My wife and I agreed that we would go for it at 400 but no more than that (would be alot happier at 300). I guess its wait untill the price comes down time. How many hours of HD would a 160GB hardrive be?

22. DanH

DanH

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +56
    "...and there will be an extra charge of £10 for the high definition channels on top of the normal Sky subscription"

This has been said from the start, but what does the normal subsciption mean exactly? The basic channels? The full Sky package? The sports/movie package?
    Theres no way in hell im getting it if i have to subscibe to the full package (an awfull load of crap) and then pay an extra tenner on top.

I dont mind paying for the basic channels and an extra £10 for HD, but i doubt thats going to happen. Or even maybe £30 at the most just for HD.
    £500 seems a bit dear too, but it will come down in price pretty soon i reckon.

23. Starburst

Starburst

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +975

You would hope that SKY will offer a HD standalone package, they would pocket all the cash after all and not have to share it with anyone else unless Discovery join the party:)

No doubt the price will come down no matter what the actual retail price turns out to be, milking the initial buyers is all par for the course although if you have to have a HD component STB then that's a bit awkward.

24. Starburst

Starburst

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +975

The latest rumour is Valentines day.

It may be right, it may be wrong but if it is a February launch the marketing and promotion needs to kick in NOW.

25. RyanK

RyanK

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +38
    When your wife/girlfriend finds out you spent £500 for a HD Box on valentines days instead of on her your in big trouble :oops:

You`ll be spending the night with Pamela and her 5 friends :devil: :D

26. crambones

crambones

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The excitement is getting too great. I use my 504HDE to watch movies via hdmi because the SD signal is so poor Can't wait for Sky HD to begin. The marketing guys will price to entice not put off

27. superjim

superjim

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I won't be paying £500. I think waiting is the best option, if alot of people wait they'll drop the price - Daddy won't be very happy if his new service goes belly up

28. jamesrich

jamesrich

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Is this using a new DVB standard ? DVBS2 or something?

29. AgentCool

AgentCool

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +184
    The most I would pay for the box is £300. From a technological point-of-view, there's simply no reason it needs to cost any more than that. I mean, it'll need a HD decoder, a HD up-scaler and a Hard Drive. Assuming that the hard drive will surely be at least 250GB and the fact it will be mass-produced, I think £300 is the most they can realistically charge if they want lots of people to buy it.

As for the subscription, £10 a month is pretty much what I expected.

30. dancuprar

dancuprar
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    500 squid, al wait ta