sky + hd killing 2 tvs?????

lordscooby25

Standard Member
Hi
a couple of days ago whilst watching a programme (sky hd box on a lg 42" plasma) tv sort of made a noise and picture went off but sound coming through still so turned tv off and sky off left for a while turned back on still the same so thought ok tv packed up have a rings main tester so checked all sockets for faults and all ok,went out when came back in evening tried again still no good so went and got samsung lcd tv and changed mains plug over to different one from bedroom plugged that in all was working well for about 30 mins and then picture kept going off and coming on and then same bloody noise and screen gone on that one,so now have two tvs knackered looked on net for any help and nothing,so surely its gotta be sky box causing this phoned them up and explained waiting for them to say am i mad,but they never questioned this at all has anyone else ever heard of this happening?????,waiting for a sky engineer to come today and there is no way im gonna plug another tv into this box.
any suggestions or thoughts much appreciated
Dave

Johnbyte

Novice Member
The problem may well be a faulty Sky box, or equally likely a faulty HDMI cable unless you've tried swapping it for a new one, but it's highly unlikely that it's done any damage to either TV.

logiciel

Hi Dave and welcome to AVF.
The next time you post please use sentences, so that our members can have an easier experience of reading.;)

lordscooby25

Standard Member
The problem may well be a faulty Sky box, or equally likely a faulty HDMI cable unless you've tried swapping it for a new one, but it's highly unlikely that it's done any damage to either TV.

cheers for reply well he was stumped as well,but have a nice new sky hd 3d box and cable and put my daughters tv on the new box and working ok.

But the other two tvs still no picture though?????

kevkbuk

Distinguished Member
But the other two tvs still no picture though?????

Have you tried selecting any other inputs? Is anything displayed? For example the TVs built in menus, freeview tuners etc.

Unfortunately the Sky 'Engineer' is very likely not qualified to handle such faults if it was the box. They will just leave you a recon box and take yours back to be reconditioned.

If the TVs are really dead, and assuming the same thing doesn't happen since the box has been replaced, send Sky the repair bills. :D

Johnbyte

Novice Member
A simple, but perhaps impractical way for the OP to test the 2 TVs for sure, is to connect another HDMI source, such as a blu-ray player.

Personally I've never heard of a TV being damaged in this way by a Sky box - maybe others have. I have however seen many reports of HDCP issues which I suspect are more likely to account for this.

Am I right in understanding that, if a device (like a TV) doesn't like the HDCP info it's receiving from something connected to it then it may refuse to connect to it again? Perhaps someone more 'in the know' will comment....

lordscooby25

Standard Member
Have you tried selecting any other inputs? Is anything displayed? For example the TVs built in menus, freeview tuners etc.

Unfortunately the Sky 'Engineer' is very likely not qualified to handle such faults if it was the box. They will just leave you a recon box and take yours back to be reconditioned.

If the TVs are really dead, and assuming the same thing doesn't happen since the box has been replaced, send Sky the repair bills. :D

Hi

No as the screens only sort of flicker and if i try any other inputs i cant see anything on the screen to change,i have tried dvd player through a scart and it just plays sound only.

I said that to sky about bills and they said once the box is out of warranty after 12 months it becomes your property and responsibility lol.

lordscooby25

Standard Member
A simple, but perhaps impractical way for the OP to test the 2 TVs for sure, is to connect another HDMI source, such as a blu-ray player.

Personally I've never heard of a TV being damaged in this way by a Sky box - maybe others have. I have however seen many reports of HDCP issues which I suspect are more likely to account for this.

Am I right in understanding that, if a device (like a TV) doesn't like the HDCP info it's receiving from something connected to it then it may refuse to connect to it again? Perhaps someone more 'in the know' will comment....

Hi
Just plugged the tv into the old mans hd sky box and nothing but screen lights up and the same on my boys ps3

cheers

Dave

Johnbyte

Novice Member
That doesn't sound good. Maybe it's time after all to start thinking about sending repair bills to Sky as kevkbuk suggests...

logiciel

they said once the box is out of warranty after 12 months it becomes your property and responsibility
That's nonsense of course, as it's your property from the moment you get it, and they have responsibility for it long after 12 months.

Johnbyte: I too have never heard of a Sky machine, or anything else, damaging a TV, and HDMI "handshake" problems can take a whole lot of different forms and have different effects, so it's not possible to generalise about them.

electricseamus

You would be hard pressed to provide sufficient evidence that Sky equipment caused the damage. Like others have said, it does sound very unlikely.

Stoo1701

Standard Member
extremely unlikely... the minute voltage over HDMI couldn't possibly cause physical damage, esp. to two different tv's...

Checking another HD source would verify that the sky box is behaving normally, or plug the sky box in to a friend or family's house and check it there. (Make sure all connections are made before firing it up, for extra safety :)

If it were a HDCP issue 'handshaking' the Sky box would still display the menu's etc, just no TV channel. It would show a message such as "This display is not compatible with HDCP, please use an alternate connection method.

If your TV has DVI input, you could try that with HDMI --> DVI adapter (don't forget the Audio lead (3.5mm jack to 2 x phono) if it works as DVI can't transfer audio, but CAN transfer a HD signal.) The 3.5mm jack would be next to the DVI port on the TV, the phono's on the back of the sky box.

Try a software upgrade on the box, this will fix any known issues.. Hold down the BACK-UP button on the BOX, switch off the mains, then switch back on (after a couple of seconds) while constantly holding the backup button down, keep it pressed until all 4 led's light up on the sky box. After 10-20 minutes, the update will complete and the sky box will go into standby. Try the TV's again.

The best way to diagnose is to use alternate connections, try in this order:
Scart
S-Video (if you have the lead)
RF-Out, (this would require tuning the TV in, like in th'old days ;)

Keep us updated on your findings ;)

Member 55145

Distinguished Member
Stumbled on this thread. Original sky hd box killed my 42" toshiba LCD tv. Fortunately toshiba took it in under warranty and company I bought it from gave me a refund.

I also remember at the time people's pioneer tvs were going pop

logiciel

If it was the Sky machine that damaged the TV why was it the TV people that took responsibility?:confused:

Member 55145

Distinguished Member
If it was the Sky machine that damaged the TV why was it the TV people that took responsibility?:confused:

well i wasnt gonna tell em that the sky box broke it now was i? lol then id never get it fixed.

but basically the input board got fried (Like the pioneers) and it was beyond economical repair.

not sure what the end result was, but i know there was a big hoo ha at the time

logiciel

OK - can't blame you for saving yourself the hassle of making Sky pay for it.:)

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Trinnov Room Optimiser: A full explanation of Trinnov and its room optimiser technology
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom