SKY HD, just thought this...

Discussion in 'Sky Digital TV Forum' started by dino2021, Mar 14, 2005.

1. dino2021

dino2021

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +138
    There service isnt going to be just HD on this box it will also receive , non hd channels and these will have to go out the HDMI port too as sky have said it will be its primary means of connection, so the people with plasmas that can take a 50hz?? HDMI/DVI input will have normal sky channels in digital, just like the the SDI modded box now.

Thoughts

2. John

John

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,353
    Normally when "primary" is mentioned , there is normally "secondary" to follow .So the question is , will it be Component , Scart , Svid or RF .Or a combination of the 4 (like existing SKY+ box) . My money is on HDMI , Component and Scart. But its all speculation at the moment
    JS

3. Gordon @ Convergent AV

Gordon @ Convergent AV
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,111
    Just to add to the speculation....Analogue outputs will most likely be downscaled to SD/ED. I'd imagine that SD channels will be output at upscaled or de-interlaced resolutions through the HDMI port.

SDI is a thing called 4:2:2 digital component signal SD 480i/576i.
    HDMI can be 4:2:2 digital component 480i/576i but the reality is that it's usually at least 480P and it's also usually n 4:4:4 RGB colourspace.

What does this mean....well it means that the forthcoming HD box will not be outputting the same sorts of signals as the current SDI modded Plus boxes.....

Gordon

4. RobbieTT

RobbieTT

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Gordon,

You've lost me, but you have my interest all the same. Feel free to dumb down a little, because I like the thought of all my feeds being digital.

A number of people have mentioned this SDI modded sky(+?) box. I never like to look too dumb so have not asked this before, but what is it and can my V2 Sky+ box be modded to provide a digital feed to a plasma? (I could guess not, otherwise everyone would be doing it...)

5. Gordon @ Convergent AV

Gordon @ Convergent AV
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,111
    The V2 SkyPlus box is not able to be modded to output an SDI signal.

Basically the mpeg data transmitted to your satellite box is decompressed in a chip called an MPEG decoder. This decompressed digital data takes the form of a digital component video signal. Ideally you would want to tap in to this clean digital data and have it sent to a video processor where it could be de-interlaced and scaled and sent digitally to your display.

The problem with V2 boxes is that the MPEG decoder and the bits which turn the digital data in to analogue RGB, svideo and composite video signals are all on one integrated circuit with no ability to tap off the digital data. The original box used a couple of chips and left the digital bus available for retrieving this data.

Gordon

6. dino2021

dino2021

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +138
    Sorry for any confusion i wasnt trying to compare it to SDI , was just trying to say that it will be digital video of SD channels and that is a good thing :)

Glad I bought the XDE now, probly the only way to get great PQ on them with sky is gonna be this way, so for every one saying there is no need to worry about sky hd now, there is if you want HD and digital video on SD.

7. ladypickers

ladypickers

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Gordon

I have wranglings with Sky at the moment if I do eventually upgrade to Sky+ and I do get a choice of box (which I probably will) what in your opinion should I try to get Pace V1 or V2, I've heard V1 is better coz it can be modded & V2 is better if not modded ro are the +160 boxes better & can they be modded. How much difference does SDI make

8. John

John

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,353
    I would have thought there is absolutely no chance of getting a V1 box from Sky. You would be lucky to get a V2 Pace box , more likely to get a V2 Amstrad box . V1 was discontinued about 2 years ago

John

9. edinburgh160

edinburgh160

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    try and avoid getting an Amstrad though. I upgraded to SKY+ three months ago and this is the 2nd hard drive to go. Im furious, and when they come on Wednesday I have told them I want a PACE or alternative.