Sky HD Installed Today

plaver

Prominent Member
Reaction score
Bannockburn, Australia & Benfleet England
I had the Sky install team turn up today to install Sky for the first time, 3 guys, 3 vans. After a brief chat and cuppa then started the install, They advised that the phone line had to be connected all the first, I questioned this and there response was it's for updating the box, first time I have heard of this being as I didn't have multi-room. Anyone else heard and had this done.

Now the import stuff, I've got mine connected to Pio 506 and I hoping a someone here has the same set-up and could advise what settings there are using in the sky HD box, i.e the screen settings 720p 1080i auto etc what's best for my screen

Any hints, tips and advice would be much appreciated.

They advised that the phone line had to be connected all the first, I questioned this and there response was it's for updating the box, first time I have heard of this being as I didn't have multi-room. Anyone else heard and had this done.
The Sky contract usually dictates that you have the phone line connected, they hope you'll be using the active services and ordering box office events, both of which need the connection. The box does not update any software over the telephone line, it uses the satellite signal for that.

With my Pioneer I have the output fixed at 1080i. Some prefer 720p, see what you prefer. If you use the auto setting the box and the TV will keep changing resolution, which is a bit annoying.

It's more important in the early stages to calibrate and burn in your display.

Auto works best for me - the 506 is much better than the Sky box for upscaling SD pictures. The rest of the box picture settings I leave on default. For the TV, set the input to user and see what works best for you - for me, it's colour knocked well back, pure cinema off, cti on, dynamic contrast off, both NRs off, black level off, acl on.

Then you sit back, wait a few months and your hdmi input fails.:)

John

The Sky contract usually dictates that you have the phone line connected, they hope you'll be using the active services and ordering box office events, both of which need the connection. The box does not update any software over the telephone line, it uses the satellite signal for that.

With my Pioneer I have the output fixed at 1080i. Some prefer 720p, see what you prefer. If you use the auto setting the box and the TV will keep changing resolution, which is a bit annoying.

It's more important in the early stages to calibrate and burn in your display.

I aways thought that the updates came via the dish but they were very keen on connecting the phone line and spent quite a while putting in the new cable. I had three guys, The installer, A Trainee and Supervisor here for about 3 hours.

I tried 720p but after saving the setting to 720p the screen went blank and the setting went back 1080i. Very strange

Auto works best for me - the 506 is much better than the Sky box for upscaling SD pictures. The rest of the box picture settings I leave on default. For the TV, set the input to user and see what works best for you - for me, it's colour knocked well back, pure cinema off, cti on, dynamic contrast off, both NRs off, black level off, acl on.

Then you sit back, wait a few months and your hdmi input fails.:)

John

Thanks for info, I thought the HDMI and Sky HD box issue was fixed now. :eek:

Thanks for info, I thought the HDMI and Sky HD box issue was fixed now. :eek:

Pioneer have a fix and you can register on their website for it but they won't carry it out unless the problem happens with your unit. To be fair, they were very efficient at sorting it all out when it happened to me.

John

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom