Sky HD installation this weekend but no phone line

Discussion in 'Sky Digital TV Forum' started by dscott21, Feb 5, 2009.

1. dscott21

dscott21

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Hi Guys,

Having Sky HD installed on Saturday, however I can see a huge argument brewing between the me, the installer and Sky as I have no phone line.

I am an existing Sky subscriber and have been for the past 12 years, when I first got Sky I did have a phone line and it was plugged in for at least 3 years. Since we get free calls with mobiles nowadays and can take it with you, we decided only a few years ago to ditch the landline.

Last year my Sky+ box broke and I managed to do a deal with Sky for a brand new box (PVR3) for £50 as my existing one was way out of warranty (had it for about 3 years).

They insisted that they had someone round to install the replacement box - it didn't cost me any extra so I agreed. When the installer came round and noticed there was no phone line at the house, he said that I would have to ring Sky and explain.

When I called them up we had a really big argument and they tried to charge me a fee, however after explaining that the box that I currently have, had been plugged in to the phone line for the first 3 years of having it, and this new box was simply just a replacement, they eventually waived the fee.

When the new £75 Sky HD deal came about, I checked all the terms and conditions before ordering online and couldn't find anywhere a condition that stated that existing customers will need to have the new Sky HD box plugged in to a phone line for 12 months minimum. For this reason I decided to place the order.

After I completed the online ordering process, I carefully checked every page and still no mention of the phone line. It was only until after I had entered my credit card details in and selected my delivery date that my order was confirmed and that I would have to ensure there is a phone line in the house!!!

Does anyone have any idea what will happen when the installer arrives on Saturday and finds I have no phone line?

Cheers

2. Sephiroth0000

Sephiroth0000

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +81
    Blag it! Engineers love a quick and easy job. Ofeer the guy a cup of tea, bacon sarnie if needed (hmmmm bacon sarnie :D) and when he comes to the telephone lead bit just be like no worries mate I'll lay that. Make excuses that you got to go out or something!

To be fair with you he probably won't care. Or let him run the phone line and plug it in and thats it. Even though you have no phoneline providing he sees it plug into a phone point he'll be happy! Enjoy HD

3. pricklespons

pricklespons

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    I havent got a phone line, and they installed SKY HD fine at mine, it just means you lose the interactive services, and you cant book sky box office on line!! it should be fine

4. Matt.Seymour

Matt.Seymour
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    I had Sky HD installed 10 days ago.
    My experience was somewhat different, i already had Sky+ and one standard box, on a Multi-Room subscription.
    I had the Sky+ box re-located to my daughter's bedroom, anyway, once the install was complete, the engineer used a special PDA to contacy Sky, and "Pair" up all of the cards, and Sky insisted that the boxes were connected to the phone, but i am pretty sure that any Multi-Room box, must be connected to an active phone-line.
    If your Sky HD, is your " Sole " box, then you should be ok, however, if my memory serves me correct, you may incur a £25.00 surcharge.

5. jenic

jenic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +182
    If the installer says anything just say that bt are coming to put a phone line in next week, and you'll sort it out then so just leave the cable loose.

6. dscott21

dscott21

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Thanks for this guys, we'll see what happens Saturday morning when the installer turns up.

Should be fun and games i reckon !

7. tricky0001979

tricky0001979

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +34
    just buy a cheap extension cable fora couple of quid and when the engineer comes to install just say that you plan to run the extension in trunking he'll use your cable to connect when he goes take it out.

8. SkyVanMan

SkyVanMan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +19
    Doesent matter about running an extension line that doesent work, cos he'll now it wont work, as you have to do a callback to register the box. The only other way to activate it is for him to phone an activate it. At which point they'll ask why they havent recived a callback from the box, heres when they need to talk to you, never know, they might waver it again.

9. bazmunro7

bazmunro7

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    i called sky about this issue the other day as i dont have a phone line and they said i had 6 weeks to get one installed after the HD is installed! tell the engineer ur waiting on ur phone line to be installed by SKY and u'll be fine!

10. dscott21

dscott21

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    If they don't any idea, on how much they will try and sting me for, and any ideas on how to avoid paying it?