Sky HD Installation Charge Question

WilliamTM

Hi all, just joined. I found the site on Google, and since I'm probably gonna get Sky HD at my new house, I thought I'd join. All the other forums look boring, but this one seems fairly active. :D

Anyway, onto my question. I'm going to be moving into a new house in about a week, and there's a 99% chance I'll be getting Sky HD installed. However, as the house is a rental, there was someone living there before me, and they obviously had either Sky+ or Sky HD installed, because there's a dish on the house already with a quad LNB and a dual cable coming into the lounge.

Anyway, what I wanted to ask is if I get a new Sony HDTV from PC World or Currys or someplace like that, they give you the option of getting Sky HD for only £149 instead of the usual £299. That excludes the price of installation though, and I was wondering about that: if the dish is in place, there's no need for an installation to take place, right? I can just plug the HD box into the TV, arial, and so on, and all should be fine? So I'd save £60?

Or does someone still need to come out and fiddle around with the box and it's settings and such? :confused:

Also, what cables does the thing usually come with, brand new from Sky?

Anyway, if someone could answer those questions, it would be appreciated. :thumbsup:

choddo2006

Novice Member
They need to initialise it by calling Sky & hooking it up to a phone line, I'm sure that's documented on the web somewhere though (and probably on here)

It comes with HDMI.

WilliamTM

Well...this is interesting. I emailed Sky and they want to charge £60 installation even though there's already a dish with a quad LNB at my new house.

They said it's so the installer can come out and "check the dish is compatible with the service you require".

Well, I think if they want to charge that, I'm going to take the dish and wiring off the house and sell it on eBay, and they can give me a new one.

At least then it'll be properly installed too, as the current dish just has the cable thrown over the roof and it's in the wrong place where I want it in the room.

Hell, even if I sold the dish for £5, that's still £5 more then I started with!

colham

Novice Member
If you're unsure, take the £60 hit for install - and force the issue about repositioning the cabling - your buck after all.

If you don't mind about that, there's local installers and websites that will sell you a box for £150 + postage, which can be hooked up yourself really easily. However, if you're not an existing subscriber, I'm not sure how you go about getting the viewing card - maybe someone else knows??

city fan

Novice Member
If you get it through Currys or Comet you do not get the box off them. It comes with the installer so you have to pay the £60 fee.

I tried it when upgrading from Sky+. Was going to get one on E bay but could get one any less than £250 at the time, so went with Currys and the installer and paid £210. If you can get a box for less that £210 do it yourself. The installer only puts it in and pairs your card, he did not touch my dish or cables.

If you get the box from E bay or other source it should come with a card to pair up. I'm sure those ones on E bay said came with a card

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Q Acoustics Q3030i, Humax Aura, Roku Streambar & WandaVision Reviews and more...
Top Bottom