SKy HD install - single lnb & cable ?

css_jay99

I with regards to Sky HD, have just spoken to sky and was informed that my current dish setup has to be changed into having lnb with twin output and then the cable changed as well to a twin one. I was not aware of this.

Sky was already installed in my house before i bought it from the previous owners. its a 1994 build hence pasterborad wall
The cable was not passed along the house but via the loft and comes out of the conduit for possibly the loft Aeriel straight into the lounge downstairs

my questions are:-

Install process
I dont have a clue of how they must have passed the sky cable possibly into the same conduit as the Aeriel, maybe it was done during the house build hence by bellway homes

If i was to change the single cable into twin cable, how the heck would I do that ? is there a technique ?

use of existing single cable
i dont realy need sky+ / HD but I just need a way of testing my LCD. Can I just buy sky HD box and just use my single lnb/single cable to watch free bbc HD as well as my standard sky SD or is a twin cable a must ?

good scart lead
what are good decent scart leads that I can get from hight street shops (commet/currys/richersounds/asda) ?, something not really more than £25

cheers

css_jay99

colham

Install process
I dont have a clue of how they must have passed the sky cable possibly into the same conduit as the Aeriel, maybe it was done during the house build hence by bellway homes

If i was to change the single cable into twin cable, how the heck would I do that ? is there a technique ?

I'd check with the installer. I reckon you'll find they put the cable round the brickwork outside. If you're using a reputable local installer they may be more careful than the Sky chimps.

use of existing single cable
i dont realy need sky+ / HD but I just need a way of testing my LCD. Can I just buy sky HD box and just use my single lnb/single cable to watch free bbc HD as well as my standard sky SD or is a twin cable a must ?
ARE YOU MAD!!!

You'll find that once you have Sky+ - you NEEDED Sky+. You basically need a cable for each of the tuners in the box.

good scart lead
what are good decent scart leads that I can get from hight street shops (commet/currys/richersounds/asda) ?, something not really more than £25
The Sky HD box comes with an HDMI cable - your LCD tv should have an HDMI port. Otherwise, I think it has a Scart lead - but check out Play.com or Amazon, as the high street can be a bit of a rip off.

Tuscan

A quick question following on from the original question:

If Sky+ is installed, to get Sky HD (apart from the obvious box) does everything else stay the same e.g LNB & cabling.

Thanks.........Tuscan

css_jay99

I'd check with the installer. I reckon you'll find they put the cable round the brickwork outside. If you're using a reputable local installer they may be more careful than the Sky chimps.

There are no cables running anywhere along the outside walls, and I am am almost positive that it is not possible to feed a wire from the loft to downstairs lounge. This only leave a possibility that they might have snipped the old aeriel wire in the loft and then attach to that end a sky and a new Aeriel wire , and then pull the whole lot from the lounge. Just a theory !

ARE YOU MAD!!!
You'll find that once you have Sky+ - you NEEDED Sky+. You basically need a cable for each of the tuners in the box.
Bear in mind that once i have fully tested my new LCD screen, I really dont care about sky+ or HD. I am happy going back to my normal sky SD viewing.

Since there are two tuners, I would have thought that If I just connected only one of them (though sky + functionality will not work but) it should allow me to VIEW SKY SD(i.e my subscribed channels) and BBC HD. I am almost positive that pulling one cable out from any working SkY HD box will not bring the whole SKY BOX down. It would just mean you will not be able to record. This again is theory. I am sure HD owners can test this

If the above theory works, then it means I am potentially (more like half installation) upgrading to a SKY HD BOX with no SKY+ benefit. Kinda like not subscribing to SKY+ ( bcos I am limited by subscription & missing cable :D )

I dont want to buy a 46" LCD without putting it via its pace :D

chees !

erniebert1

A quick question following on from the original question:

If Sky+ is installed, to get Sky HD (apart from the obvious box) does everything else stay the same e.g LNB & cabling.

Thanks.........Tuscan

Hi m8

To upgrade from sky to sky + you need addition cabling from your dish to your box.

To upgrade from sky + to Sky HD all you need is a HD box. All the engineer does is unscrew the cables from the back of the sky + box and screw them into the back of the HD box. Add the hdmi cable from the box to your tv. Then he phones sky up, pairs your card with the hd box and 5 mins later you have sky HD :thumbsup:

lee

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Sky Glass, Epson Laser Projectors plus Home Cinema Subwoofers and More…
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom