Sky HD install question

Discussion in 'Sky Digital TV Forum' started by purplehornet, Feb 10, 2009.

1. purplehornet

purplehornet
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi all - Long time listener, first time caller.....

A question if you don't mind, before I spend half an hour waiting for SKy to be answer the phone

I was due to have Sky HD installed today (new customer). I have a Sky dish on the chimney breast of the house which needs new a LNB and cabling to make it HD compatible, in situ from a previous owner (I've been on cable). However, the Sky "Heights" team have refused to do the job as I have "decorative tiles" on my roof, which apparently bars them from doing anything. According to their CS team, nothing can be done and I have had to cancel my order.

As such, I'm thinking of getting a local installer to do the fitting of the LNB and cable. My question: If I do this, do you think/know if Sky will allow me to have the £49 box offer? I suggested this to woman who cancelled my order, but she wasn't having any of it.

FYI the dish is in the only possible position, I live in a listed building which limits our options somewhat....

Thanks in advance for your thoughts guys - any other solutions welcomed!

2. Trollslayer

Trollslayer
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10,836
    Speak to the local installer, they'll want the business.
    The other option is to go up and change the LNB yourself and run the extra cable down but that is your decision.

3. purplehornet

purplehornet
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hey, thanks.

I have spoken with a couple of local installers (non-sky but ASAs) who are struggling to get HD boxes. The guy who I want to install the cabling/LNB doesn't supply the box. I was hoping to have HD soon, and given that all the Sky bod would have to do is plug in the box, I would have thought it wouldn't have been too much of an issue. Has anyone else had a similar issue?

4. jnuff

jnuff
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I had simular issue when i first had sky installed due to having to run off my neighbors dish (tall tree problem), i fitted the cable and the sky guy just pinned it in place and put it through the wall.
    Should be the same with sky HD .

5. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,218
    IF you get the 2 dish feeds to room you want to HD in sky just need to deliver a box. just phone and reorder, be prepared to wait tho

6. purplehornet

purplehornet
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hey there. Just a quick note to let anyone interested know that I got sorted with the £49 deal, being installed Sunday. Thanks for your input guys.

7. newboy2008

newboy2008

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +90
    well done mate.Good deal you got and very quick install.:thumbsup:

8. purplehornet

purplehornet
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Oh I got a £50 credit for being messed around in the 1st place too:)

9. Hippogriff

Hippogriff

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    I was thinking... Sky must lose a lot of money in a year with all these credits they keep giving back to customers because they've been messed around, given wrong information, been billed incorrectly or are just dissatisfied.

I don't begrudge anyone getting discounts / refunds / goodwill payments if they deserve it - but, at the end of the day, it's all our (all of us) money that we're paying to Sky for them to then fritter away rather unnecessarily.

Why don't they just invest in some proper training for their CSR population... the training costs must easily be offset by the reduction in payments to customers.

Or is it a case of "you can't you polish a turd" and the Sky employees are just another fine example of the UK Service industry at work?

10. purplehornet

purplehornet
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0

Certainly their systems need looking at. I spoke to a CSR in the afternoon, who escalated my complaint to a team leader. We had 'protracted' discussions about my issue, she promised to call me back at 4pm with a resolution. It didn't happen. So I called back at 5.30, got through to what I subsequently discovered was another call centre, and when I asked to speak to the same team leader as I had previously, I was told I couldn't as the file notes didn't identify which team leader I had spoken to (just that I had spoken to one).

I then spoke to another team leader, who categorically stated that I had to cancel my order. Only for me call and reinstate it with the sales team the following morning, with no issue whatsoever.

Clearly a case of left arm not knowing what the right is doing.