1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sky HD info: National Geographic HD

Discussion in 'Sky Digital TV Forum' started by Wilt, Aug 11, 2005.

1. Wilt

Wilt

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +30
  2. Starburst

Starburst

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +979
    The more the merrier although "almost certain" still leaves plenty of wiggle room:)
    Next question is what resolution and will they choose to go HDMI only.

3. 2 Point

2 Point

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    NG is likely to be 1080. HDMI will not be used for this content.

4. Starburst

Starburst

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +979

A very defintive statement:)

Any information to back that up or just an educated guess?

5. Stephen Neal

Stephen Neal

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +681
    Think you mean HDCP? I think there will be a lot of miffed viewers if their HDMI connection doesn't carry video for some channels...

6. Howard Pitfield

Howard Pitfield

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
  7. 2 Point

2 Point

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Definitive. The only content that will be protected will be movies, potentially some sports but on a much lower scale.

The protection will not kick in for a least 2 years.

8. richard plumb

richard plumb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,017
    surely they can use HDCP protection immediately, as you'll have a HDMI/HDCP set so no problems.

But likewise, surely they can't stop the output over component - ever? If they allow me to subscribe to HD as an early adopter because my set doesn't have HDCP, they can't expect me to buy a HD ready set after just 2 years?

Either wait at least 5 years, and give at least 12 months notice for people to switch, or track it based on users. So if I stop my subscription, Sky can disable the component outputs on that box in case I sell it on.

9. Starburst

Starburst

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +979

Sorry but only SKY at this time has given any assurance that they will not enforce the HDCP protocol on their own branded HD broadcasts and that includes movies/movies and entertainment.
    As for the 2 plus years well that has to be a guess since I don't believe SKY could know for sure a second generation STB won't be on the market before then and they themselves won't guarantee a HD component option for that box. SKY have also confirmed that the option to use HDMI only is open to third party broadcasters so again you can not predict what a broadcaster may do who hasn't even announced a potential HD launch yet.

If you know something above and beyond what is available in the public domain then say so and if you are just extrapolating from the current information given by SKY then make that clear as well.

I am quite open to the idea that you know exactly what NG may do if indeed they launch a HD channel and the same applies to Discovery Theatre and even the long term plans of SKY after all you may work for them but only a fool would attempt to say they know exactly what is going to happen on a platform that does not exist and has already gone through a radical change since it was first announced.
    Of course the bigger fool would be someone who actually believed these difinitive claims from a poster on a public forum and based their purchases on them!

10. Starburst

Starburst

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +979

Indeed.
    There is nothing stopping NG, BBC or Discovery Theatre HD (IF any of them actually offer a HD channel) from using HDMI only for native HD output and enforcing content control via HDCP.

SKY's announcment of allowing HD via component means that you can view all of SKY's own HD channels but SKY don't control what other broadcasters do. So far SKY have said that component HD will be on the first gen box which could mean a second gen box will be HDMI only but it would seem reasonable to assume that the component facility of the first box would remain intact. Of course we do not know exactly what sort of deal has been done between the US studios and SKY so anything is possible, HDMI could be totally compromised by the time a second STB is released.

Of course anyone buying a HD display now would be foolish not to get a future proof HD Ready panel, otherwise it is a gamble that HD sources won't be restricted to HDCP compliant connections only such as the PS3 and HD optical players.

11. richard plumb

richard plumb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,017
    I imagine a lot of the HD STBs in the US with component outputs helped Sky's cause.

Plus it still prevents digital copies. Best you can get from component is an analog copy, and frankly if you're going to do that, you'd do it from a source in the states, where there are plenty of component HD STBs, and more movies shown.

You guys that use usenet would know that though, right? :p

12. Starburst

Starburst

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +979

Yeah in the US they had HD first before any viable method of protecting broadcast digital content unlike the EU in which HDCP and HD are synching nicely in the eyes of the distributors.

Most of the US content gets captured via PC OTA/Sat or Cable cards direct to the hard drive or via firewire, none of this analogue stuff, not that I would know of course and by no means am I going to watch the last Scooby Doo in HD tomorrow:)